Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I wish I knew what was wrong :(  (Read 752 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I wish I knew what was wrong :(
« on: December 04, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
I will explain my concern like I have before.  I am still convinced that I have a brain tumor.  And the reason being I have used wireless headsets for 2 years intermittently.  I began having a sharp pain above my right temple around late June of this year - so about 6 months now.  It will occasionally shoot/radiate to the back of my head as well.

But last night I felt almost like a whooshing sound in my right ear with some pain too and ringing in my left ear - but not the right.  I lay down to go to bed last night and I had the pain above my right temple again and it went to the back of my head but it wasn't nearly as sharp and severe.  But I worry that's the brain tumor pressing on my skull.  But the thing is, I don't have pain where I use the headset.  The pain is a good 3 inches from the area where I actually use it.  I will also sometimes have a weak feeling in my right ankle/foot, but I still walk normally.  I did notice something though - when I'm not worrying about it (like my mind is distracted) the pain isn't there.  Because if anyone read my post about having an earworm, I didn't seem to have pain when I was occupied with that.

I will also have some pain in my right cheek bone.  I do want to add that one morning, the backside of my head on the right side was numb when I woke up...I got up immediately and moved around and it went away fast.  I haven't had that happen since.  As I have said before, I went to the doctor about having headaches before, but I was just having bad headaches not the pain above my right temple.  They did a neurological test (but no MRI since they didn't feel the need to order me one) and said that I was fine.

I'm apologize for this being so long, but I didn't want to leave ANYTHING out.  Can someone please help me?  I'm just so anxious, because I just know something is wrong and I am positive it's a brain tumor...or if it isn't then one will develop soon due to my work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: I wish I knew what was wrong :(
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »
I have known a number of people who have had brain tumors and all of them
had progressively worsening headaches.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline DaphneNL

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
I had a discussion with my boyfriend about this wireless headset thing. Because it's his field of work he knows a lot about radiation and the influence on our bodies. He told me that it's possible to develop a brain tumor from using a wireless headset. Chances though are about 1 in 10.000.000 according to research.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NewMommyTX

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
I had a whooshing sound in my right ear then vibration sounds in my left. Went to the doctor and she said there's a significant amount of fluid in my left ear. She prescribed antibiotics and gave me a steroid shot
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
Thank you for the responses everyone.

I guess I just get concerned since the chances are still there.  If they was no chance of developing a tumor from the headsets, then I would be fine.  I did have a discussion with my mom and even she is getting tired of hearing me complain.  So she said that if I was absolutely concerned with my health, then she would let me quit.

But, my debate is that if I quit, then I can't pay for college.  I have looked for other jobs, but no one is hiring.  So do I quit to ease my mind?

Anyway, back to the topic...I was wondering if I had fluid in my ear too, but the last time I went to the doctors about my ears, they just cleaned them and I felt fine too.  Could the whooshing have been from earwax?  And how long and frequent do you have to use something like a headset to have something like a tumor occur DaphneNL?  Again thank you.   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Again, not to scare you, but cancer starts with one cell going rogue because it mutated in a wrong way. This is something some cells are more vulnerable to, due to genetic defects and/or damage done by external influences. Researchers believe that cells that are already weakened can be influenced by radiation. They don't know for sure, but that's most likely. You can say that they think that a tumor already waiting to happen will more likely develop into a tumor under the influence of radiation, but they also think you have to use something like a wireless headphone for multiple hours a day for years. Please read my sentences with care. I'm telling you the chance is extremely extremely small. It's so small that researchers didn't discover enough cases of this to be sure. The positive side of this is that you can help protect your cells against radiation by eating healthy, especially antioxidants can really make a difference.
Because radiation is everywhere these days, more and more vegetable growers develop new kinds of fruits and vegetables that are extremely high in antioxidants. Ever heard of blue tomatoes? They are really full of them. Brocolli, beans, all kinds of fruits (the deeper the color, the better), they can help you protect yourself against radiation, but also pollution.
Speaking of this, my boyfriends dad died in 2001 of a brain tumor. He never, ever had whooshings in his ear. And that tumor was big.
Whooshings are almost always a symptom of earwax (that can be clotted against you eardrum, making it whoosh with every sound, movement or muscle twitch) or some fluids. I'm not sure if you clean your ears a lot because of your anxiety? Because that too can cause problems.
I think you should try to find out why you're so anxious. You have to decide if you want to live, have fun, have a career and maybe die of a brain tumor when you're 65, or if you want to control everything, try to protect yourself from anything that may be (chance 1 in 10.000.000) harming your health and compromise on things that can make you happy and successful and live up to a 100.
In my opinion, anxiety is a much bigger hazard to your health than a wireless headset.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
I think quitting would be a BAD move.

Think about it logically for a moment.

You're considering quitting your job which is helping you pay for college in a 1 in TEN THOUSAND chance you may develop cancer from using a headset in the future.

If you consider that. Every single job has sime level of risk. Living has some level of risk. Even breathing air in a city has a certain level of risk.

Allowing the anxiety to win by quitting your job over such a minuscule risk would be a very bad move for your recovery against health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
I'm sorry I read the stats above incorrectly.

Quoting your job based on a 1 in 10 MILLION chance would be even worse.

There are people who work in encironments much more dangerous and toxic than a call centre every day and they're fine. Your work wouldn't be allowed to purchase those headsets if their safety was even the slightest bit questionable. It wouldn't be worth the lawsuits.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
I keep trying to say that to my coworkers and some of them are saying that everyone is different...meaning that some people are more sensitive to radiation than others.  Of course I worry that after 2 years of using these, that the damage has been done to my brain.

I asked my mother again, and she said while she doesn't want me to be jobless, she'd rather stop hearing me complain.

I guess, I feel that after 2 years, some effect will take place.  Maybe not now, but in the future.

I got rid of my cell phone in February of this year, so about 10 months without one because I was so paranoid of the radiation from it.  Now I have the headsets, and I CAN'T get rid of them.

Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 83
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »
I did notice something though - when I'm not worrying about it (like my mind is distracted) the pain isn't there. 

I think this is the key to your concerns right here, Caribou.

You want to make absolutely sure that what you're doing is safe, but that's the thing—there are no guarantees IN LIFE.

My dad was 67 years old when he was diagnosed with the brain tumor that killed him. Do you know how many times he'd used a cell phone in his life? Five, maybe six. Wireless radiation played ZERO roll in the formation of his tumor. What caused it? We don't know, and we'll never know. So how do you prevent that from happening? There are no preventative measures so wide that we can rule out every single ailment. Most brain tumors are impervious to things like healthy eating and antioxidant intake—they just don't work that way. What are you supposed to do then, lock yourself in your room and never come out? I mean, I guess that's a possibility, but that sounds awfully limiting. The bottom line is, you can't prevent every bad thing from happening to you in life, so to fret SO SOUNDLY about something that is very likely to do you no harm seems like an unnecessary waste of time. People have been using cellular technology for ... almost twenty years now. If phones alone were so liable to give us cancer, wouldn't you think there'd be warnings about it by now?

Listen, I get that you're concerned. I don't want to come off as insensitive. When we get so wrapped up in these health concerns they can be DEADLY SERIOUS in our minds. But the important part to know is that by and large, they're not real threats, and if we take the time and the effort to work through our anxieties, a lot of these fears can be alleviated or better managed. I don't know what you're doing to treat your obvious anxiety, but if you're not doing anything, I encourage you to do so. It won't be easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but it will help you be able to live a calmer, fuller, less anxious life where you're not worried about whether two years of head set usage is going to give you cancer.

Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
I completely agree with vardnas!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
I have another reason to believe I have a tumor.  This week I have had 2 nose bleeds - from the RIGHT side (the same side as the pain).  The first one didn't last long...it was kind of like a regular nose bleed.

But the second one was bad.  I was at work and I had an itch in my nose, and when I itched I think there was dry mucus because I scratched it and it was painful.  After that, the nose bleed wouldn't stop gushing.  I had to go home early because it was so bad.  It started (I think) at 12:35 and didn't stop until 1:15, with the major bleeding going on until about 12:45.  I was spitting up blood because it was going down my throat.  I had suffered from nose bleeds my whole childhood, but haven't had any in the past few years.  I had a few earlier this year during my leukemia fear, but hadn't had any since then.

I just see as the nose bleed as another symptom that I have a brain tumor (from the headsets).  I think I'm finally going to go to the doctor about this because I can't take not knowing anymore.  I really feel hopeless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
I want to add something else.  My heart rate will be fast for no reason sometimes.  There are times when I don't feel anxious and it will suddenly start beating fast and then it will make me anxious even more.

Can a brain tumor cause a high heart rate too?

I am making an appointment for the 20th and will ask about the headsets.  Any other questions I should ask my doctor?
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:55:53 AM »
You obviously dont believe a word we're saying. I hope the doc can give you some more peace of mind. Take care!
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »
I want to add something else.  My heart rate will be fast for no reason sometimes.  There are times when I don't feel anxious and it will suddenly start beating fast and then it will make me anxious even more.

Can a brain tumor cause a high heart rate too?

I really don't know but I know something that does cause a fast heart rate. Anxiety. If you have been around a bit you will know that you don't need to feel anxious to experience the anxiety. Frankly, the most simple assumption here is that it is caused by you being anxious, not through some nasty!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: