Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety in Resteraunts  (Read 752 times)

Offline tlebo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety in Resteraunts
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
I find that one of my main anxiety triggers is going out to eat. I'm usually fine with family and my boyfriend (although there have been several times where I couldn't eat with them) but I find it hard with people I don't know well or people I work with. The 4 girls at work always go out for a Christmas lunch. The worst thing I think is the before hand.. We (well.. they) planned a lunch for 2 weeks from now and I am just constantly dreading it. I basically get anxiety about getting anxiety. I'm nervous that I'll be anxious while we're there and that I'll just want to leave but I can't. A lot of the time once I get to the restaurant I'm fine, but there have been a few times where I'm anxious and awkward and feel gaggy and can't eat. I'm just going to see how I feel the day of the lunch and if I'm too anxious just tell them I'm not feeling well. My problem is I honestly just don't want to go.. But then I feel like I'm giving up and giving into the anxiety.
Why can't we just go to work, do our job, and go home?

What would you do? Give in or go?
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety in Resteraunts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
If it's something that's important to you, you should go, even if it's uncomfortable. If it's truly not important to you, then you shouldn't feel obligated to do it just to appease other people. So I guess if I were you I would decide whether it's something that's important and then make the decision based on that.

If you're thinking about it a lot though, it might suggest that it's something that's meaningful to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Js

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:17:55 PM »
Hey,
I have anxiety in a restaurant when I'm eating alone but as I keep doing it more often I'm doing better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline london23

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
hey..i have a similar problem..whenever i go out to eat somewhere i can never eat properly..i feel as though im being watched and stuck in the room im eating..its not bad now but i still cant fully eat comfortably
Bookmark and Share
If my advice has helped you then please leave me a rec.

Offline silentfrost

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
Those work lunches are nothing but awkward.  I used to go to a few of them when I first started my career but now keep them down to a minimum.  I much prefer to go to lunch with one or two people then the entire team!
Bookmark and Share

Offline YoloGirl31

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »
I get the same feeling sometimes. Exposure is always the best choice but it is easier said then done.  Maybe the week before you could go out to eat at the same restaurant and sorta practice? Or maybe you could drag your boyfriend on your outing with you and your coworkers? Sometimes having someone there helps
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »
I'm the same way, but I'm a different person since I've started taking Benzos. Some of the things I used to dread, like going to the movies, I look forward to now.

Since going out to eat with your co-workers doesn't sound like a regular thing, a benzodiazapine may be a good option.

Hopefully, you can explain your situation to a doctor and she'll be understanding.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety