Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Believing intrusive thoughts?  (Read 999 times)

Offline lsbr

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Believing intrusive thoughts?
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
For a long time now, I've been obsessive obsessing over what I believe about for example other people. After realizing that I've always assumed certain things, but never reflected on them. Now when I do think about them, I cant really imagine they're actually true. This of coarse has led to questioning what I actually believe.

However, now I'm noticing that my way of thinking about those things is changing, as if I actually had stopped believing in them. Ie as if I have starten believing my intrusive thoughts (at least I keep telling myself they are). Has anyone else experienced this? Unwanted thoughts are one thing, but can you start believing something you don't want to believe? If that makes any sense.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Believing intrusive thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:45:42 AM »
Perhaps you can help us by clarifying what you believe about other people that you either question or think is true.

Other people can be tough to know, to be sure. Knowing ourself can be tough too. It makes best sense to try and know ourself first which can actually be an interesting, rewarding pursuit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lsbr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
Let's just say that I've had some disturbing thoughts concerning the nature of reality in general, and now they've shifted more to the nature of people, their minds, thoughts and such. And believe me, doubting these things is even worse.

Bookmark and Share

Offline lsbr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »
More simply put, my problem is this: I feel that I'm losing some very basic, intuitive beliefs. Now,  when ever I think about them, I can't imagine they're true, no matter how much I want to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chilly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:35 AM »
I think I have been experiencing something similar. If I understand your post correctly, you are questioning basic aspects about life and human nature. I have had some of these types of thoughts as well. I'll sometimes have some intrusive thoughts and begin question morality and my viewpoint on various things. I become overly philisophical about everything, which ends up causing a lot of anxiety, since I begin to worry if I'm losing touch with my values. One of the only ways I have found to pull myself out of a philisophical tailspin is to remember that it's all the anxiety/OCD talking.
You have probably heard it before, but talking to a therapist can help you sort this thinking out. For instance, something that helped me some was an excercise that my therapist walked me through. He tossed a bunch of hypothetical questions at me and asked what I would do in a given situation. It has helped me re-connect with my "moral code" and get back in touch with my "true" self.
By the way, I noticed your last post on this was about a month ago. Have you been able to make any progress on resolving your situation?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: