Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Flex sig done  (Read 181 times)

Offline Jbg28

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Flex sig done
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
Small internal hems were found. Along with a tiny polyp. I am now being scheduled for a full colonoscopy. I am feeling much less worried. They say most likely IBS. The test was not bad at all. A little cramping. Nothing major. I a concerned with the polyp found though.  I just wish the answers were all here today I didnt have to wait again for another test. Anyone else have a polyp ? They say to change my diet drink less coffee and pop. Which is all I drink and add Metamucil.  No cancer found today. That's a blessing. I would recommend this test. Took 5 mins. The has after is painful and the bloating but nothing I can't handle. I am going to have a nap now. Anxiety has me beat. Thank you all for ur kind words
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Flex sig done
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »
Yes, they found a couple of polyps (one adenomatous and one haemoplastic, neither cancerous or pre-cancerous) when they did my sigmoidoscopy. They went on to do both a colonoscopy and a double-contrast barium enema but found nothing else, and I'm reasonably certain it will be the same in your case polyps normally inhabit the sigmoid colon. As for the future, polyps take a long time to grow, let alone become cancerous, so my tests will be repeated but not for a while.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
If you go back to the doctor, ask if there's a way to prevent or even reverse colon polyps.

My 70 yr old father has been battling stage iv colon cancer. I'm 37 and want to ensure that I do not end up like him.  Of course, I've googled the heck out of this issue, but am always curious as to what an actual doctor would say, in person.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Whilst colon polyps do seem to develop more depending on your diet, there's no way of eliminating them if you have a genetic predisposition; in fact, they're very normal with advancing age. There's no way of reversing them, so the way to deal with them is to have regular (every five to ten years, for most people) colonoscopies and cut them off before they start misbehaving. Nearest statistics I could get for adenomatous polyps is an 8% cancer risk after 12 years of growth, rising to about 25% after 20 years; the risk for hyperplastic polyps is minuscule. But if they're regularly removed, they're unlikely to cause any problems. (This, of course, assumes that new ones grow in the first place; they don't always.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
My father's case is an interesting one.  For the first few routine colonoscopies, in which benign polyps were found, he had an incompetent gastroenterologist perform the colonoscopy only part of the way. He did not view the ascending colon, where it joins with the small intestine. Several years later, the first time my father had a colonoscopy by a different doctor, a longstanding tumor was found, right in the section that the previous doctor avoided viewing.

I don't know why this would happen, unless that first doctor was really that incompetent/negligent; or, if some doctors avoid making that last bend, with the scope, in the event the rest of the colon is clear. Maybe this is because of added risk?  It just seems stupid and unfortunate. He needlessly ended up with colon cancer, had the first doctor found the original offending polyp and removed it. At some point, it was probably benign.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
I'm sorry that they cut corners with your father's colonoscopy; they also couldn't get the colonoscope round the final bend in mine, but they did a double-contrast barium enema so they could scan the last bit.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: