Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help fear of CSF Leak!  (Read 265 times)

Offline slimthugga

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help fear of CSF Leak!
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Hi there.
First of all, i am very very worried.
Today i was drinking coffee with a friend and i dropped something on the floor. As i leaned forward to pick it up i hitted my head on the table (my forehead actually) and right away some clear water-like salty fluid began to drip out of my nose. The feeling was like blood started to drip out of my nose, but it was  this clear fluid. I immediately ran to the restroom to wash myself and the discharging stopped at this point.
I felt like my nose was completely empty (as i have runny nose due to a cold from the past week) and i thought it was some kind of nasal mucus or something like that (as i have sinusithis).
I returned at the table and leaned backwards on the chair and felt 2-3 more drops of that fluid go down my throat. And that was it.
I don't have headache, i dont feel fizzy, don't have nausea and stuff. I only feel a little sleepy, but i felt the same way before i hitted my head too. And my neck hurts a little but i think it's due to my workout yesterday (back workout with deadlifts and stuff).

So i got home and started to read and all i keep seeing is this CSF leak (cerebrospinal fluid lead) and the fluid descrtiption matches the one that dripped out of my nose and i am freaking out right now, i am really scared as the articles say this is a life threatening condition.

I remember i had the same thing happened to me in the past several times (water like fluid out of nose) but don't remember it completely.

So please help me! Does anybody had the same thing happened to him? Could this be something different than this CSF leak? What could it be? I am totally freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help fear of CSF Leak!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
If it's salty it's not CFS fluid. This fluid is sweet because it has glucose in it. CFS leaks are not common and usually if they happen they happening traumatic accidents or sometimes when giving an epidural.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline slimthugga

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
I red that CSF fluid is exactly salty and have metallic taste like blood? I had the exact same feeling - salty and slightly metallic.
I am extremely worried. Could such a mild hit on the head cause this thing? This summer i hitted my head several times much harder than today and have no problems at all.

If it is not CFS fluid what could it be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline slimthugga

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
I feel fine today, maybe it's just my anxiety kicking in a little bit as i am extremely worried.
If i injured my head would i be fine? I red that the first 24 hours were critical, and almost 24 hours passed since the hit and i feel fine, no more leaking or stuff.
I am curious could that be some kind of watery fluid from the sinuses as i have runny nose all the winter season (because of chronic sinusithis i think) and i had a serious cold before one or two weeks. But if that is the case why would that watery liquid be stored in my nose and what made it to leak out?

Bookmark and Share

Offline slimthugga

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:24:59 AM »
I was examined by a medicine today and she said nothing is wrong with me. I didn't believe her so i called to a medicine that is a friend of mine for a long time and she asked me several questions like do i have a headache, desorientation etc. and obviously i said no, because i don't have any sympthoms at all. Then she said the water that leaked out could be a mixture of tears, nasal secrets etc. and the explanation was as i hitted my head i might "rattled" (sorry to not know the exact word) some of the glands in there like tear glands, sinus glands etc. and the fluid leaked out. She said also that if this were this CSF, i have to had a very serious injury for this to happen.

I am slightly relieved right now, but still concerned because i red a bunch of articles that people even without injury leaked CSF.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
This is what I'm worried about. I have not had any head injury or anything but over a week ago I had some fluid run out of my nose when I had my head down. It was yellow-ish, slightly tinged yellow. I have a lot of sinus issues and a cyst in my maxillary sinus and I even was at the hospital getting bloodwork for my kidneys when it happened and the nurse at the ER was all, oh it would be clear and you'd have to have a head injury etc. and said go to a clinic because they are really backup there. So I went to a clinic and the doctor there was cluless and said it was probably a virus. !!!

So I went to the ER at another hospital a few days later because I'm freaking out with my pupils also being two different sizes (started with the Celexa) and I have seen a neurologist twice BEFORE the fluid thing but can't see him til FEBRUARY...that trip to the ER was the nurse basically acting like I was a nuisance and a pain in her ass and telling me how I shouldn't Google stiuff and how her own pupils are different and asking, "Are you anxious?" I bet she put me at the bottom of thelist. I sat there for 2 hours before giving up. It was dark and cold and snowing and I have been depressed since.

I feel this trickle down my throat and it drives me crazy. I sniff sometimes and it feels like water in my nose a little, and last night I sniffled and had a feeling of water hitting the back of my nose/throat.

I am furious. I am absolutely FURIOUS that I can not get ANY care here in effing CANADA. They treat me like utter *****. They don't even speak English in the waiting rooms so when they called my number i didn't know what it was so she was snitty with me about it.

Now I don't even know what to do. the attitude is go die somewhere, you pain and you nuisance. You're taking up space for VALUABLE people. NO ONE CARES.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
That's not very realistic what you're saying. You came in anxious with a running nose. What did you expect? What you describe is indeed a mild virus, a cold, very normal this time a year. ER nurses are trained to see if your life is in immediate danger. You don't know what happens behind the scenes. Yes, the will let you wait for 2 hours. On a busy night they can even make you wait for 4 hours. I had to wait 3 once with what I thought was a broken ankle. And there were only 3 others waiting with me. But the moment I was called in I noticed there were 3 injured kids "behind the scenes". One of them had a really hard time breathing. So yeah, they helped the kids first.
Don't expect a very warm welcome in an ER. They work 16 hour shifts and constantly have to plan who needs to get care next. If you got in there gasping for air they would have helped you first.
I know HA sucks like hell. I'm a living example of it. But I also know I can't expect every care taker to take all the time I want to make me feel better, especially on an ER, where the have to save lives in danger.
The doc wasn't clueless. Because you just had a running nose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
You're saying this to a person whose father died waiting in an ER because he had a blood clot in his leg and apparently they couldn't figure out that it wasn't just a pulled muscle. You'd think once he was evaluated by the nurse they would have realized his life was in danger, but no, they let him die waiting for care.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
I didn't know about your father. I'm very sorry to hear that. But most of the doctors in the er know what they're doing. And you were not leaking brain fluid because then you wouldn't be typing anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: