Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Cut myself shaving...infection?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cut myself shaving...infection?
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
I was shaving today and I actually hit a pimple on my chin and it started bleeding.  I left it while I quickly shaved the rest of my face, then I washed it off.  It isn't bleeding at all much.  I'm just worried that I could get an infection from it.  My razor blade isn't rusty or anything, and I rinse it after every use.  I did lose my cover for it, so I put it in a container in my bathroom drawer, which is not covered.

Should I be worried about getting some sort of infection from it.  I have cut myself shaving one other time but the razor wasn't used as much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Copgrl8

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cut myself shaving...infection?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
I have cut myself MANY TIMES while shaving my legs, underarms and bikini area and never ever got an infection.
I think your fine. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
I scraped my knuckle a few weeks back and it got infected.  Was it the end of the world?  No, I put a little polysporin on it for a couple of days and it cleared right up.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
I don't think there is reason for you to fear infection.  a razor cut is usually a nice sharp clean cut.  If you are concerned, as mentioned before, just put some Neosporin on it and you'll do fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline foreverman23

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
I've cut myself quite a few times shaving. This is especially true if I happen to be using a cheap disposable razors(I can't stand those now). I've never had an infection, and as others have suggested, wouldn't worry.
Bookmark and Share
"Live to the fullest or die. And die you will anyway so start living" - Christopher S Hyatt Ph.D

Online MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
I once accidentally cut my face, and a lymph node behind my ear swelled up instantly. It was really weird and freaked me out. I didn't even know what a lymph node was at that point - until I googled it. Well, everything turned out fine.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I just always worry about getting a staph infection from something like that.  My health occupations teacher told our class that can happen with disposable razors, but she never mentioned it happening with normal razors.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »
Think you'll find loads of people cut themselves shaving. They are all fine too. It would have to be one rusty razor or the cut coming in contact with something else. Chances are slim to none. But I am sure you know that by now.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 53
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
Hi, there's really nothing to worry about. :winking0008: I shave with more traditional razors (ie old double edged razors, even a straight razor every now and then) because modern multi bladed razors hurt my sensitive skin and leave it red raw. More traditional razors can have the drawback of giving you nastier cuts than disposable or modern cartridge razors, as i learned the heard way as i worked on perfecting my technique! :laugh3: Despite this, i've never developed any kind of infection regardless of how much damage i've done to the skin on my face. As long as your blade is clean and not rusty, you're fine.

And, if you are really still worried, there is a cheap shaving tool called a Styptic Pencil which, if you cut yourself, you simply wet the end of and rub on the cut. As the name suggests, it cleans any shaving cut as well as helping stop the bleeding. Its more associated with older-fashioned methods of shaving but it is just as useful for any razor cut. I always keep one, just in case the worst should happen - as tends to be typical of all us anxious folks! ::) But i've never needed it.

Best,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: