Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attacks while driving and riding in fast-moving car  (Read 648 times)

Offline Amy38

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attacks while driving and riding in fast-moving car
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
I have had severe panic attacks since I was 19 and I am now 38 years old. In the past, my panic attacks would mostly occur when I was in a crowded public place like a restaurant or store, but recently I have had panic attacks while I'm driving. One day, I was stopped at a red light and had a major panic attack about being trapped at the red light without a way to escape. I felt light headed, dizzy, heart racing, dry mouth and as soon as the light turned green, I pulled over and called my husband to come pick me up. I have never had a driving phobia in the past, but now I do. It's gotten so bad that I won't drive at all now for fear of having a panic attack and losing control of my car.  I even had a panic attack a couple days ago when I was riding in the car as a passenger and we were driving on the highway. I suddenly felt dizzy and my heart started racing and I felt like I needed to escape the vehicle (which wasn't possible since we were driving at about 70 mph). I wanted to jump out of my skin at exit the vehicle! It was the worst feeling in the world. I am on Effexor, but I'm still having panic attacks. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm losing my mind!
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attacks while driving and riding in fast-moving car
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »
Hi Amy.....first of all, welcome for Anxiety Zone!!

I'm sorry to hear about your panic while driving.  I started down that road a while back as well, but since I have to get myself to and from work each day, I knew I had to put a stop to that in a quick hurry!  What I find helpful was that I now always chew gum while driving, and as I'm driving I try to notice similar things around me....such as, oh there are three of those red cars like that I've seen pass by me, or if you have to stop at a red light, make sure you have one of your favorite cd's and sing along.  I believe when driving it's all about the distraction. 

Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »
Hey there...I had a panic attack in a car a few days ago. I was driving back home for the holiday with my girlfriend and I had to pull over. She took the wheel, but I still felt icky. I now keep paper bags in my car. Proper breathing technique is essential. Pretend you're in a yoga class...or meditating and release all the bad with every exhale. I recently purchased nasal strips...they help to open up my nostrils just a little bit more so when I am making my way through an attack, I feel as though I am getting more oxygen.

These things are a royal pain in the arse. Just remember you're going to get through it and that there are so many others out there with the same problem.
Bookmark and Share
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
Just want to say, I have experienced the same thing. It has gotten better though; you're not alone  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Artemissive

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
The same thing happens to me... I get panic attacks driving when stopped at a red light, in traffic, in the left lane, or when I have to make a left hand turn :( It sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
Hi Amy,

We're the same age, and I've gone through the same thing.  I sometimes hate being stuck at a red light, and will get into the right lane if I can, because I can easily turn and "escape."  This doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it truly stinks.  :(  I feel the same way - anxious, heart racing, hands sweaty. 

I also hate being on bridges.  My fiance and I went over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Virginia this past summer and how I dealt with it was to take out my camera and vlog the entire trip over the bridge.  It worked because I focused on vlogging and not that I was on the bridge.  It also helped being the passenger!  Lol

I've been in cars that were moving fast and sometimes I can get the driver to slow down.  However, if we're on the highway or parkway and they have to go a certain speed, I will take out my phone and focus on that.  I'll log onto ***** and distract myself. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Hi Amy.....first of all, welcome for Anxiety Zone!!

I'm sorry to hear about your panic while driving.  I started down that road a while back as well, but since I have to get myself to and from work each day, I knew I had to put a stop to that in a quick hurry!  What I find helpful was that I now always chew gum while driving, and as I'm driving I try to notice similar things around me....such as, oh there are three of those red cars like that I've seen pass by me, or if you have to stop at a red light, make sure you have one of your favorite cd's and sing along.  I believe when driving it's all about the distraction. 

Hope this helps!

Kathie, I've also begun chewing gum once again when driving.  I notice that it does help with the anxiety.  Also having good music on to distract me is a big help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »
I haven't had a panic attack in a car, but I have moments where I've had a lot of anxiety and felt like I might panic. For me actually driving and moving forward makes me feel better as I stare as far forward as I can, but stopping at a light will increase my anxiety at times. I have the same trapped feeling you described. Could you try moving your seat back farther and loosening your seat belt a little so it's away from your neck and more over your shoulder? That might give you the feeling of more space. Crack a window for some air, focus on things far away or keep your face close to the window (if you're not driving) to give yourself the illusion of being out. Maybe, again if you're not driving, close your eyes and rest back in the seat and try to imagine you are floating on the ocean or on a carousel or something other than in the car.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »
Hi Amy, I've had panic attacks in the car and am facing a 1,000 mile drive back to Florida with my husband and my dog in a week or so. I try to get out as much as possible and userest rooms, stretch, take my ant-anxiety med when needed, and knowthat I'll be in my house on the other side.  ALso helps to kow that there are hospitals just about everywhere!  (Not that you're going to ned one!)

Deep, easy breathing, and keep engaged in the moment and what you're seeingon the roadway.

Hang tough, and best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline angelablair

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
Just wanted to let you know I could have written this post literally word for word, except my attacks started when I was 20 and I am now (almost) 28. My first panic attack also happened sitting at a red light 8 years ago and that is when my driving fear began. It makes me feel so much better coming on here and knowing that I am not alone and others are just as "crazy" as me.  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Powerslave1724

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
Traffic is a BIG one for me. Anytime I see traffic I start to panic, not knowing how long I will be in it for, when will it end...and then like clockwork I have to go to the bathroom right then and there! It's awful.

I need to be in control though, I can't be a passenger without freaking out. Mainly because if I have to go to the bathroom I want to be able to pull over and go. Other then that I'm fine. I ride a motorcycle as well and that's one thing that gives me relief. For some reason if I hit traffic and i'm on my bike i just don't care and get zero anxiety. It's wierd...something about being on my bike is relaxing. It's my escape. I get on my bike and cruise and nothing matters. When I'm out there nothing bothers me.
Bookmark and Share