Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Needing help with rabies anxiety.  (Read 215 times)

Offline oleskillet

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Needing help with rabies anxiety.
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
Hi there, just over two months ago I was bitten by a small dog on my knee. The owners were there and had another dog with then too. The dog seemed healthy and they said it didn't like crowds. She grabbed the dog and apologized, but they left as I was inside an establishment cleaning the wound, so I was unable to get any of their info. I went to the ER and received a tetanus shot and the rabies PEP because I was unable to get the info on the dog. I finished the course of the vaccine and the bite has seemed to heal fine. Every once in a while I have noticed and slight burning and/or tickling around the scar. I saw a doctor and he said not to worry too much as there may be nerve damage because of the area of the bite, the fact I received four vaccines around the bite, etc. and to not worry too much. The feeling comes and goes. Is this normal for a small scar to feel this way? It makes me nervous at times.
This has really triggered some major anxiety issues in me. I am 14 weeks pregnant and I am sure the hormones are not helping.
When I found this page it helped me just by reading others stories. I decided to post my own.
Thank you for your time!
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Needing help with rabies anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:50:12 AM »
Rabies is a fatal neurological disease with some horrific and terrifying effects. If you had it, you'd know about it, so you definitely don't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oleskillet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:30:03 AM »
I guess I should have phrased my question differently. When I had the vaccine, especially being 4 weeks pregnant at the time, I did TONS of research on the disease, and the vaccine. I guess what I was asking was, when I have weird pains in my legs, near the bite scar, etc, how can I stop this from triggering my anxiety about this? What steps can I take to help the anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:48:56 AM »
What do you think those feelings in your leg are is the real question? If you think it is rabies, then that would be impossible. Yes, scientifically impossible. Not only were you vaccinated, but symptoms of rabies present within a few days after contact, and kills within 2 weeks. You would be foaming from the mouth by now.. Anxiety can cause a number of physical symptoms due to stress. When you realize your leg is fine, which may take awhile, your symptoms will become a thing of the past.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worriedwell?

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:28 AM »
Rabies vaccine is essentially 100% effective.  Very rare in domesticated animals in us and Excedingly rare in humans. Only like 50 cases in 50 years or something in the us.  You can let it go...
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
Hi oleskillet

I hope this puts your mind at ease but once you have had the vaccine you are primed for life against having rabies as long as you get the boosters. I learned this from the CDC and the Local health department even if you wait a couple of days. I received the vaccine 10 years ago and recently I had a scare of possible contact with bats and this is what they told me and I am fine. Canine rabies is virtually rare in the U.S. now and  since you received the vaccine let me assure you there have been no vaccine failures reported. Pregnancy can also elevate your anxiety especially with a scare like this. I really hope this helps you and you can enjoy your pregnancy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
Scars can keep tingling and burning for years. Especially if the scar is on your knee, because the skin is thick there and there's a joint underneath that moves a lot, so the skin needs some extra time to completely heal. I have a scar on my index finger that still, after two years, burns and itches every now and then.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oleskillet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
Thank you everyone for your posts. I am finding this website to be truly helpful with battling my anxiety. It's tough, and manifests itself in weird ways, in this case, this rabies fear I had.
Again, thank you so much for all your input.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: rabies anxiety