Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 99 dollar genetic test  (Read 200 times)

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
99 dollar genetic test
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
So I came across a Post online about a google backed startup company (common where I reside) that offers a reliable 99 dollar genetic test that offers ancestry and medical information. You can take the test from the privacy of your own home. The company is under fire by the FDA right now because of the affect it is having on those who take it. People are learning about medical illnesses they are most at risk for and demanding "unnecessary" testing and procedures. The test is still available...I am so tempted to get one, but I don't know that I could handle the results. There is a strong possibility it would cause me more mental harm than good. What do you guys think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 99 dollar genetic test
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
I wouldn't do it in a million years.  I'm not sure how reliable this company would be in the first place. And really, what are you going to do with this information?  I think they can only give you approximations on whether or not you will get something, so this would lead to unnecessary worrying.  There are some disorders people can get that have no cure.  Why would you want to know that.  With my personality type I would just sit around waiting to die.  It sounds awful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
I agree but to an extent...my paternal grandmother passed away at 38 from colon cancer. That would mean I am at high risk for carrying a certain type of gene. This test would provide that information without having to pay thousands for genetic counseling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
I would discuss this genetic testing and the fact your grandmother had colon cancer with your family doctor.  Maybe he can start testing your earlier; possibly having a colonoscopy etc...
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
You yourself say that this is not a reputable test, based on what the FDA is saying. You yourself say that you think it will do you more harm than good. I think you have your answer. You cannot guarantee what genes they are testing, if they aren't sharing specifics. Think of the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is" Focus instead on eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, not smoking...basically reducing your risk factors. Discuss with your doctor your family health history and if you're really intent on getting this test, run it by her or him and see what the recommendation is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
I agree with greend on this one. No way in a million years would I do this as someone who suffers with anxiety. Especially health anxiety. If you have risk factors your doctor will know and not EVERYTHING is predictable based on genes alone. Environment also plays a huge role in things. Just, no. That's my two cents.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: