Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I want a Brain MRI but SCARED!!!  (Read 405 times)

Offline NewMommyTX

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I want a Brain MRI but SCARED!!!
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
I want a brain MRI because I've been fearing a brain tumor and MS for the past few weeks. Although my only symptoms are vision related. I see line floaters and other floaters.... I've been seeing floaters since I was pregnant in 2012 but focused more on it now and thinking it's because of my brain. Sometimes a little bit of VERTICAL double like a little bit of image comibg down when I look at bright letters and LED lights. Even though LASIK fixed my double vision it's still traumatizing. My eye doctor and surgeon said it's the astigmatism before LASIK . Oh yeah another thing that I've noticed lately ... When I wake up in the morning and from a nap I notice that my eyes aren't focused for a second or 2 seconds and that's freaking me out and making me think that I see double for a second when I wake up. I see 20/15, I want a brain MRI but too scared because I'm scared of the results. I know that if I do get it I will feel better, hopefully. But this is by far the worst fear !! I passed the neurological test I asked this new doctor we hired to perform on me. Just had basic blood work done and everything was perfect!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bertybotts

• Rec's: 5
  • I like a nice warm cup of tea, and helping people.
    • Poke This Member
Re: I want a Brain MRI but SCARED!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
You absolutely do NOT want a brain MRI. I probably have MS based on the fact I've been sick for a while and had neurological syptoms. My doctors think I actually have MS and let me tell you, it's a lot more than just floaters. Also, brain MRIs absolutely SUCK. MRIs are scary, horrible, experiences where you need to stay in a tiny tube that makes you feel like you're dying.
Just...no!

You don't have MS.
Bookmark and Share
I will endure any pain, as long as it has meaning.

Offline crunch113

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
Sounds like the tests you have already done make it clear you're fine  :bigsmile:, but if you need more reassurance, check out this post, it puts to rest my brain tumor fears anytime I read it, and I frequently relapse in hypochondria waves, suffering from chronic headaches that last for months.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,16974.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline NewMommyTX

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
What about the little double I get at night sometimes when I look at bright words? When I squint it goes away. I did the pinhole test and it went away
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
You absolutely do NOT want a brain MRI. I probably have MS based on the fact I've been sick for a while and had neurological syptoms. My doctors think I actually have MS and let me tell you, it's a lot more than just floaters. Also, brain MRIs absolutely SUCK. MRIs are scary, horrible, experiences where you need to stay in a tiny tube that makes you feel like you're dying.
Just...no!

You don't have MS.

I agree with bertybotts, but have to disagree about the MRIs. They are not that bad really. Just get a light sedative, some ear plugs and have them cover your eyes before going in and don't look again until they take you out. That being said you do not need an MRI. You really will never get better until you address your anxiety.

@bertybotts, if you don't mind me asking, if the docs are convinced you have MS why are you avoiding a diagnosis? The sooner you get one, the sooner you can get of the DMDs that slow the disease progression.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bertybotts

• I like a nice warm cup of tea, and helping people.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM »

@bertybotts, if you don't mind me asking, if the docs are convinced you have MS why are you avoiding a diagnosis? The sooner you get one, the sooner you can get of the DMDs that slow the disease progression.
I am not avoiding a diagnosis -- do you think MS is so crystal clear and easily spotted like a lightbulb somewhere screaming "hey, I'm right here!" My doctors are doing zillions of tests and they want to diagnose, but we are doing more tests, watching the progression, and seeing what happens with more relapses if I ever have any. It can be a very long process. I am set for one MRI next month and another in July. Lots of test. MS is just not easy to diagnose.
Bookmark and Share
I will endure any pain, as long as it has meaning.

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 83
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »
You really will never get better until you address your anxiety.

This is true! You know this, and have said it yourself!

Those "little doubts" you have? Part of life is accepting those little doubts and the fact that you have very little control over things. Needing every little question to be put to rest in your mind is ONLY keeping you in the loop of anxiety. Reassurance does not actually reassure—a lesson a lot of folks on here could stand to remember.

What's going on with that therapist's appointment, NewMommy? 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline NewMommyTX

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Is a CT scan less scary?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
Neither CT nor MRI are completely benign tests....the contrast dye and in the case of CT, radiation, can have potential adverse effects down the line.  Having an MRI will not cure you of your anxiety. Dr. Google does not replace years of medical training that your doctor has. If your reasons for getting a test ordered aren't convincing enough your insurance company may not even cover it. Even if they DO cover it, medical costs are already out of control: tests that aren't medically neccessary drive up the cost of health care for everyone. Your medical resources would be much better invested in treatment of your health anxiety (if it's not being treated already) with a therapist and psychiatrist, and periodic checkups with your primary care doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NewMommyTX

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
I think I'm feeling a little vertigo. I'm exhausted
Bookmark and Share

Offline bmxchad87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
Do you get enough sleep? Sounds like the floaters could be lack of sleep related. MRI s aren't all that bad unless you're claustrophobic
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »

I am not avoiding a diagnosis -- do you think MS is so crystal clear and easily spotted like a lightbulb somewhere screaming "hey, I'm right here!" My doctors are doing zillions of tests and they want to diagnose, but we are doing more tests, watching the progression, and seeing what happens with more relapses if I ever have any. It can be a very long process. I am set for one MRI next month and another in July. Lots of test. MS is just not easy to diagnose.

I meant no offense. No I don't think MS is that easy to diagnose. From the sound of your post I was under the impression that you were avoiding the MRIs that aid in a diagnosis. Together with a lumbar puncture they are pretty good at saying with some certainty whether or not you have MS and then can start you on therapy. I guess I just got "lucky" that my diagnosis was so quick.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mafalda

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
NewMommyTX I have a brain tumor but I'm completely asympthomatic (I was born with it so it has adapted). The thing is brain tumors would manifest themselves in a much stronger way than just floaters and a little vertigo. Most brain tumors will make you have other strong symptoms that would be noticeable because they would repercute in your daily life. I began having neurological symptoms and my first thought was "brain tumor" but I actually just had epilepsy.

My advice: talk to your doctor and tell him/her about your concerns and he/she will answer every doubt you have. If you present stronger symptoms then get checked out, but trust me MRIs are when they know there's something there, otherwise they are just a really expensive way of reassuring yurself yo are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NewMommyTX

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
To be honest I don't really have any symptoms just light headed and I'm sure it's anxiety. I'm trying to get over this fear because it's by far the worst one! Anything neurological is scary. I don't want an MRI or any scans.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: