Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hello! New Member - Fellow Sufferer and a Therapist  (Read 220 times)

Offline The_Anxious_Therapist

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello! New Member - Fellow Sufferer and a Therapist
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi, this is my first time attempting to find others that go through what my life has consisted of for the past 6-7 years. I have Panic Disorder and a Specific Phobia. I am currently in an Intensive Outpatient Program to work through these issues, but since it's only my 3rd week they are still very much prevalent in my life.

To add an extra twist on my situation, I work in the mental health field. I am Marriage & Family Therapist Intern who is studying to take my exam for licensure. I can't begin to describe how not only isolating it is to suffer from extreme anxiety but also that I can't seem to find any other colleagues who do the same. The fight against not feeling like an incompetent therapist, which I busted my ass for for almost a decade, is difficult.

What I hope to get out of joining here is community. I know of no one else in my life who suffers from the amount/degree of anxiety that I do and I need to know that there are others. Yes, logically I know there are but when you haven't met them and you're always locked up in your house your emotions don't register that.

Thanks for reading. Here's to future conversations and support.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello! New Member - Fellow Sufferer and a Therapist
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:52:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
There are others; and I will add there are others in medicine/mental health.  I don't work directly in mental health; I am a family practice physician assistant. However I do see a lot of mental health issues, whether it's subclinical, working through high stress situations in their lives, managing mild clinical anxiety/depression, or being the first point of contact for more serious issues, and referring them on to therapy/psychiatry. (or working with family members who struggle with their loved ones' mental illness) I too have been working with stress and anxiety issues with my family doctor for about six months, and she ultimately referred me to a psychiatrist whom diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and depression NOS (not otherwise specificed), the latter which I attribute to hormones and the anxiety as it's present but fluctuating day to day.

A few points that I hope you can consider: 1) Do not be too hard on yourself; guilt, shame, etc. Try to let those go. I am very hard on myself, and a therapist advised: treat yourself like you would one of your patients. I wouldn't criticize and blame a patient with anxiety or depression, so I shouldn't criticize myself. 2) Mental health professionals, medical providers, etc are not immune to mental health problems. Day in day out you hear difficult stories, share their pain, sometimes it's hard to avoid absorbing some of that energy yourself. 3) Try to view this as something that will ultimately make you stronger. You are going to see your patients from a new viewpoint having gone through this yourself. Ultimately, this may make you a better practitioner in the long run.

You are most definitely not alone. Feel free to talk to me anytime.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
Welcome to the forums!  I agree with AncientMelody about your possibly being a better, more sympathetic practitioner because you are experiencing anxiety issues yourself!  So, try to keep that in mind as you go through your outpatient treatment program.

Just as a side note:  I'm currently in therapy and recenly I found out that my therapist is dealing with a very serious family crisis.  Two weeks ago, she actually cried in our session because of this issue.  She apologized to me, but that wasn't necessary, in my opinion.  By showing her vulnerability to me, which, as you know, therapists never do with their clients, it made me appreciate her even more than I already had.  I will admit that at first it was  uncomfortable for me, and I would imagine for her as well.  But that quickly passed for me.  I will also admit that I'm concerned that it's possible she may have to take a leave of absence at some point, even though she hasn't mentioned anything about that at this point.  That is just my anxiety kicking in and working overtime.  I will cross that bridge if/when I come to it.  My point in mentioning this is to let you know that if you genuinely care about your future clients, revealing your own mental health issues may cause them to have a deeper appreciation for you!

Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worriedwell?

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
I can empathetize with your situation.  I am a nurse practitioner, work in critical care. It's tough bc exposed to all kinds of medical catastrophies, and "worse case sccnarios". At work it is easy for me to be objective about my patients but I am crazy when it comes to myself! We are all humans and vulnerable to the same. Cardiologists get heart disease, orthopaedists get brokenbones,etc.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
Hi AT...  Welcome to the community.  My name is Chuck.  Believe me, I can understand your level of anxiety, as mine was through the roof this afternoon.  My panic attacks and GAD have returned after being well controlled for the last 3-4 years.  I've just been started on a new med, and the last 10 days has been pretty intense.  I too work in the health care field, a nurse for some 37 years, with most of those years spent in intensive care units.  So I am here for you.  Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to keep in touch.  The very best to you...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline elena175

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
Hello!  I am new here as well...AND I'm a school psychologist.  Licensed, certified, and unable to control my own anxiety.  Welcome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline The_Anxious_Therapist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
Thank you all so much for your sympathetic and reassuring responses! Especially the ones from fellow care workers. Knowing that I'm not the only professional trying to keep it all together means the world to me.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: new therapist Member