Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: scared that im having klonopin withdrawal :(  (Read 341 times)

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
scared that im having klonopin withdrawal :(
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »
so a week ago i went from 20mg celexa to 10mg as told by my doctor since it was making me a trainwreck. around the 3rd day on the lower dose i felt increased anxiety, and feeling like i am in some kind of brain fog. it is a very unnerving feeling. i have been taking klonopin to help with it when i thought...maybe it is the klonopin making me feel this way? because ever since i was on the 20mg celexa for 2 1/2 months i've been taking it a lot....at first every 2-3 days, then more recently every other day, sometimes 2 days in a row. and i was thinking maybe it could be the klonopin? i didn't take one yesterday and felt kind of okay...and had to take one the night before that because my anxiety was really bad. and today it is bad again, i woke up today feeling kinda speedy? and just overall weird restless anxious feeling. i have no idea if it's the klonopin or if it's because of celexa...either way i'm really scared that i got myself dependent on it without knowing! what do you guys think? i know i will have to take more klonopin tonight and tomorrow...because i am going to a funeral.

one good thing i will say is that ever since reducing the dose i have not been a suicidal depressed trainwreck as i was before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared that im having klonopin withdrawal :(
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
so a week ago i went from 20mg celexa to 10mg as told by my doctor since it was making me a trainwreck. around the 3rd day on the lower dose i felt increased anxiety, and feeling like i am in some kind of brain fog. it is a very unnerving feeling. i have been taking klonopin to help with it when i thought...maybe it is the klonopin making me feel this way?

A more likely explanation is that you're having Celexa withdrawal. The symptoms began at about the time I would expect them to. It should diminish soon.

I don't think you take Klonopin regularly enough to develop dependence, but you could try rotating it with hydroxyzine to reduce your exposure to benzodiazepines even more. You will need to get a prescription for hydroxyzine.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
so a week ago i went from 20mg celexa to 10mg as told by my doctor since it was making me a trainwreck. around the 3rd day on the lower dose i felt increased anxiety, and feeling like i am in some kind of brain fog. it is a very unnerving feeling. i have been taking klonopin to help with it when i thought...maybe it is the klonopin making me feel this way?

A more likely explanation is that you're having Celexa withdrawal. The symptoms began at about the time I would expect them to. It should diminish soon.

I don't think you take Klonopin regularly enough to develop dependence, but you could try rotating it with hydroxyzine to reduce your exposure to benzodiazepines even more. You will need to get a prescription for hydroxyzine.

Ian

ok....i hope it is. but it is still pretty freaking rough, hopefully it'll go away soon. and ill bring it up, i have an appointment with a pdoc on dec 10. i also was going to bring up gabapentin, do you know anything about that ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
i also was going to bring up gabapentin

While some report good results, many don't.

It was initially thought that as a GABA analogue it would raise brain levels of the neurotransmitter, however, there are a number of flaws with this concept. Firstly, no normally functioning brain lacks GABA, the blood-brain-barrier actually has billions of tiny pumps to remove it from the brain; anxiety isn't due to too little GABA but too few benzodiazepine-GABA complex receptors; and gabapentin doesn't act on GABA receptors as originally thought, but seems to affect glutamate release by inhibiting calcium ion channels.

As with benzodiazepines, dependency is an issue, as is withdrawal (No authors, 2012; Kruszewski SP, 2009; Tran KT, 2005). You need to also be aware that its bioavailability drops by nearly 50% as the dose increases so if low doses don't do the trick you may need to more than double them to make any headway (Bockbrader HN, 2010). The similar pregabalin (Lyrica) doesn't have this problem so may be a better bet, however, it shares the dependency and withdrawal issues.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »
i also was going to bring up gabapentin

While some report good results, many don't.

It was initially thought that as a GABA analogue it would raise brain levels of the neurotransmitter, however, there are a number of flaws with this concept. Firstly, no normally functioning brain lacks GABA, the blood-brain-barrier actually has billions of tiny pumps to remove it from the brain; anxiety isn't due to too little GABA but too few benzodiazepine-GABA complex receptors; and gabapentin doesn't act on GABA receptors as originally thought, but seems to affect glutamate release by inhibiting calcium ion channels.

As with benzodiazepines, dependency is an issue, as is withdrawal (No authors, 2012; Kruszewski SP, 2009; Tran KT, 2005). You need to also be aware that its bioavailability drops by nearly 50% as the dose increases so if low doses don't do the trick you may need to more than double them to make any headway (Bockbrader HN, 2010). The similar pregabalin (Lyrica) doesn't have this problem so may be a better bet, however, it shares the dependency and withdrawal issues.

Ian

that's very interesting...thought it was going to be a much better option than a benzo :/ and it seems that lyrica still has its patent so that is out of the question.

i have another question ian, could lowering my celexa dose cause flu like symptoms? my anxiety has been high and i feel weak, and i also feel an overall sick feeling. i'm pretty sure i'm not getting sure as my temperature is normal but i feel hot. another thing i thought may be a problem...is the kind of pill i'm taking? what if there is a filler inside these 20mg pills that is causing my body to not tolerate the celexa well? i've been cutting the pills in half, still using the same pill i was taking. i have heard on other forums that switching from one generic to another caused bad reactions. i never had such bad symptoms with my 10mg pills. i'm so confused on what's going on!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:39:48 AM »
i have another question ian, could lowering my celexa dose cause flu like symptoms? my anxiety has been high and i feel weak, and i also feel an overall sick feeling. i'm pretty sure i'm not getting sure as my temperature is normal but i feel hot. another thing i thought may be a problem...is the kind of pill i'm taking?

They symptoms you describe are typical of SSRI withdrawal and not of a reaction to fillers, etc. They usually diminish within a week to ten days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
i have another question ian, could lowering my celexa dose cause flu like symptoms? my anxiety has been high and i feel weak, and i also feel an overall sick feeling. i'm pretty sure i'm not getting sure as my temperature is normal but i feel hot. another thing i thought may be a problem...is the kind of pill i'm taking?

They symptoms you describe are typical of SSRI withdrawal and not of a reaction to fillers, etc. They usually diminish within a week to ten days.

Ian

oh jesus! i really hope it goes away soon. my anxiety is off the wall today, heart rate at 100+ resting, pacing around the house feel hot /sick etc. this really freaking sucks!!!!! i think it's been 11 days since i went down to 10mg.....i feel like it might be peaking today. can't believe this is happening just by going down a dose! should i be alarmed if the symptoms don't get better in a few days? i'm going to be seeing a pdoc next week...if she switches me to another antidepressant will i have this same withdrawal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
oh jesus! i really hope it goes away soon. my anxiety is off the wall today, heart rate at 100+ resting, pacing around the house feel hot /sick etc. this really freaking sucks!!!!! i think it's been 11 days since i went down to 10mg.....i feel like it might be peaking today.

I think this is all anxiety, not withdrawal, though possibly as a reaction to the discussion about you experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Do you have anything else to control the anxiety?

.if she switches me to another antidepressant will i have this same withdrawal

Only if you need to wean of the 10mg Celexa first, which should only be necessary if you're going onto one of the MAOI class antidepressants, but this would be very unusual. If switching to another SSRI there should be relatively few problems apart from whatever anxiety may produce.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »
oh jesus! i really hope it goes away soon. my anxiety is off the wall today, heart rate at 100+ resting, pacing around the house feel hot /sick etc. this really freaking sucks!!!!! i think it's been 11 days since i went down to 10mg.....i feel like it might be peaking today.

I think this is all anxiety, not withdrawal, though possibly as a reaction to the discussion about you experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Do you have anything else to control the anxiety?

.if she switches me to another antidepressant will i have this same withdrawal

Only if you need to wean of the 10mg Celexa first, which should only be necessary if you're going onto one of the MAOI class antidepressants, but this would be very unusual. If switching to another SSRI there should be relatively few problems apart from whatever anxiety may produce.

Ian

i'm not so sure it's just anxiety, i think it is withdrawal. i have klonopin which helps put me at ease and makes me calm...but the sick feeling is still there, and the hotness and the overall feeling bad. but without the anxiety it is tolerable. and no i am almost positive i'm not sick  :laugh3: it makes me feel better to know that i won't have to worry about this when switching ADs. i am gonna talk to my pdoc about prozac since i heard it gives you a lot of energy, and i have absolutely none. hopefully she agrees with me. and i also really hope that it works for me while others have failed. i'll see how i'm feeling in a couple days....if i still feel really bad. if so i think i will just take the 20mg again because i don't have enough klonopin to last more than a week.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: