Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: heart twitching or muscle??  (Read 306 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
heart twitching or muscle??
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »
Hi all! Forgive me, for I have been a wreck these past few weeks. :sick0002: anyways I was worried earlier, I reached up to take my pulse in my neck and couldnt find it at first, and I felt such a rush of adrenaline, I almost went into full on panic. Once I found it though, I thought it felt a bit weak. Tried not to freak out too much- succeeded. So here I am lying in bed, I was reading an anxiety article on how to stop worry thoughts, and just as I was feeling great, thinking "this all makes sense!! Why am I worried", all of a sudden I felt a faint twitching feeling in my chest. My eyes went round as saucers and I immediately reached for my pulse. Felt normal enough, but by then the twitches were gone. They lasted only long enough for me to feel them and.totally freak out. Since I was in such a adrenaline filled rush, I can't quite gage where exactly the feeling came.from, it seemed like almost.the very middle of my chest really, but I SWEAR it came from my heart. It felt like a palpitation, just twitchier. It just felt like my heart was twitching, like any other muscle. Maybe it was my  chest muscles though, I try to tell myself, but to not much avail. In fact I think I just felt another small palpitation, only a normal feeling palp this time. The thing troubling me is, how can I tell if it was a muscle twitch or my heart? Do you think it was merely a muscle that was close to my heart that I maybe misread? Just so scared something bad.will follow it up. Just when I was feeling like I was getting somewhere, this kind.of.thing happened :/ anyhow, just looking for logical people to turn to :) thank you for always being one place I can.run to!
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline ameromatt

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: heart twitching or muscle??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »
Okay, before I say anything I must say this: there wasn't anything about your post I couldn't relate to.   SO MANY TIMES, I have gone to check my pulse, and didn't feel it immediately, and started freaking out, making things so much worse.   ANYWAYS, The heart twitching. I have this every day. Many times every day. I usually just assume its my muscle fucking with my head. But sometimes it really does feel like my heart, and it freaks me out.  But I ALWAYS end up checking my pulse immediately after, and it always seems textbook normal heart rate. So I really guess it it just our hearts messing with us.... I am just not sure why it doesn't happen on the right side of my chest, its ALWAYS on my left side, right near my heart.   I hope I made you feel a little better!  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose~

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply! It really did make me feel a lot better knowing someone else feels the same way  :happy0151: I guess our minds just have the uncanny ability to make us think the worst! D: gah, I wish it would stop. Just as I am sitting here telling myself its all okay, now I start having palpitations like flutters once every few minutes ._. Now I think "endless palps? Definitely dying" makes me wanna run to the doctor and.never look back so bad. Funnily enough, if I put my finger on my neck to feel my pulse and never let go(like ive been doing.the past 20 min) they dont really seem to show up. What now, I sleep with my hand on my neck?? Wouldnt really be too weird for me actually, lol :P
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline ameromatt

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »
Yeah they are a curse. When you think they are gone forever they comeback full force.   and YES. When I put my finger on my neck they never happen.  Its so messed up.   I have to sleep on my right side now and take melatonin every night to be able to fall asleep, if I sleep on my right side I feel my heart the entire time. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
It was likely a PVC (premature ventricular contraction) and it is totally harmless, in fact 90% of all people have them at some point and they are in no way related to an increased risk of a heart attack.  I used to be a chronic pulse taker myself so I feel your pain.  I had the irrational belief that my heart was going to just stop even though I am only 33!  Now that I am on meds for my anxiety I have almost completely stopped that and no longer live with my fingers glued to my neck.  Are you on any meds?  I was reluctant at first but they have been a godsend!  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose~

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
It was likely a PVC (premature ventricular contraction) and it is totally harmless, in fact 90% of all people have them at some point and they are in no way related to an increased risk of a heart attack.  I used to be a chronic pulse taker myself so I feel your pain.  I had the irrational belief that my heart was going to just stop even though I am only 33!  Now that I am on meds for my anxiety I have almost completely stopped that and no longer live with my fingers glued to my neck.  Are you on any meds?  I was reluctant at first but they have been a godsend!  Hang in there!

Thanks for the reply! Its so much easier accepting other peoples logical thoughts than my own. It is great to hear that you have been able to pretty much stop the heart worries from taking over! I'm currently not on any meds, but I think I would probably benefit greatly from them. I am a little scared to try them, because I have never been on meds for anything before, and I absolutely hate taking medicine of any kind unless totally necessary, but if it will help my anxiety I would try anything. Hopefully when I go back into the doctors I can ask them about it. :) Which anxiety medication do you take, and how long did it take to work? Were there a lot of unpleasant side effects for you? Thats something I worry about is the side effects. Thanks!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »
I am on Zoloft and I was also very reluctant to try meds but I run my own business and the anxiety was interfering with my work so much I decided to take the plunge.  The first doc I went to (who I did not like but followed their advice anyway) gave me Wellbutrin.  I took it because I didn't know any better and it was a total nightmare.  I did a bit of research and learned that Wellbutrin is for depression, not anxiety, and I am not depressed in the slightest, just anxious.  I switched docs and found one who really listened to me and he switched me to Zoloft with a side order of Xanax to use as needed.  I started on 25mg of Zoloft for 7 days and then upped to 50mg.  This was about 8 weeks ago.  I won't lie to you, the start up side effects were no fun and I was unlucky enough to get every single one in the book.  The Xanax really helped to deal with the initial heightened anxiety and, with the helped of these forums, I stuck it out.  About 3 weeks in the side effects started to go away and now the only one I have is some increased sweating but I live in FL so that might be part of it!  Otherwise I feel better than I have in years...I no longer feel like I am going to fly apart/have a heart attack/stalk around like a caged animal/etc.  My recommendation it that you talk to a doc about the possibility of meds but make sure it is the right doc!  Listen to your gut and if you don't feel absolutely comfortable with them then find another doc.  (So long as its not Dr. Google or Web MD!)  If I had listened to my "spidey senses" I would have spared myself five months of misery.  Meds aren't the right choice for everyone but they were for me and they might be for you.  Good luck and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: