Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone's breathing been severly affected during a panic attack?  (Read 444 times)

Offline patagonia816

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have been having little attacks here and there since August. Recently I have been sick and I think I may have bronchitis. I will also wheeze after intense exercise. That said, last night I took a hot shower b/c I thought it would help soothe my lungs. While I was in there I felt my heart begin to pound...so I got out and sat down for a few minutes. Then suddenly I got that feeling I sometimes get after I go running where I have to catch my breath and have a difficult time speaking. For a few seconds it felt like I couldn't get any air in or out. Then I took a deep breath in and it was labored and sounded really weird and not right. My whole body tingled and my neck felt tight. I became terrified but tried to remain calm and did some calculated breathing. It was helping me and then boom! Couldn't get any air again and my breathing sounded awful and labored. Meanwhile my heart is pounding and I am still tingling. My gf gave me a paper bag to breathe in and I used it for 10 mins. When I wanted to communicate I wrote on paper and told her I wanted to go to the e.r. My breathing slowly became better but I still didn't feel 100%. Doc did a scan and said my lungs looked fine. Has anyone ever had a similar attack or does this sound like asthma?
Bookmark and Share
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Offline mpamommyto3

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Philippians 4:6
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone's breathing been severly affected during a panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »
Definitely sounds like an anxiety attack.

Last time I went to the ER with an attack, the nurse hooked me up to an oxygen monitor and made me watch it. It was always between 98 and 99. That way I knew I was getting plenty of oxygen and I wasn't having problems breathing, although it felt like I was. Your heart racing is all part of the attack. Focus on slow, steady breathing. 5 seconds in, hold for 2 seconds, out for 5 seconds. This will force your body to stop hyperventilating.
Bookmark and Share
Rebecca J.
17 Years Anxiety Disorder and Depression

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
Thank you for the reply. When the medic arrived he showed me my oxygen sat was at 98, which puzzled me....b/c when the whole incident occurred it literally felt like I was breathing through a straw...and the sound was almost high pitched and wheezy. And at one point it felt like I couldn't get air in or out...it was like everything froze up. It felt like my neck was tightening. In any case...it was the worst attack I've had. I was so, so scared I wasn't going to be able to breathe.

Thanks again for the reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
Its one of the strangest panic symptoms. No one's really sure why it happens. if you asked anyone giong through it, they'd think they were suffocating. But theres never any actual physical change! Its maddening. Because even when you know, for sure, that you're fine... You're still terrified because of how bad it feels.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
Definitely maddening! I have learned that breathing properly can make a significant difference. Through the nose, pause, and then a calm release through the mouth. However I did read somewhere that some people breathe in and out of the nostrils. I've tried it and I'd say it's pretty effective.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr_Dewitt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:39:57 AM »
My breathing was severely affected. So much so that even when no panic attacks were present, i would feel like i had some obstructive lung disease.

After my first and only panic attack, i had breathing problems that lasted about 4 months. Everyday i'd wake up short of breath, unable to have inhale a satisfying breath. Everyday. I had a myriad of tests done, and even conducted some of my own with University equipment (lol). It was all fine.

My breathing is now for the most part normal. God knows how a panic attack caused 4 months of breathlessness, but it just goes to show how much anxiety can ***** you up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
My breathing got real bad during my panic attacks too. I tried breathing in a paper bag, didnt work. I would also get dizzy and feel as if I was passing out. I finally laid down on the floor during an attack, on my back, with my legs up on the wall, and put my arms up behind my head. I can take a deep breath when I do that. I had to sneak away to the bathroom at work and do it sev times a day! Luckily, it was a one person room! I started on .5mg klonopin once a day, so no more panic attacks.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Tags: