Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can muscle tension cause your fingers to twitch? More Parkinson's Fears  (Read 645 times)

Offline javajoe

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This keeps freaking me out, but I'm hoping it's related to the tendons in my arms (that lead to my fingers) being very tense from my anxiety. My fingers will start twitching or moving on their own. Right now it seems to be my left index finger mostly, but last week it was my right index finger.

This is scaring the hell out of me.

Anyone else have this going on with their fingers?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can muscle tension cause your fingers to twitch? More Parkinson's Fears
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
Both of my thigh muscles twitch a bunch where the muscle meets the knees....does that mean I have Parkinsons? Probably not and I bet you don't too.

I have been doing the same thing all week....posting and seeking reassurance. Your caught in a cycle...sensation - > attribute to disease - > fear - > mind creates more sensations - > fear worsens - > more sensations...

I wonder why it flipped to your other hand.....think your other finger needed a vacation? Try and find the humor in it...try and think of it as a mental issue than a physical one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Maisie77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
I have been under a huge amount of stress lately with all kinds of sensations. Twitching had been
Consistent for the last 3 months. I just started having the fingers twitching uncontrollably. Agree, it's frightening.  Almost totally convinced it's all anxiety.
I have had a severe postpartum and under huge amounts
Of anxiety. I have seen 2 different neurologists that feel all my symptoms are anxiety and post partum mood stuff.
I know its scary when your body is moving with out you controlling it.
I think its harmless though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
Both of my thigh muscles twitch a bunch where the muscle meets the knees....does that mean I have Parkinsons? Probably not and I bet you don't too.

I have been doing the same thing all week....posting and seeking reassurance. Your caught in a cycle...sensation - > attribute to disease - > fear - > mind creates more sensations - > fear worsens - > more sensations...

I wonder why it flipped to your other hand.....think your other finger needed a vacation? Try and find the humor in it...try and think of it as a mental issue than a physical one.

That's my problem - I get one symptom and I immediately go into a panic and then more things start happening.

The worst part is that even after seeing the doctor I'm still not convinced I don't have anything.

He didn't mention anything about Parkinson's when I last saw my Neurologist, but I'm sure he would have brought it up if he thought I might be exhibiting some early signs of it.

Like I said before though, these finger moving symptoms didn't start until after I last saw him.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
Yep...it is tough to get out of the cycle. That's why we are on an anxiety forum right?

Take me for example.....I had already been stressing about night time urination. I was obsessed that I had to get up at night to pee because the internet labeled it Nocturia Polyuria and said at age 36 it was uncommon. Nevermind that I had been drinking large amounts of sweet tea before bed and am overweight by 25 lbs.

I took it to the extreme....performing the pee volume tests I read about. Measuring my pee totals during the day vs the night to see if I actually had the issue. How stupid and crazy does that sound? I mean, I am a college educated manager of like 10 people for a large company. I have a beautiful wife and son, nice home.....and I am peeing in a bottle during the day without the direction of a dr.

So fast forward to the weekend this MS fear came about 4 weeks ago. I had gotten up at 4am to hunt with my dad. Packed a 50 lbs pack on my back. Walked 2 miles into the woods through mud. Climbed 20 feet up a tree. Hiked back to my truck and never had one sensation, issue or anything I have now. It was on this trip my dad mentioned MS in our family 2 generations ago that it started. I fixated on MS since I recalled in my mind MS was a cause of urination issues.

Then...the pain started the next day. It started as leg pain...to tingling...to electric shocks....to eye pain....to face tingling...and now to foot pain.

I mean did I just fall apart in the span of four weeks?

In my mind it makes so much sense how stress has brought it all on yet the HA in me still doubts it. And here is the funniest part of all of this..

To help me sleep my Dr. gave me some pills named trazodone. They are in fact an old antidepressant that is used for sleeping now that better SRI pills have come out that make people less drowsy. They have allowed me to sleep and last night I actually slept 8 hours without waking up once.

Now that I think about it, I haven't had the need to pee at night for a few weeks now. My peeing at night issue is gone!!!! Now that I am fixated on something else.

I hope my craziness can serve as an example of what the mind can do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
Yep...it is tough to get out of the cycle. That's why we are on an anxiety forum right?

Take me for example.....I had already been stressing about night time urination. I was obsessed that I had to get up at night to pee because the internet labeled it Nocturia Polyuria and said at age 36 it was uncommon. Nevermind that I had been drinking large amounts of sweet tea before bed and am overweight by 25 lbs.

I took it to the extreme....performing the pee volume tests I read about. Measuring my pee totals during the day vs the night to see if I actually had the issue. How stupid and crazy does that sound? I mean, I am a college educated manager of like 10 people for a large company. I have a beautiful wife and son, nice home.....and I am peeing in a bottle during the day without the direction of a dr.

So fast forward to the weekend this MS fear came about 4 weeks ago. I had gotten up at 4am to hunt with my dad. Packed a 50 lbs pack on my back. Walked 2 miles into the woods through mud. Climbed 20 feet up a tree. Hiked back to my truck and never had one sensation, issue or anything I have now. It was on this trip my dad mentioned MS in our family 2 generations ago that it started. I fixated on MS since I recalled in my mind MS was a cause of urination issues.

Then...the pain started the next day. It started as leg pain...to tingling...to electric shocks....to eye pain....to face tingling...and now to foot pain.

I mean did I just fall apart in the span of four weeks?

In my mind it makes so much sense how stress has brought it all on yet the HA in me still doubts it. And here is the funniest part of all of this..

To help me sleep my Dr. gave me some pills named trazodone. They are in fact an old antidepressant that is used for sleeping now that better SRI pills have come out that make people less drowsy. They have allowed me to sleep and last night I actually slept 8 hours without waking up once.

Now that I think about it, I haven't had the need to pee at night for a few weeks now. My peeing at night issue is gone!!!! Now that I am fixated on something else.

I hope my craziness can serve as an example of what the mind can do.

Looks like we have a lot in common.

My MS fear started in a similar way - my Dad hold told me about how my uncle was recently diagnosed with MS and started telling me what it was and what the symptoms were - before this I only know of the disease and didn't know jack about it.

Then one day, about a year later I start getting tingling in my right leg and arm - and immediately I think about MS.

From there, I started getting what felt like growing pains in my legs, burning sensations, muscle fatigue, and just general pain all over - and this lasted for weeks.

So, I get an MRI and two exams and my doc rules MS out tells me to try and relax.

Now I've moved on to Parkinson's and I just can't let it go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline simona

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:10:03 AM »
I totally hear you...i am suffering from tbe same thing......starting therapy...cbt....maybe it will help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
I had my thumb twitch for days for no reason, but also muscle tension WILL do that - whether it's from anxiety or overuse.  I used heavier weights than usual at the gym yesterday (triceps) and today my arm hurts and my upper arm keeps twitching.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »
My fingers have been twitching and moving recently. They've calmed down a bit now. But it was my legs too...

Not sure what it was.. i just presumed anxiety. It can mess you up! And twitching is so common.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: