Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Amphetamine abuse/addiction  (Read 381 times)

Offline tortured

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Amphetamine abuse/addiction
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »
I have always used drugs and alcohol in an attempt to deal with my PTSD...Now it feels like my amphetamines are controlling me...I am so afraid to quit...I just don't know what to do...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Amphetamine abuse/addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »
There is help out there if you really need it. But you have to want to make the changes for yourself. Not because of others. As you are at the moment is not a good place to be at all. That stuff can knocks years off your life. Not a good mixture at all. So seek out help. Have a word with your doctor to begin with. Or any local help places that might information on the steps you need to take to clean your act up and get the right sort of help for the PTSD.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Kyky89

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
I can definitely relate to your dilemma! I have been self medicating for years and when I didn't drink as often I began to use amphetamines. They seriously controlled my life and I was powerless to stop them. I didn't want to give them up even though I knew I couldn't stop using them if I tried. I never made the decision to quit, I was forced unwillingly. Honestly the first two months kick my butt. I got depressed and was tired al the time. It really sucked, Im not gonna lie.

Even though I was miserable for a while, sooner than I expected things started feeling better. I never want to go back on them because I know how addictive they are to me. My moods evened out and my mental health (and physical too) improved. If you were to place it in front of me today, I honestly can't say if I would be able to resist or not. I just had to rid myself of the temptation in my environment. I also started going to AA and thats helping me figure out how to cope without self medicating.

So my suggestion would be to talk to a professional about it if you can't quit on your own. Get it out of your reach. Try AA or dual diagnosis anonymous. Its really difficult to give it up and you might not be able to do it on your own. I just want you to know that I have been where you are, and from this side, things are so much better, it is worth it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
Amphetamines are a tough one.  The way it effects brain chemistry can be quite significant.  I find that many struggle with recovery without inpatient care.  It's all about a good program of recovery and time.  With crystal methamphetamine, it can take 6 months before an addict really starts thinking right again.  I see much paranoia, magical thinking, anxiety, depression even well into the recovery phase.  Substance induced mood disorders can hang around longer with amphetamines and that is why I don't see much recovery in outpatient settings.

My suggestion, ask for help.  Get some resources together and get a good solid treatment...even considering some extended treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: