Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Yearly mammogram is coming up  (Read 403 times)

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yearly mammogram is coming up
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
 :( its that time of year again. My yearly mammogram is coming up on Dec 5 and I am stressing. I have been doing pretty well anxiety-wise lately but there are those triggers. I don't even know if there's anyone on here anymore that remembers me or I remember...
anyway....the report said normal last year but that there are some benign calcifications. This scares me. And so I am starting to worry. This sucks too because my 6 yo dd loves to go everywhere with me still and cannot go to my appointment with me because we can't be in the same room when I'm getting squished and I will not allow her to sit in the waiting room for me obviously...alone.
I also have the same relationship issues as always. That has always added to my HA. I have come to the conclusion that I am meant to be single. Is that selfish? I think it is the only way that I can truly be the happiest I can be.
I am stressing.
background: mom died of colon cancer. sister had pre-cancer of the breast. News stories have mentioned a potential link between colon & breast cancer. I've started my colonoscopies, always have polyps to be removed but thank God they are removed. IF i am to be divorced in the future I will lose my health insurance. I need these tests...and now there is a terrible stomach virus going around my daughters school and I am terrified of throwing up and terrified of her throwing up. Enough? or shall I go on? because I could...
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline PennyPanic

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Yearly mammogram is coming up
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
I feel for you....those yearly tests absolutely make me super anxious....so I get it. 

The good news is you're doing all the right things in following doctors orders and guidelines to get tested. 

Hang in there...keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Turkeylips

• Rec's: 3
  • Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
You are going to be fine! Tests make me nervous but also reassure me at the same time, especially if it is just a regular yearly test.  You're not getting a mammogram because of anything suspicious this time.  It's just an annual exam. 

My mom had a weird spot that they found on her mammogram. They did minor surgery to remove it and it was weird and unusual and they weren't sure what it was. They checked her again in six months and nothing changed so they told she's fine. No cancer even with a weird vieny thing removed.
Bookmark and Share
Romans 12:12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
I just had my yearly mammogram and ultrasound follow-up. I always have an ultrasound follow-up since I have a history of cystic breasts. The idea of both - mammogram and ultrasound - usually send me over the edge, so I can relate. One thing that I have done in the past couple years is to call the breast center to see if there are any cancellations on a day I am free before my scheduled appointment. If they have a cancellation, then I will take it and get it over with - this keeps me from freaking out for weeks in advance of my regularly scheduled appointment. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
I have benign calcifications too.  I'm 47 and they were found 3 or 4 years ago (got a call back).  My annual mammogram is tomorrow and it's all I've been able to think about (well, mostly) since I booked it a month ago.  It is a nerve wracking experience.  Some women are able to get reads the same day.  That is not how it works where I go.  You either get a call back in 2 or 3 days if they need more images or you don't hear for about 2 weeks.  I can call my primary and try to get the read but I don't think they'd have any info for him for at least 3-4 days.

I hope you can find out sooner than that.  I envy people who are able to get same-day reads.  I'm just outside of Boston and go to a very well-known breast care center and they don't do that.   Good luck and we can pray for each other.  :)
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
omg you must have flipped out when you got the call back! I've been told it is common to get called back for clearer pictures at some point in our...mammos.
Thanks for sharing..I appreciate it. I will definitely be praying for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »
Thank you so much. You're very kind. It was normal.  It was hard waiting for results through the Thanksgiving holiday but I am very grateful for the results.   I wanted to post results because many people don't come back to let us know how they made out.

Crazygirl, how did your mammogram go?
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
thanks fro asking-it was normal!!! I got the letter in the mail a full week after the test was done. That waiting is hard.
But I am so thankful  and relieved.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: