Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Paxil progress  (Read 297 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Paxil progress
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »
So it's been a month on 20mg of Paxil and I notice an improvement in my anxiety but not the depression really that much. I also take klonopin which I think has a lot to do with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Paxil progress
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
do you take klonopin every day? i think that may be what's helping your anxiety if you do take it every day, and not the paxil. maybe stay on the paxil a bit longer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
So it's been a month on 20mg of Paxil and I notice an improvement in my anxiety but not the depression really that much. I also take klonopin which I think has a lot to do with it.

It is still too early to make any judgments. It can take 3-12 weeks at a therapeutic dose for antidepressants to kick-in. Benzodiazepines may delay this a bit, and they can trigger or exacerbate depression too, though probably not that much at the low doses typically prescribed for anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline brendab1223

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Please let us know how it's going. I was just put on Paxil 20 mg and Klonopin .5 mg 3x per day. Wanting to know how it's affecting you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
I feel like it's helping with my anxiety, but not the depression as much. Everyone's different tho.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brendab1223

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
Oh ok. I don't have depression. Just GAD with panic attacks. When I asked my psych what Paxil was for he said it was for anxiety. But like it was said give it some time. It may take a while. I've only been day on it and still struggling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »
When I asked my psych what Paxil was for he said it was for anxiety.

The underlying biology of anxiety and depression is the same, it just gets expressed differently. These disorders are just different points on a continuum. So antidepressants treat both, but the SSRIs do seem to be slightly better at easing anxiety than depression. The two antidepressants most effective at pulling people back from really deep, dark, bordering on catatonic depressions (Effexor and Remeron) are not SSRIs at the doses usually prescribed for such severe cases (though Effexor is only a SSRI at typical anxiety doses, i.e. <150mg).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
Yeah for sure, I wish I would have never stopped taking my effexor I was on it for 6 years and did great. I think I might try and go back on it I don't seem to have much luck with ssris so far. I just gotta be prepared for that hellish startup anxiety, but this time I have klonopin to calm me down.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: