Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone with cymbalta experience?  (Read 521 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone with cymbalta experience?
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »
Just curious if anyone with anxiety-predominant symptoms (+ or - depressed mood) had any experience with cymbalta. I've heard some positive stories for depression/fibro, etc but nobody who took it for/with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone with cymbalta experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
Pretty much everything said about tricyclic antidepressants also applies to SNRIs (with the exception of Effexor). The double whammy of the serotonin+norepinephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake inhibition can produce powerful results. That said, whether it works for you is something only trying it will determine. No antidepressant is intrinsically more effective than any other, but one often will be for an individual.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline laineymom

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
I know this thread is kind of old, but I wanted to give you my experience with Cymbalta. I have been on it twice now and it has helped my panic attacks and anxiety greatly. It was a b#******h to go off of, but I survived and am on again because my panic/anxiety came back after about a year off of it. I am at a pretty low dose (30mg, the theraputic dose is 60mg) and I am hoping I can stay there as that's where I was last time I was on it for a few years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »
Month old thread, but I wanted to add my experience with this drug. I've been on it for exactly a week and have already noticed positive effects on my anxiety and fibro. I am less jumpy, I have been worrying less and am less startled. Anxiety is still there, but no where near as bad. I had the same positive experience with Effexor 8 ears ago which is in the same class of drugs. Hope that helps. Oh, and I am on 30mg but my doc wants to bump me up to 120mg.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, HA, BPD. LPR and peptic ulcer. Possible fibro.

Offline Sleepingbear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
Again, thread is a little old, but I've been on Cymbalta 60mg for about a month and have noticed significant benefit of anxiety and also the depression that came from being anxious,
Bookmark and Share

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »
Yeh I'm on 30mg but hoping to up to 40. Eases up my worrying and my migraine related symptoms a little bit...sometimes I feel like I am on speed, sometimes still depressed...anyway, I take Klonopin alongside this to take the edge off the physical anxiety symptoms (not necessarily Cymb induced), and it helps.
No other Cymb side fx that I can see, except some weight loss; therefore, I am marrying this drug.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
I didn't have to many side effects besides constipation and weight gain but helped anxiety tremendously
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »
I was put on 30mg Cymbalta for awhile. Honestly, it wasn't so bad on it. I felt kind of out of it, which I didn't really like, but I felt relatively relaxed overall.

When I told the Psychiatrist this he upped it to 60mg. I took that for three nights in a row (I always took my doses at night) and I had bad anxiety attacks each night. My chest would tighten up and all. When I called and told them this after the first night he dismissed it and said to give it time. After the next two days I called him and talked to the secretary. I told her how bad I was feeling and she transferred me to his line -- something he never does. I told him how scared I was and he just said "stop taking it". No tapering off or anything.

At the time I was also going to a Wellness Center that was constantly telling me to get off of the pharmaceuticals. So with the bad side effects at that point and them saying to get off of it, I did.

Worst. Side. Effects. EVER.

For weeks it felt as if my eyes were going to fall out of my head. I was dizzy and felt incredibly sick.

But every person is different, so it may work even better for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »
Wow! Sounds like you really had a bad experience with that situation! I'm sorry to hear it!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: