Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sick with Worry-MS FEAR  (Read 691 times)

Offline sallydraper

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sick with Worry-MS FEAR
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
If anyone could respond to me..I would be so grateful! I have been sick for about 6 months and this is the only site that has helped me with my fears. I would love any insight about symptoms I've been dealing with. I went through a very stressful two week period in April, during that time my ring and pink finger became numb for several hours..then returned to normal. They went numb while on a stressful drive.
 A week later, once I was not feeling as stressed..those same fingers went numb again except this time they didn't return to normal. A day later the same two fingers in my right hand went numb.
A week later I developed symmetrical numbness in my toes on both feet. I became very scared and went to a GP. She ran many blood tests and called me later that week to say I had a SEVERE Vit D deficiency. She had me take 50 thousand mg once a week. I took my first pill as directed..when I went to bed that night something terrible happened. My left leg started vibrating terribly and my left arm became tingly. I had terrible dreams and could not sleep at all!
 The next day my left leg was so numb I could barely walk on it! I was in a state of panic. 24 hours later my leg and arm were back to normal. I never took the vitamin d again because of my reaction.
 I saw a different GP the next week who did more blood tests. She said my Vit D was fine but my B12 was extremely high. I had been taking a daily b12 for a month. She told me to stop taking all vitamins.
I saw another doctor for a third opinion. All of them have told I am having vitamin deficiency issues and anxiety.

About two months ago I started having shooting pains in my left arm that comes and goes. It happens about one day a week. Aleve doesn't make it go away. I also have this issue in my left leg..it comes and goes..hasn't happened now in about a month.
 Some days I have tingly feelings in my left leg..some times I have those feeling in my left arm. Each day is different.
 I have numbness some days on the left side of my buttocks. I had a spot that would come and go about once or twice a week where my buttocks meets my leg. That went away and now it is in the center of my left buttocks..again this comes and goes.
 I have had some degree of numbness (most day it is symmetrical) in my fingers and toes plus entire feet and hands on both sides for 6 months. There are usually about two days a month where I have no numbness anywhere. What I don't understand is that I am an avid runner and run 3 miles five days a week. Sometimes my toe and finger numbness does get worse during the run..but then returns to normal when I get home and sit down.
 The internet tells me I have MS however, no doctor has even tried to send me to a neuro. I worry so much about what is wrong with me..and when I do..my symptoms do get worse. I am wondering if anxiety could be causing all this or if I am truly sick with something such as MS. I did start a stressful job last year..but I've had stressful jobs in the past with no issues like these. I told my doctor this week I was freaking out convinced I had MS. She said her MS patients complain of massive weakness and fatigue..I have neither. She did not see the need for me to be referred to anyone else. She prescribed Mobic for my pain and I am taking it daily. She is now thinking I have a pinched nerve. I don't see how a pinched nerve would make me numb in so many places on both sides. I worry about MS 24/7 and can barely sleep. I was a happy person before this started and now I am in a state of depression.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sick with Worry-MS FEAR
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:40:08 AM »
I am sorry you are going through such a rough time right now.  Know that you aren't alone.  Many people on this site suffer from MS fear.  It's a common one. As your doctor's have been saying to you, anxiety and vitamin deficiency can definitely cause the symptoms you are experiencing.  Have you read the list of 100 anxiety symptoms?  If not, you should.  It's an eye opener.

If you begin to deal with your anxiety you may find these symptoms will slowly diminish.  I find that reading self help books, exercise, yoga and deep breathing are helpful in calming me down.  Therapy might be something you could try as well.

Feel well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline flasharoo

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Your numbness in the fingers can be related to Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow or inflammation especially if the numbness is only effecting the pinky and one half of the ring finger ...  to be more exact the side that is opposite the pinky finger.

Ref to image as an example.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
Thanks for your replies. My numbness is usually my entire feet and hands..the palms..everything. However some days one finger or toe feels worse than others but it is the SAME on each side. My doctor doesn't understand. I just had my vitamins re-tested and everything came back normal. I wonder if I will ever feel normal again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flasharoo

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
well you shouldn't worry about MS cause it does not present it's self in that manner besides your doctor knows best .. and seeing you had more than one opinion you are best of listening to them and accepting the fact that it is all down to anxiety, which causes lots of pins needles and numbness all over the body ... but it can also be due to vitamin deficiency !!!

Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Have any of your doctors performed a neurological exam, you know where they shine a light in your eyes, tap your knees, etc? Are these your only symptoms? Have you been diagnosed with anxiety and are you in treatment of any kind?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
Thank you! I have been given strength tests by two doctors--both said my strength was great.  I have had xrays of spine and neck looking for tumors--all clear. A degenerative disc was found in my lower spine where I do have pain when the area is pressed on.
 I was prescribed Prozac this summer and quit taking it after seeing floaters and having blurred vision and also tightness in my chest. I am not sure if the medicine actually caused those symptoms or if it was my anxiety from googling side effects before even starting the pills.
 I was also prescribed xanax for a cross country flight because I have recently become terrified of flying. I did notice that my numbness pretty much went entirely away after taking a xanax but returned after the pill wore off. My DR will not give me xanax daily because she says it is addictive.
 Sometimes I have shaky fingers so I stopped drinking caffeine and that has cleared up. I have a very very hard time believing anxiety has made my entire feet and hands numb for 6 months pretty much 24/7. I also can't believe anxiety would make a numb patch appear on my buttocks that stays for months then goes away or tingly feelings in my leg and arm. I want more than anything NOT to have MS or something similar but I cannot logically explain all these symptoms that won't go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
sally..I am having the same fear as you right now about MS. I have had left arm and leg pain off and on for a few years that typically pops up with exercise after a long layoff, lifting something heavy. Never thought much of it since it went away shortly after a week or so each time. Dr, Google has changed that though.

I will tell you this, I had some old Xanax from my first HA scare last year. I took one yesterday and boom...my arm/leg issues appeared to go away. Now today, it appears to be back but I admit I am OCD about checking is it is there.

Maybe that should tell us something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
^ exactly. MS sympotoms like numbness and such would NOT go away when you take a xanax, klonopin (or any other A/D, anti-anxiety drug). The damage that occurs from MS is due to an interruption of nerve signals resulting from the destruction (and resulting inflammation) of the myelin sheath covering those nerves in your CNS. You could pop all the xanax you want but it would never make those nerve signals magically start coommunicating again. This should tell you both something about your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
Thank you Michelle and Pingman..let's take the Xanax as a big sign that it is truly anxiety. The problem is..I was only given enough anxiety for all my flights and I don't have any to "test" my symptoms anymore. It is so crazy to me that I have made myself this sick if that is in fact the truth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
Well, trick or treating here in my town last night. Had friends over and we drank some wine and watched a movie. Got a little buzz from the wine and didn't think about my leg/arm. No issues.

My son woke me up at 3am and when I went back to bed I immediately laid down and thought about my left side. Feelings came back and anxiety kicked in. Same thing this morning. Need to really work hard on my mind. Since my anxiety tends to be more OCD related the SRI pills do cuase me to freak. I analyze how I feel on them and how they are poisoning my body and they kinda freak me out too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
I can understand the fear of meds, Pingman.
 What I don't understand about myself is that my numbness changes in intensity pretty much hourly..definitely is different every day. Is this an MS symptom?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
I am not sure about that...but the same thing is happening to me as well. Yesterday, my arm and hand were fine but my calf and foot were bothering me. I wouldn't call it sever in anyway but more annoying than anything. Went to bed feeling good and awoke at 3am, checked to see if my arm/leg were tingling. Sent me into a small panic attack and I actually began shaking in bed...horrible feeling. Finally back to sleep and woke up this morning and had no bad sensations. Then I sat down with my coffee and began checking to see if my leg and arm were bothering me...sure enough they started to. I even think I am feeling my face tingle a little now.

Now my calf is spasming, my fingers in my left arm hurt and I sense tingling in my face. I know that I have given myself pain symptoms with my last bout of HA when I was worried about UC and Crohns. For some reason I can't get my mind off my symptoms. To make it worse, I can't get to the Dr. for about a month. I had my Eye apt Friday and he said my eyes look great, I would assume if I had optic nerve issues he would have noticed. I don't seem to have balance issues, can run on the treadmill just fine. I am not tired anytime unless I take a zyrtec then I am knocked out tired.

The more I worry the worse and more synptoms I am getting. My mind says hey dummy recognize that!! Wake up and realize that your tingling comes and goes daily and hourly, you prob wouldn't even notice if you weren't checking if you are sore and tingling. But.....that part of my brain that recognizes fear and danger says but....it is tingling so shouldn't that signal a problem.

I was at Kohls with my wife yesterday and saw two guys around age 40 in wheel chairs. Living life with their families and shopping. What happens if we do have MS? I don't want it but living life like this sucks as well. I am less worried about living life one day in a wheel chair as I am about the pain. I just wouldn't like the pain if pain is associated with MS. I can't check that out though cause I am done googling. I do know I read a bunch of stories about people leading normal lives for a long time with MS.  I guess we need to try and be positive...what if I told you you had pancreatic cancer or MS? Maybe in 20 years they will have invented some wonder drug for MS.

Sally lets try and stay positive......HA is winning. Maybe we just have anxiety or sore muscles.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
I am very worried again. I felt good for two months. Then five days ago my left leg started feeling tingly and it hasn't gone away. I have a new numb patch on the left side of my chest..for three days now..
 The left spot on my buttocks (numb patch) has returned. I am SURE these are MS signs.

I am sick with worry. I am calling my DR Monday to see if she can refer me to a neuro.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
The only thing that makes me think it might not be MS is that I am not tired. I don't have fatigue. I can run three miles a day five times a week. But I just read a story about a woman who was doing jazzercise 5 days a week a year into her diagnosis.

I called to get a referral to a neuro today..waiting to hear back tomorrow. Can anyone relate to my issues?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: