Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Problems with insomnia/anxiety  (Read 373 times)

Offline ArKano22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Problems with insomnia/anxiety
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:30:15 AM »
Lately ive been having some severe problems with insomnia. Im only able to sleep for 2-3 hours a night, then I wake up startled and im unable to sleep again. And when i wake up, im not 100% sure if i have been sleeping or just laying there half-awake. I can only be sure that ive been sleeping when i remember traces of dreams i had while asleep. The day after im not that tired, but I feel very very nervous instead and with little tolerance to annoyances.

Is this normal? i mean, my whole life ive been sleeping 8-10 hours per night with no prob at all. And it was very obvious that i had slept trough these hours, though i never remembered any dreams. It was just 8-10 hours of complete darkness.

Ive been taking bezos to help me with sleeping and they work, but im afraid of becoming addicted so ive stopped taking them. help!
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Problems with insomnia/anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:46 AM »
Well the best thing to do is try stay in bed. Even if you are not sleeping. To get up and move around will only wake you up even further. Not sure how long you were on the medication for. But that could be a part of why you can't sleep now. If they were helping you sleep I would have stuck with them. One a night. That is not much at all. But each to their own. Maybe try meditation and see if that helps. Some relaxation CD. One that talks you through relaxing. They do work for some people. Radio with slow music on. Have to find something that might work for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ArKano22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
Thanks Cuchculan for your reply. Ive been on meds for approximately two months, which is pretty long (at least according to what ive read, which reccommends to not exceed three-four weeks of treatment). Im scared that i wont be able to sleep properly anymore without the help of meds.

Ive tried music and relaxation techniques, and they do help to reduce the anxiety associated to staying in bed watching the hours fly by, but not with sleep itself. I think im a bit obsessed with sleep by now, which I know does not help but... often when i wake up in the middle of the night i take a look at the clock, and if its any sooner than 6 a.m i freak out and stay awake until 8 a.m.

Honestly, this sucks a lot. :traurig001: I may go back to the benzos if this continues for a few days....meh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Living4today

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
I too suffer from anxiety induced insomnia.  I am okay once I fall asleep, but I can't get to sleep and seem to be up very late every night and then waking early the next morning with the anxiety still in place from the day before.  It's maddening.  I am not on medication, I'd like to find something natural to use, I know that melatonin has been known to work well for insomnia, but not necessarily for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline pluperfecthell

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My panic attack is having a panic attack.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
At one point my anxiety was so bad that I couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night either and I was having panic attacks as soon as I woke up. I started drinking Sleepytime Tea before bed and that helped me a lot. Like, I would feel myself start to worry but since the tea has chamomile in it and is meant to relax you, I wouldn't get any of the symptoms?? Like I could be nervous in my head, but my heart wouldn't start to race and I wouldn't get shortness of breath and it made me drowsy so it was much easier to fall asleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Living4today

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:17 AM »
At one point my anxiety was so bad that I couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night either and I was having panic attacks as soon as I woke up. I started drinking Sleepytime Tea before bed and that helped me a lot. Like, I would feel myself start to worry but since the tea has chamomile in it and is meant to relax you, I wouldn't get any of the symptoms?? Like I could be nervous in my head, but my heart wouldn't start to race and I wouldn't get shortness of breath and it made me drowsy so it was much easier to fall asleep.

I experience the panic attacks immediately upon waking on a pretty regular basis. I wake & immediately start to feel tightness in my chest, uneasiness & shakey on the inside feeling. I have to literally tell myself to calm down. I can relate to what you mentioned above. It's a terrible feeling!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wagnerb

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
I used to have problems falling asleep at night too. I was just laying there turning in my bed and my mind was racing. I would wake up several times during the night and  I was so tired in the morning. I'm not even sure if i was sleeping well. Everytime i looked at the alarm clock an hour or two had passed, but i don't know if i was asleep during that time. 
It got much better after i did some changes around sleep time.  No bright lights (including computer monitor!), nothing that would amp me up, I got rid of all the visual clocks in my bedroom (looking at the time in the middle of the night would actually make me more anxious). If i couldn't fall asleep soon, i would get out of bedroom and do some reading. NO TV!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ArKano22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Hi there,

Thanks wagnerb, im doing better lately. Falling asleep after 40min-1hour, and sleeping more or less non stop for 7-8 hours. Some nights (specially when ive had a hard day) are still pretty rough, but at least i can tell when im sleeping and when im not :D
Bookmark and Share