Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Genetic Testing  (Read 305 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Landslide1984

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Genetic Testing
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:55:05 AM »
My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 31, right after I was born. She passed away 5 days after I turned 2, she was only 33. I'm now 29. I just found out that my insurance will cover genetic testing. Which is totally fantastic. But it's also extremely terrifying. I have an 8 year old daughter and there are so many what-ifs. The soonest appointment they had was in mid December. Just gives me so much more time to panic. Will have to focus all my energy on holding it together.  I have no anti-anxiety meds to take the edge off. Just have to try and clear my mind.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2620
  • Country: us
  • Rec's: 76
  • Gender: Female
    • Poke This Member
Re: Genetic Testing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »
Am so sorry about your loss and your terrible worry. So understandable. In fact, there was a woman here with similar issues.

Right now please try everything you can think of to distract yourself until there are test results. Try yoga, tai chi, meditation, walking, hobbies, cooking, cleaning, etc. Worrying helps nothing, as we know. Maybe there is a website for those with the gene, though at this point you are not there. Wishing you the best, hoping with you, keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Country: nl
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Genetic Testing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
I think it's amazing you're getting yourself tested. That takes a lot of courage and you can be proud of yourself. You set a great example for your daughter. Have you told the doctors how scared you are? Sometimes you can get yourself on a list to be scheduled right away when someone else canceled the appointment.
Please remember so much has changed in the last 27 years. Diagnosing  is faster and easier, treatment is much better and we know so much more about genetics and breast cancer. Wishing you the best!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Landslide1984

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Genetic Testing
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:01 PM »
I had my test December 16th. First I met with a geneticist and talked about my family tree. And talked about my risk for the gene. Only about a 10% chance. Which is pretty good. I like to think of it as a 90% chance that I don't have it. Sounds better to me. Now's the tough part. The six week waiting period. I got a private message today, which unfortunately I am not able to answer because I haven't made enough "meaningful posts" but as soon as I have I will respond :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
  • Country: nl
  • Rec's: 2
  • Gender: Female
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Genetic Testing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
Like I said; it's very brave you took the test. And 90% is very good! Please let us know if the results are back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Country: hu
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Re: Genetic Testing
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:35:31 AM »
You're so brave - and it's great that you are doing it. In the worst case scenario, you will have some choices to reduce your risk and it's good to start early. But most likely you are fine - 10% risk is small.

My mother had breast cancer at 52, but her type of breast cancer is one that is often genetic (triple negative, typical of BRCA1). I've had a lot of issues with my breasts as well and one year ago when I was 27 I did the preventive mastectomy with reconstruction - the same that Angelina Jolie had, but it was before she had it.

My decision was mostly based on my debilitating anxiety on the subject and the fact that I had some modifications on my MRI that warranted close watching which would have been expensive and even more mentally debilitating. I felt I couldn't live with the fear and I was sure that by removing this risk I will be at peace - but it turns out my mind has now found other diseases to worry about. I don't regret having the surgery though - the result is pretty great and the risk reduction is still a fact.

Bookmark and Share

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
823 Views
Last post April 19, 2009, 07:33:23 AM
by sixpack
16 Replies
1240 Views
Last post October 28, 2009, 11:21:21 AM
by Bama21
3 Replies
313 Views
Last post August 01, 2011, 08:12:36 PM
by Ravens Lady
15 Replies
2508 Views
Last post September 19, 2011, 12:26:46 AM
by ms anxiety
5 Replies
222 Views
Last post December 02, 2013, 10:15:05 PM
by michelle360