Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Want to have kids one day but scared of postpartum.  (Read 413 times)

Offline candice

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Want to have kids one day but scared of postpartum.
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
A little about me: I'm 30 years old.  I don't have any kids.  I have a wonderful fiancÚ.  We've been together for almost 9 years.  I started having panic attacks in August.  I just got on Paxil about 3 weeks ago. 

Ok, so...I'm getting to the age where people say it gets risky being pregnant.  I've heard that 35+ increases your risks.  So i'm kind of in a hurry.  The only thing is my panic disorder and medication.  I know Paxil is awful for pregnancies.  I plan to take it for atleast a year to see if I can go into remission.  I want to taper off and then eventually try to have a baby.

I'm terrified of getting off of my meds first off.  Then.... what if I am in remission and then I get terrible postpartum!? 

I really do not want to adopt.  I want a little version of my fiancÚ and I :) 

Anyone have any experiences with this?  Do you just get back on medication after giving birth?  I plan on breast feeding so I'm worried about that too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline StressedMama

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Want to have kids one day but scared of postpartum.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
First, not everyone gets PPD. I have 5 kids...never had a day of even the baby blues. In fact, pg and 12 wks following, I am beyond happy. Today though, OBs are very aware of PPD and baby blues. They are paying attention and talk about how you are feeling, what you are feeling, etc, and they are much more educated to catch it if it occurs and how to treat with you. When you are considering pregnancy, have an open talk with your OB prior. They will be aware and work with you every step of the way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline candice

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:08 AM »
Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
I have a 9month old daughter - my first baby. I was not on any meds prior to pregnancy besides the occasional Xanax to help control my attacks. However, when I got pregnant my anxiety turned into depression and I was dealing not only with daily attacks but also bouts of extreme crying, and I couldn't take my Xanax.

My OB, who was very educated in this type of disorder, prescribed my Zoloft to start, as it is considered the "safest" med during pregnancy. I was worried about taking it and actually waited a few weeks before I tried it. It was horrible, I wasn't eating, could barely sleep, I was so scared I was going to miscarry.

Long story short, I took the Zoloft, 50mgs, and I was feeling so much better within a month after starting them. I did not have another attack throughout my entire pregnancy ... I continued on the Zoloft post partum and I had maybe 1-2 days of the "baby blues" after I came home from the hospital but that quickly faded.

However, within the last week I have been having daily anxiety attacks again, after not having any for 1+ year! Since I'm not pregnant anymore I am back on the Xanax, about to switch to Klonopin until I"m stable and may increase my Zoloft.

Moral of the story - not every woman will get PPD. Especially if you are upfront and honest with your OB about your fears/past history. They will do everything to ensure you have a happy pregnancy, and post pregnancy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dreamspirit

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
I had my first son 3 days after I turned 19. I didn't have post partum but I also didn't have panic/anxiety/depression at that point in my life.. I had my second son when I was 27.. I did have post partum depression with him but I also started with the depression,panic/anxiety in my early twenties.
I also have been on Paxil for 16 years.. Just now trying to taper off of it, Do to it starting to poop out.
It's hard to say if you would get post partum or not. Some people do and some people don't. I was even on Paxil through my whole pregnancy too..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: