Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New Member - Struggling with Panic Attacks  (Read 231 times)

Offline MilSpouse

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New Member - Struggling with Panic Attacks
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
Hello!

I have been tentatively diagnosed with anxiety/panic attacks by my doctor, and have come here looking for some reassurance and help. So far so good!

My experience with this started about 3 weeks ago when I started having chest pains. At first, I thought it was indigestion but it continued to worsen until I decided to go the ER. Six hour later I was told that I appear to be in great health and my heart seems fine. The pains continued, so I've been pursuing it with my regular doctor as well and still nothing seems physically wrong - I am 24, pretty active (I was running 15-20 miles a week before this started), have clean x-rays, EKGs and bloodwork. I do have a bicuspid aortic valve, so I'm following up with a cardiologist, but so far everything seems good there as well. Thus, my doctor suspects I am most likely plagued by panic attacks.

I am so frustrated because these attacks come out of nowhere and seem to have no cause. They usually come as heart attack symptoms (chest pain, shoulder/arm pain, nausea) and lately I get dizzy and even blacked out briefly. Plus, in between attacks, I still have regular chest/back pains. I need to be able to function, so I'm trying medication until life is a little less stressful, but it's still not built up in my system and I'm having a tough time managing in the meantime. My husband is in the military and is gone fairly often, so it's even harder trying to control it alone. Reading the experiences of other people has really helped though - I just wish I could get my subconscious to understand that this is just panic! Thanks to all of you on here for being so supportive and willing to share experiences!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Member - Struggling with Panic Attacks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Member - Struggling with Panic Attacks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
You have been assured by your doctor and at the ER you're a physical specimen.  This is great news.  Plus, you have been aerobically fit.  Yes, you have anxiety and this is a mind thing.  The more you fear it, the more it comes on.  Try to practice acceptance even when you are frightened out of your mind that you're dying.  You're not going to die...yet anyway!  You have anxiety.  Don't fight it, just try to accept.  Little by little, you'll get relief.

Wishing you all the best,  Julie
Bookmark and Share

Tags: