Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety thinking about reality  (Read 1048 times)

Offline adamc12

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety thinking about reality
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post here so bare with me.

I am 16 and for the past couple of years I have started to get continual thoughts about "who am I", not just who I am but where 'I' came from (no, I'm not talking about birds and the bees). I constantly think how a clump of atoms could make me, me - give me the feeling of consciousness and reality. Sometimes I feel as if I am not real just because I can't understand how the hardcore basics of my soul ever came into existence.

I also get literally mind-boggled when I think about the earth, space and the extent of the universe.

Sometimes when I think of either of these topics (especially in public) I get a horrible episodic feeling that overcomes me. My face feels and looks really flushed, my head goes really light and I am completely unreal as if everything else around me is real but I am not - to be honest the feeling at that moment in time is so horrible I wish I would collapse so I wouldn't have to go through it.

It has now got to the stage where I am more reluctant to go out in public (however I have managed to improve sociability over the last few months). Nevertheless it is a day to day struggle for me to live with this...weird... feeling that hangs over me.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could shed some light on my problem and give any information that would stop me feeling this way. I would also love for people who feel the same way to post just so I know that there are others out there who are going through what I am going through.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. As I am sure you have guessed I am not religious therefore any spiritual guidance would not be beneficial.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety thinking about reality
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
You know what I say the greatest mystery of life is? Death. We all have these thoughts about what happens after we die. Only way we will ever find out is when we do die. So we can all have these strange thoughts floating through our heads. Yes, you look at life. The way everything fits so perfect together to make the earth and life on it what it is. Fluke or no fluke I am not moaning about it. As for the soul. Just my own opinion. I see the body as just like a shell. Housing the soul. We die, I do believe the soul moves on. The body isn't really that important. Some cultures leave a dead body out for birds to eat. As the believe the soul has already moved on from the body. Nice idea. But I couldn't see it catching on in Ireland.  :laugh3: Your mind just seems over active. Like you can't do something with exploring everything connected to it first. It would be this I would try and change. Just do what you have to do. Accept what you see as real. That if you were not real your feet would not be solid on the ground. Just a lot of mixed up thoughts. Maybe start a blog here on the site. Write your thoughts down. Or even a journal.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:13:14 AM »
I am 18 and I get this way after being alone for awhile. It feels really uncomfortable and scary to think about our existence, and it can be really depressing too. The only thing that I find that helps is to be active and be with friends/family and kinda keep yourself occupied.  Also, definitely have an outlet for your thoughts. Discuss this with a friend or just write it down. Life is a big mystery and unfortunately it will probably remain that way. Sometimes you have to just live in the moment, and experience what life has to offer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
Sad to say, we have no idea what it is that makes a unique individual an individual. Maybe that's for the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nikkiq.ns

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
Man oh man, have I felt that way before. I remember it starting when I was ten. I would stay up late, sometimes not even sleep because the thought of reality didn'tseem real at all. However, as I got older I realized i wavy the only one, and that was a commin way people feel. After a while it does start to go away, but sleep, exerciseanf meditation really help to not over think. Good luck! It gets better :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ilikemushrooms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:35 AM »
omg i'm exactly like you, and im the same age too ^^ (hi5 for same age problems)

when i was young i used to think like 'how big is the actual universe' and 'is there anything outside the universe' and all the mindboggling things that really irritate me and part of the reason why i have anxiety. its a pretty horrible experience that i would never wish on anyone (its those moments where you just WISH you were blonde for a while) but it goes away when you're minds not running treadmills on it and you're focusing on something else. like you, im not religious either ahah, but i'm trying to change my ways and stay positive, and accepting my dp/drs and stuff because YOLO, seriously. make every minute of your life worth it (: we're both still young, and when you look back to these moments in your life, you feel like you just wasted all this time just worrying about it, and i guess as we grow we tend to accept the changes, so yeah. i guess having existenial thoughts is good for growing experiences (:

lol its weird because in my school theres philosophy as a subject and im just like thinking 'how do people cope with all this deep talk and big matters, do they know how some of us feel?' ahah

talk to me sometime if you want  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ashz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »
hey!!!

i thought i was the only one!!!! I think about this every single day... if im in group situations i willl sit there and just stare at everyone thinking... how are we functioning.. what is conciousness... how does that even work... what is this 'life' ect

it makes me so anxious inside and freaks me out bad!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:30:08 PM »
Yep. I've been through this a LOT. You're asking a lot of unanswerable questions, and naturally anxiety does not respond well to questions that are unanswerable. Instead, we obsess over these things, trying to find a satisfying answer, but there really isn't one. Lots of the great writers, poets, etc. had these kinds of thoughts. Some people refer to it as "existential depression." When my anxiety is at its worst, I often wonder what the point to life, existence, etc. is. Again, there really isn't a good answer. I find the best way to get past this is to find other things to focus on. I think this kind of problem occurs with people (like myself) who spend too much time in their own heads. Do your best to turn your thoughts outward, and you'll probably find some relief.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety reality