Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I think I need to reevaluate my life  (Read 724 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think I need to reevaluate my life
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
I am a 20 year old male, and I think it's time to reevaluate my life. I've had a lot of major setbacks lately and I feel like I need to sort things out. My social life/love life have really gone downhill the past 2 years. I've tried dating again, and a lot of girls say that I'm amazing (not trying to sound like a tool), but they all say the same thing - I'm a great friend, not boyfriend. I want to go to college desperately but I keep changing my mind on what I want to do, so I feel like a wreck and I face constant criticism from my family because of it.  I am so anxious that my life is going nowhere, and that it never will.
Now I have one idea and I would like anyone's opinion on it. I think I have decided to earn my Bachelor's degree in Biology and then further my education in Oncology, Radiology or some other type of occupation in the medical field. Now this will cost me $100,000+ when all is said and done. My concern is I'm wondering if it's worth it or not. Since my life is literally going nowhere now, I feel that in order for me to make something of myself, I need to be successful. Now I do want to help people don't get me wrong, but I feel that I won't be happy unless someone really needs me. And I feel that will be the only way I'll feel needed.
So does that sound like a good idea or is there a different way I should reevaluate my life?
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I need to reevaluate my life
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
I'd like to make a suggestion if I may.....you say you have interest in Biology and want to further your education into Oncology or Radiology....are you choosing one of these because they interest you or because they are in the medical field?  If you like biology, can I suggest that you perhaps check into schooling as a histology tech?  There is a high demand in that area, it's very interesting and it won't take years and years of schooling to get a degree....if you start out with something that doesn't take years and years, it's makes it much easier to see that you have reached a goal, and if you wish, go further after that.  It's a great way to learn a lot about the medical field and also histology techs do interact a lot with radiology and oncology; this would give you an opportunity to see if one of these fields is really what you are after....just a thought!  Also, typically if you get hired by a hospital in a professional capacity, which a histology tech is, the hospital will typically help you financially to further your education!!  It's a win-win!!!   Give it some thought, do some research on the job, and see what you think!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Thank you for the response.
I chose Oncology since I really want to help cancer patients.  I was interested in something in the medical field when I was younger I just couldn't really decide on what though.  But my sister was the one who really made me re-evaluate my life.  She came up to me one day and said "Why don't you be a plastic surgeon?"  Now she was being sarcastic, but that one comment made me start re-evaluating my situation that I'm in.  And I began thinking of my future, and traced back to my ambition to becoming a physician.  Now my grades weren't so hot, but I feel like medicine is what I want to do.  I guess my reason for just going for it now, is because since I'm 20 years old already, I'd be around 33 or 34 years old at the start of my career.  And the longer I wait, the longer it will take for me to get there.
I didn't know that a hospital would pay for my schooling though...so that's some good news finally.  This is a tough decision, I just don't want to make the wrong one.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »
I don't feel that moving on and making a decision to start school of any sort would be a wrong decision!  You are doing the right thing!!  I wish you the best!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
Thank you very much anxiouskathie for your help.
It's actually motivated me somewhat more since someone thinks that my decision is a good one...thank you!   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline fallen angel

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • open minded and a great listener! :)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:43:45 AM »
I feel like im going through a very similar thing! I recently started going to a technical college to get my associates in science degree that is transferable to many four year colleges. The nice thing about doing this is it gives me time to really decide what I want to pursue while still getting college credits that will count towards whatever I want to major in when I transfer. Basically its getting all my core classes out of the way and it's a lot cheaper than starting at a four year. I highly recommend it! The only thing is that you should have an idea of some four year universities that you may be interested in to make sure that your credits will transfer. Believe it or not ive found that my school work has helped me with some of my anxiety issues because I'm focusing my energy on something positive.  Sure, its an added stress but it helps take my mind off some of my biggest triggers!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: