Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Am I Back on the Depression Wagon?  (Read 507 times)

Offline itsgot2bme82

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Am I Back on the Depression Wagon?
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »
It's been years since I've dealt with a serious depressive episode, but I'm concerned that one is coming on. Or that I'm in denial and in the midst of one currently. Some reasons I think it may be coming on:
1.  I've been a dog groomer for 5 years and have absolutely adored it. Due to an old back injury acting up and I had to scale back my work and I'm finding I hardly enjoy it at all anymore. I have to remind myself that I enjoy my work and push through it. I could just be burnt out, but because of how difficult and unenjoyable it was I left the field completely recently.

2. I've recently realized that I have few close friends (social anxiety being to blame plus lots of trust issues), but instead of saying to myself, alright we can fix that. I seem to be obsessed with the idea that I must just be a horrible friend, that no one wants to be around me, I suck at social interactions etc. Extremely self defeatist internal dialogue that is very out of the norm for me.

And of course I get that whole fun bouts of crying for no understandable reason. Oh those are so fun. Especially in a newer romantic relationship. *sigh*

So yeah, the more I write this the more convinced I am that I'm struggling with some depression, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm incredibly med sensitive and so far no medications have worked for me. I have pretty crappy insurance so I'm not sure if I could even get coverage for a counselor. I have started exercising recently and that seems to be helping. But what else can I do to help myself that I don't need to have insurance for? What's worked for you?

Thank you so much for any advice or thoughts you might have. <3
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Am I Back on the Depression Wagon?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »
For me it's been eating well (avoid processed food), exercising (as you note) including yoga, walking, the gym, dedication to meditation, and the big one, CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), a reconditioning of our thinking. Books and journaling are enough for me. You can read up on it on the web and perhaps look for books in your library.

Of course work is all important so you'll need to explore how to jump start your work life or rediscover the joy in the work you did. The social aspect will resolve itself as you feel better about yourself. It's a grand adventure to take charge of ourself. You've come to a good place, others are likely to join in to support you. Wishing you the very best.

PS.  If you go to Amazon and search for CBT there are several books listed. You may find one that appeals to you. The book that did the most for me is the Sam Obitz book, Been There, Done That? Do this, which helped me but not others. Maybe your library has the CBT for Dummies book. They often are a good start. Just some ideas.
Bookmark and Share

Offline candice

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
It's been years since I've dealt with a serious depressive episode, but I'm concerned that one is coming on. Or that I'm in denial and in the midst of one currently. Some reasons I think it may be coming on:
1.  I've been a dog groomer for 5 years and have absolutely adored it. Due to an old back injury acting up and I had to scale back my work and I'm finding I hardly enjoy it at all anymore. I have to remind myself that I enjoy my work and push through it. I could just be burnt out, but because of how difficult and unenjoyable it was I left the field completely recently.

2. I've recently realized that I have few close friends (social anxiety being to blame plus lots of trust issues), but instead of saying to myself, alright we can fix that. I seem to be obsessed with the idea that I must just be a horrible friend, that no one wants to be around me, I suck at social interactions etc. Extremely self defeatist internal dialogue that is very out of the norm for me.

And of course I get that whole fun bouts of crying for no understandable reason. Oh those are so fun. Especially in a newer romantic relationship. *sigh*

So yeah, the more I write this the more convinced I am that I'm struggling with some depression, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm incredibly med sensitive and so far no medications have worked for me. I have pretty crappy insurance so I'm not sure if I could even get coverage for a counselor. I have started exercising recently and that seems to be helping. But what else can I do to help myself that I don't need to have insurance for? What's worked for you?

I tend to start getting depressed with every job that I've had after the 4th year.  It happens every time.  I don't have insurance either but... I contacted a local university's psychology department.  They have programs where they use their grad students to counsel people for cheap.  I just got in the program.  I had an evaluation so far and am waiting on my first session.
Bookmark and Share

Offline satrap

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
It's been years since I've dealt with a serious depressive episode, but I'm concerned that one is coming on. .....I have started exercising recently and that seems to be helping. But what else can I do to help myself that I don't need to have insurance for? What's worked for you?

It sounds like you're in the midst of a depressive episode, certainly.  So am I.  I'm already on meds which have worked absolutely wonderfully over the past few years, but there's only so much meds can do, so don't despair about that.  What I would do, and am doing, is to find a couple of books on cognitive behavioral therapy, read them a couple of times each and REALLY work to implement their advice.  You need a plan of action. 

One thing that you said which is very important is that exercise helps.  Right now, I'm in the phase where exercise is difficult to want to even do......
Bookmark and Share

Tags: