Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP  (Read 816 times)

Offline Mjmx94

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
Hello, I am a 19 yr old male and I suffer from Health Anxiety, i know that. But somehow I am so scared that I have some sort of cancer or neuro disease. I am 5 ft 7 and 160 lbs. and very athletic. I have been experiencing some very weird symptoms that I have never had in all my years of suffering anxiety. I have been to the ER countless times recently checking my heart, which came back fine on EKG's and X-Rays, and have also been to my Dr. numerous times explaining my symptoms just to be told im crazy and im fine and i just want some answers. So I scheduled an appointment with a local Neuro and just went for the first visit last week. I explained all my symptoms to him (which was a page and a half) and did all the strength/weakness tests etc. and he didnt feel or see any weakness... I am waiting to go for my MRI's and EMG but in the mean time i will explain my symptoms and hopefully someone else is maybe experiencing the same thing... I have been worried sick lately that i have MS, ALS, Cancer etc.... I will try not to leave any symptoms out!

Symptoms
-First started with burning, tingling, weakness on left side only and still left side
-Leg weakness
-Extreme Fatigue
-Eye Disturbances/Double Vision (BIG ONE that's bothering me, i have been to the eye doc as well and im seeing 20/20 its so frustrating)
-Muscle Twitches
-Full Left side weakness and strange sensations
-Some throat difficulties
-Ear Blockages
-Depression
-Vibrating/Electric Shock feelings in left side
-Pins and needles feeling in left side
-Loss of feeling in left side (or at least feels like it)
-Feeling like im losing peripheral vision
-Deep Bone Aches (mostly feet, hands, and joints)
-Dizziness/Lightheadedness feeling
-Muscle Jerks/Twitches
 And probably many more that i cannot think of ATM, I am not myself anymore and i hate it i feel like my left side and my vision is giving out on me but everyone says it's my anxiety causing all of this which i still dont believe is possible. I think about it constantly and its driving me crazy, seriously. Please anyone who has answers or is experiencing any of this please reply thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
Hi, wondering if you ever got any answers to your symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
You don't have ALS, MS, or cancer.

Please read my other posts about this.

Literally not one symptom is consistent with ALS/cancer.

MS I don't know a great deal about or I'd tell you the same.

Edit: This post reeks of anxiety. I can't even tell you how utterly convinced I am that all of it is anxiety. I can address each symptom individually and, at the very least, tell you why you positively, absolutely, do no have ALS or cancer (or MS, but I'll leave that to someone better equipped to field MS).
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
If your neuro exam checked out, you can take A** off the table.  19 yo with anxiety with these kinds of symptoms is almost always anxiety related.  When you feel like this, slow down your breathing....8 seconds in 8 seconds out.  Look up chronic hyperventilation syndrome.  You say you have "weakness" yet your neuro says different so that's not a reality.  You have perceived weakness, "jelly legs" not clinical weakness and that's likely from anxiety.  Nomnom has written some excellent posts on this subject.  I have written much about it as well.  Do a search through our old posts.  As for MS, I believe this to also be unlikely but your MRI of the head will tell you much.  Do I believe you have MS, absolutely not.  But, I will say this for your and other benefits that most people with MS live long healthy lives.  The treatments for MS are light years ahead of where they were.  Not that this has anything to do with anyone here but I also say this for the benefit of neurophobes.  There is even a VERY promising treatment in trials for A**.  It's actually reversing damage and people with significant deficits are not only not getting worse but regaining function...not just a few but MOST!  Exciting stuff.  So, brother go through what you need to go through medically and get an all clear.  But, realize the real disease you have and deal with that...it's anxiety.  Go get some therapy and begin working on that or this will steal your life.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:04:47 AM »
Are you referring to the trial that ALSExpress is in? I read a few of her blogs a while back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Are you referring to the trial that ALSExpress is in? I read a few of her blogs a while back.

I believe so, don't know the name but read a woman's blog.  Probably the same thing.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Hey guys thanks for your replies. Not sure this guy is even on here anymore as this post was over a yr old. I was just curious if he had any answers bc I have been having a lot of the same symptoms. I have my story on here, if you would take the time to read and give me your thoughts. I am currently undiagnosed with anything other than anxiety. I will try to find my link for you to read.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:03:45 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I think you warrant a work up but there are a few things about your story that lead me away from anything bad.  First you are a young female.  Nothing you said makes me think a**.  I would totally get that out of your head.  I try to be real with people on here and let them know when their concerns are warranted.  In my opinion your age, sex, and diversity of symptoms coupled with an anxiety disorder truly point towards a somatization disorder.  MS doesn't generally look like what you are experiencing.  It's almost like you got hit with a sledge hammer of multisystem problems that have little to no (on the surface) connection to each other.  While I don't think you have MS, it can't be taken off the table without a clean MRI.  You are going to need that for peace of mind.  IMO, I would skip the EMG as I see nothing in your story to indicate need.  That would change if you had a problematic neuro exam.

I would get a thorough work up as indicated by your physicians.  Then when you are cleared I would go see a therapist.  It's going to be tough to convince yourself that you are healthy.  I know because I deal with the same kinds of stuff you deal with when I am really anxious.  I have had so many odd symptoms and despite my training could never figure out what was wrong with me until I accepted that I have an anxiety disorder which manifests itself in physical symptoms.  When you feel these symptoms slow down your breathing...deep breaths in and out 8 seconds in 8 seconds out.  Do some meditation, yoga, get out of the house, walk in the woods, pray, go to church, see a therapist, play with a dog, help someone else...anything but getting on google, playing doctor and staying in your head.  It took you time to dig this hole, so it will take time to dig you out.  Be patient with yourself and tell yourself that you are healthy.  But, I promise if you do the work on dealing with anxiety you will feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Just seen the rest of your posts where you had a normal MRI and neuro exam.  While nothing is 100% this puts you in that 99.9% category that this isn't a neurological condition.  This is great news!  Time to move on and work on this anxiety, ok?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Cass, I've had every symptom you've listed, just not all at once. I've been told I have conversion disorder. After a year and a half of these symptoms, if it were anything horrible, you'd have very real deficits. Which you do not. If you expect this to get any better, you must let go of the fears attached to it. With the very slow passage of my ALS fear even my twitching is down remarkably. I still have periods when my legs flip out on me, but I'm pretty confident that the twitching will stop eventually. Believe you're healthy and you'll quickly notice becoming healthy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Just seen the rest of your posts where you had a normal MRI and neuro exam.  While nothing is 100% this puts you in that 99.9% category that this isn't a neurological condition.  This is great news!  Time to move on and work on this anxiety, ok?

Shawn,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have had 3 mris actually. Brain, Cspine and about a month ago I had another brain MRI which showed no changes since the first one I had 2 yrs ago. My dr and neuro said "normal" but there was one "unremarkable" non specific spot. They were not concerned and said this one spot is not causing my symptoms. What do you know about "lesions" ? I can't seem to put it out of my mind that its there and will get worse or something. I have been trying to let it go and convince myself that it is all anxiety but am having a hard time. I have been having panic attacks more frequently and have to talk myself out of going to the hospital. It eventually passes. But in between panic attacks.. I still feel weakness on my right side. Still have what I think is globus..throat feels right all the time and sometimes I have a hard time swallowing, sometimes feels like good is getting stuck because it's tight.

I have been trying to deal with anxiety without medication. Exercise, eating right, Pilates..deep breathing. Stretching. I feel if the symptoms were gone, anxiety would be gone as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Cass, I've had every symptom you've listed, just not all at once. I've been told I have conversion disorder. After a year and a half of these symptoms, if it were anything horrible, you'd have very real deficits. Which you do not. If you expect this to get any better, you must let go of the fears attached to it. With the very slow passage of my ALS fear even my twitching is down remarkably. I still have periods when my legs flip out on me, but I'm pretty confident that the twitching will stop eventually. Believe you're healthy and you'll quickly notice becoming healthy.

Thanks so much for answering.
I know that I have anxiety, but sometimes feel like anxiety is being caused by an illness. It helps when you said if it were something really bad, I would have some major deficits by now, which I do not. But with MS, I thought it was characteristic of symptoms to come and go...while mine don't ever really all go away. Sometimes they get better, buy not completely gone.
Do you just suffer with twitching? Or do you have other symptoms?

Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

Shawn,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have had 3 mris actually. Brain, Cspine and about a month ago I had another brain MRI which showed no changes since the first one I had 2 yrs ago. My dr and neuro said "normal" but there was one "unremarkable" non specific spot. They were not concerned and said this one spot is not causing my symptoms. What do you know about "lesions" ? I can't seem to put it out of my mind that its there and will get worse or something. I have been trying to let it go and convince myself that it is all anxiety but am having a hard time. I have been having panic attacks more frequently and have to talk myself out of going to the hospital. It eventually passes. But in between panic attacks.. I still feel weakness on my right side. Still have what I think is globus..throat feels right all the time and sometimes I have a hard time swallowing, sometimes feels like good is getting stuck because it's tight.

I have been trying to deal with anxiety without medication. Exercise, eating right, Pilates..deep breathing. Stretching. I feel if the symptoms were gone, anxiety would be gone as well.

With the significant symptoms you are having, you would have more than one nonspecific lesion.  If I scan 100 heads I would probably find 40 or more with nonspecific findings.  Our brains are all made different.  We walk around with these lesions, cysts, vessel malformations etc. and never know they are there. 

As for your logic about anxiety and symptoms...you have it backwards.  If you deal with the anxiety, the symptoms will resolve.  You will continue to suffer symptoms until you accept that you are ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »

Shawn,

With the significant symptoms you are having, you would have more than one nonspecific lesion.  If I scan 100 heads I would probably find 40 or more with nonspecific findings.  Our brains are all made different.  We walk around with these lesions, cysts, vessel malformations etc. and never know they are there. 

As for your logic about anxiety and symptoms...you have it backwards.  If you deal with the anxiety, the symptoms will resolve.  You will continue to suffer symptoms until you accept that you are ok.

Well that's comforting to hear about the scans. Are you in the medical field?
Bookmark and Share