Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Relapsing into ALS fears  (Read 442 times)

Offline privilegedwhitekid

• Rec's: 0
  • Certified Google PhD
    • Poke This Member
Relapsing into ALS fears
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
I've had widespread twitching for about a few months now with no other real symptoms. My twitches are mostly random. I'll get a twitch in my arm and then I'll get one in my leg, back, etc. But I do get more twitches in my left arm/hand than I do in any other location and it's really starting to freak me out again. I was just working on some assignments for school when the top of my hand, specifically the muscle between my index finger and thumb began twitching. Seems to have subsided for now, but I can't focus on my work because I'm sitting here self-examining and being paranoid! What's also concerning is the fairly recent development of an occasional pulling sensation in my left forearm. It's almost like the muscle is contracting by itself. It feels tight when it happens, but it only lasts for like a second. I know it's twitching related because a lot of times it causes my hand or arm to jerk. I do get twitches in my right arm too but nothing like this, and I can only remember one instance where I got the twitch between my right thumb and index finger. Sometimes my left index finger twitches and just rocks side-to-side for a while, although I haven't gotten this specific twitch in a couple weeks. Ahhh I'm twitching like mad right now. Does anyone else have this constantly? How long have you had it for? Are you dead yet?

I apologize if this post sounds like disorganized rambling but I'm so anxious I can't barely string my thoughts together in a coherent manner.
Bookmark and Share

Offline moocow01

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Relapsing into ALS fears
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:30:20 AM »
I have seen ALS progress in a family member and unfortunately know a lot about the disease. 

You dont have ALS.

1) ALS starts out localized - a foot, an arm, etc. - not body wide
2) Twitching does not occur first despite what you may read.  The twitching results after the "dying" of a muscle.  You will have extreme non-functional clinical weakness before twitching - in other words twitching will be the last of your worries.

You likely "have" something the docs call BFS - lots of people have it (arguably even all people could "have it") and its benign and it is made much worse by anxiety/stress (I get this as well).  Its simply a fancy way of describing random benign muscle twitching and absolutely not indicative of anything else wrong.  Likely when your worries fade away, the twitching will reduce as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:30 AM »
One of my friend's mums has ALS and Moocow is right - it definitely doesn't start with twitching :)

How old are you?

From what I understand it's a very rare disease, and it's INCREDIBLY rare to get this before you hit middle age.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
I have had all of the symptoms you've described and more. The other day my right thumb was moving back and forth for 2 days. I have had twitching almost everywhere. Widespread twitching is not indicative of Als. Als starts with weakness one limb at a time, not randomly on your body.

I've been twitching for a year now with no weakness or Als. You don't have Als!
Bookmark and Share

• Certified Google PhD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I'm a bit relieved. I'm not so concerned about the widespread twitches as much as I am about this one in my hand. Someone on here a while back mentioned that ALS twitches are often small, localized and can't be felt. This is exactly the kind of twitch I'm experiencing in my left hand, in the first dorsal interosseous to be precise. I don't always feel it and sometimes I can't even see it (can only be felt by taking my right thumb and pressing it into the muscle, self examining is bad I know I know). I was doing alright today until it came back a few minutes ago. Kinda happens on and off but for some reason this twitch scares me more than the others. Also, I'm 19, about to turn 20 in July.

I have a neuro appointment tomorrow that I made a while back and I'm absolutely petrified with fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »
I'm sure you're fine :) ALS causes significantly more noticeable issues than a slight twitch in your hand and its progressive. That means when you get a symptom it doesn't come and go, it gets worse to the point you really can't mistake that something is wrong.

I understand the twitching comes quite late in the disease after the muscles have started to weaken, so as much as I am against self testing I think this might help you... If you can go to your book case and grab the heaviest book you can see, like an encyclopaedia or something and then hold it by the spine with your fingers, not using your palm and hold it for even a few seconds then your muscles are doing fine. :) of course how long you can hold it for depends on how large a book you have chosen, but if it doesn't slip straight through to the floor every time you try, you're most likely ok. :)

Sometimes your hand can twitch if you hold it a certain way and the nerves get trapped on their way down your arm, or if you've been holding it in the same position for a while (like playing console games).

Good luck at the neuro, let us know how you go :)

But...most important of all... STAY OFF GOOGLE! :) of course I'm assuming, but the fact you know the medical term for where you're experiencing the twitching tells me less research into this will probably give you more peace of mind :)
Bookmark and Share

• Certified Google PhD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Sorry for bumping an old thread, I meant to reply sooner but I got caught up with school/life.

The visit went well for the most part. He had a great bedside manner, very friendly and reassuring. He did answer his phone like literally 3 times while I was with him but I was willing to let it slide because of his friendly disposition along with the fact that he has 23 years of experience, and presumably knows his stuff. He was very compassionate and patient and answered all my questions. He said a lot of what has been repeated on here: ALS doesn't typically present with twitches, that ALS twitches are a result of the muscle being separated from the nerve.

He assured me if this was ALS I would have lost function by now. He told me he only sees maybe 1 or 2 ALS patients each year, and that in his 23 years of being a neurologist, the youngest ALS patient he had ever seen was in his 40's, with the vast majority of them being in their 60's and 70's. He did strength tests, reflex tests, etc. All normal, of course. I thought the reflexes in my left knee were brisker than my right, which sent me into panic mode for a little while after the appointment, where I was constantly checking them before I began thinking rationally and decided, "who am I to say someone who specializes in neurological disorders doesn't know what normal reflexes look like!?" So the reflex thing is behind me.

One thing he said did make me raise an eyebrow though: he told me anxiety, while it can worsen twitching, doesn't cause it. That was a complete contradiction to everything I have heard on here and other similar websites. Either way, I figured this guy knew what ALS looked like, and could tell me I didn't have it.

I have been twitching quite a bit since the appointment, seemingly moreso, but I'm trying to maintain the confidence that these hotspots (which have now moved to my right bicep) will eventually pick a new location just like the rest of them have.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: