Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Any tips for travelling overseas?  (Read 297 times)

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
Any tips for travelling overseas?
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:06:30 AM »
Tips for the plane ride as well as the entire trip?
The main symptoms I'm worried about are my almost constant dizziness and also DR/DP & existential thoughts.
I'm going go 12 days and can't talk to my family about it because they don't believe in anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any tips for travelling overseas?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
After 10 yrs indoors, the first thing I done when I went back outside the house, was visit Scotland. Massive step for me. But I knew if I was to do it, I had to do it alone. I had an offer of someone come over here and travel back to Scotland with me. It was 19 hours of travel in all. So I had to keep myself busy. Music in my ears. Crosswords to do. Reading. Just basic things to do. I had medication on hand too. I think I was surprised that I had no anxiety at all. Just find yourself plenty to do. Keep that mind busy. So you have no time to think. Play a few games. Be it cards or whatever.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline doogle

• Rec's: 8
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
Try to focus on the positives of the trip, the things you will enjoy, the things to look forward to, the reasons you agreed to go in the first place, those reasons may seem like they have disappeared but it is only FEAR that has hidden them from view.

Tell yourself you will NOT be a victim to these fears, you are capable of standing on your own two feet, etc., etc. Then write all these positives down in a notebook, laptop, smartphone, piece of paper in your purse, etc. and take them with you and keep them to hand.

I used to have a piece of paper in my wallet that had at the top "You will get through, you always do. You always have, you always will, you can handle this" and then below it was a list of reasons why I wanted to do whatever it was I wanted to do. and some positives that went with it. As soon as I started getting anxious and worked up I would recall the phrase in my mind and try to recall the positives and the reasons, etc. If I struggled to remember them because FEAR got in the way then I would dig out the piece of paper. Doing that helped quell the anxiety and got me through, it sort of counter-balanced all the negativity. Having just the little phrase "You will get through, you always do" helped enormously, and every time I got through something it re-enforced my belief in myself and the phrase - so the phrase got more and more powerful (I hope that makes sense).

Then if all else fails do as Cuchculan says have something available that will distract your worried mind & keep it occupied - Music, crosswords, books, conversation, breathing exercises, etc.

And remember, just like EVERYTHING else you got through up until today, you will get through this too, no matter what happens, you'll live to tell the tale.

Best wishes, hope it helps.     
Bookmark and Share
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears -  Michel de Montaigne

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:21:37 PM »
Thankyou both of you,
Great, helpful answers :) will decintly try all those thing.
Im sure this sounds like reasurrance seeking, but do you think that by my description that my symptoms fit anxiety?
Even though the doctors have ruled out anything physical, my dizziness, as well as the dp/dr makes me think otherwise.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
Sounds like typical anxiety symptoms to me. Had it all before myself. The more I accepted the anxiety the less severe it seemed to be. When we don't accept it, we spend our time with a kind of mind versus body fight going on all the time. By accepting it is just anxiety it does kind of ease the mind. Because people can learn to cope with anxiety and live full lives.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline doogle

• Rec's: 8
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
Yep - definately anxiety. The dizziness and dp/dr were my main symptoms, hated it - didn't know what was wrong or where to turn. 

The main symptom of anxiety is DOUBT and you are definately showing signs of doubt (doubt about this trip, doubt about whether you'll cope, doubt about whether you've even got anxiety, etc), now their is no real antidote to doubt, because there is ALWAYS the POSSIBILTY that something MIGHT happen, MIGHT not be true, etc. and so you can never really rule the POSSIBILTY out, and so the mind festers.

So what you have got to work on is Probablity. For me probablity is a far better tool to work with than possibilty, because probablity eases my mind.

Take flying for instance, now I don't want to worry you further but, as you PROBABLY know there is a chance that the plane you're getting on will drop out of the sky. Now no-one can rule that out but if we weigh up the probability its about a 19 million to one chance and you are around 100 times more likely to die in the car going to the airport than you are on the plane, so you've really got nothing to worry about.

Now as for the dp/dr symptoms I used to worry that they would hold me back whilst gettting on the plane or whilst on the holiday, etc. but then I would ask myself well what is the probability? The answer to that was I'll probably have an episode (or two  :dazed:), but ultimately I'll cope I'll be Ok, "I will come through, i always do" (one way or another  :laugh3: ) and do you know what my doubting mind couldn't argue with that because the facts were I did/have always come through even though it got a bit rocky sometimes.

Now there is a possibilty  :P you won't (come through) but the PROBABILITY is you WILL :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:.

Hope it helps.
Bookmark and Share
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears -  Michel de Montaigne

Offline kaye25

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
hi! where are you going? im also worried about travelling/working abroad because i have anxiety attack for 1 wk few months back. and im afraid it will come back again. nwei where on the same boat. my mom doesnt belive in anxiety. thats its all in the mind. although she knows that we have family members who suffers in this kind of disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: