Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anyone ever tried meditation/mindfulness?  (Read 13536 times)

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone ever tried meditation/mindfulness?
« Reply #300 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
I actually agree with you - to a point, I don't particularly agree that there is a God as such, sat on his cloud, etc. - but surely we shouldn't let a word bind us in any way either.

The point for me was more about the miracles all around us that we neglect to appreciate and upon reading that quote it reminded me of that so very well. I simply cut and pasted the quotation in it's entirety and didn't get stuck on the "G" word.

Perhaps this works better for you:

If you want proof that there is wonder in the world - don't ask “Show me a miracle” in order for it to reveal itself - instead ask yourself “What here is not here by miracle” and the miracles will show themselves. That tree, that dog, that child, me, you, this planet - how did it get here, what did it take to get it here, who/what put it here, what keeps it here? - investigate that and you will see your miracle - Author Unknown   

But has the quote now been corrupted to suit our prejudices?
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Unfortunately even the word "miracle" sets me off. In truth, I come from such a dark place. In me lives a slice of history that no-one can ever comprehend. Never wanted to be born. The book I referred to reads under Be Who You Are, "You won the lottery, you were born. You won the lottery, you are you." Did the innocent suffering children in Sudan, in refugee camps in Turkey, Jordan, etc. win the lottery?

But, doogle, there is great beauty in the world. I see the gorgeous blue sky, white clouds, feel the sun and air, exult in the trees, bushes, birds, etc. and I marvel. How about sitting under a tree (or imagining it) and reaching inside with meditation? Yes, it will be under a tree today with Buddha besides me. I may even cry, as I do sometimes, and that's OK.

Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” –Viktor Frankl

Viktor Frankl certainly didn't win the lottery either, but you are right we are drifting away from what I hope this thread is about and that is that Mindfulness and Mediation can help anxiety sufferers get some much needed relief.

Long live the thread and not our personal views on miracles, religion, etc., etc.

Hope it helped someone  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
Yes, Victor Frankl. Goes through the worst, spirit survives and he writes Man's Search for Meaning. Some people search for it in meditation and that's fine too.

I'm content if I can find peace and calm and hope and confidence and strength. And, yes, your goodwill always helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »
Too bad I'm not a research scientist because in my experience meditation can bring phenomenal results not just for anxiety, but for so much more. So here is more of Buddha in Blue Jeans.

"The object of your love doesn't matter. You are love."
Bookmark and Share

Offline melbee

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
I practice meditation everyday and I can say it helps me. I don't know. You have to keep to it and not get discourage if you can't keep concentrated for a long time. At first i got frustrated because I did not liked staying in place for a long period of time but after a while I got used to it and I started getting benefits from it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
Well you've mentioned the book a few times now - so i thought I'd check it out. Went to Amazon and guess what if you have a kindle (which I have) it's FREE to download.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddha-Blue-Jeans-Extremely-Sitting-ebook/dp/B005ZZ2T2C/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1388940100&sr=8-1&keywords=buddha+in+blue+jeans

Great - I've now got it, and will be checking it out soon  :action-smiley-065: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #307 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
Yes, that's it. How nice. It should be free because it is hardly a "book" in the conventional sense. But I don't mind paying for it. It is wonderful and I need the pages in my hand. Hope you enjoy it. Maybe find some quotes to share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Rec's: 34
  • Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »
I actually agree with you - to a point, I don't particularly agree that there is a God as such, sat on his cloud, etc. - but surely we shouldn't let a word bind us in any way either.

The point for me was more about the miracles all around us that we neglect to appreciate and upon reading that quote it reminded me of that so very well. I simply cut and pasted the quotation in it's entirety and didn't get stuck on the "G" word.

God himself culminates in the present moment, and will never be more divine in the lapse of all the ages.
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden: or, Life in the Woods
Bookmark and Share
You can't calm the waves, but you can learn to surf!

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
Whaaaat?? Are my eyes deceiving me? How are you? As doogle says, "Long live the thread."

Dare I ask, "Are you still meditating, or praying?"
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »
No judgment, of course.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2014, 05:15:28 AM »
Of course :)

I just came on to reply to a PM someone sent me so I thought I would drop by the GAD forum and lo and behold this thread is still alive. I couldn't resist Thoreau's quote when I saw you guys talking about god.

I hope you all are well.
Alex
Bookmark and Share

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2014, 05:41:06 AM »
Hey Cheesus - I'm fine thanks, funnily enough I was perusing the thread from the beginning last week, stumbled across you and wondered how you were.

Hope you are well too, take good care - and stop mentioning Tina's "G" spot   :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: (hahaa - hope no one is offended)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »
It's OK, maybe we can start chanting Ooooom, Ooooom, etc.

What happened to Buddhism, A? I'm so deep in it may get a toga and join up with the Dalai Lama.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
I thought it was the greeks who wore togas? Aren't they white? You might stand out a bit hanging out with the DL :p

Doogle, I'm good thanks. Been doing v. well with my anxiety issues and have now managed to dig deeper and started healing other psychological misgivings that are perhaps at the root of great deal of my recurrent discontent (and maybe even my M.E.) (EDIT: Also, Doogle... LOL!)

Something I wanted to share in this thread, actually, is my recent experiences with mindfulness and suffering. Often when mindfulness is begun, people see it as a means to outsmart suffering. The though is 'oh if I am in the present moment, then I will not suffer because suffering happens when I am in the future or past'. This is true to an extent. Particularly when the suffering is superficial (and by superficial I don't mean not real, rather I mean at the surface).

However, when the suffering is bone deep as it is with probably everyone who finds their way to this forum, it is not so simple. It is impossible to outsmart suffering. You cannot remove yourself from it. 'Observing it' is often misinterpreted by the beginner - or even those who have been practicing a long while - to mean that they distance themselves from it and dissociate from it. I made this mistake time and time again in my own practice. I thought if I force myself into the present or put my experience in a box then it would naturally solve itself. Leaving this mindset has been a long, drawn out process.

To possess this mindset completely misses a really essential part of mindfulness. I now avoid at all costs the idea of 'letting go' or 'observing'. Instead, I have learned to think about it in terms of sitting with my experience. If my experience is painful, then I must be with it. I must offer it my support. I do not get involved, but nor do I resist it. If I am with a crying child, I do not resists its tears and nor do I encourage them. I sit with the child and offer it my presence and my love. Jack Kornfield elucidates this concept beautifully in his book A Path With Heart. I have just broken up with my girlfriend which is extremely painful. What I must do now is to be with that pain; to offer myself and the experience kindness and compassion; to acknowledge at a very deep level that I am suffering, but that it is okay to suffer.

The reason I bring this up now is that I have just finished talking about this with my therapist. He is a trained mindfulness teacher in addition to being a therapist, and he grounds his psychotherapy practice either directly or indirectly in mindfulness. We were discussing how often he sees people attempt to skip over their suffering. When we are wrought with turmoil, mindfulness must encourage us to be with that turmoil, to investigate it. Only by doing this do we actually learn, and only by doing this are captive energies truly released. Often this can be a very difficult or even traumatic experience, and is a long way from the contemporary concept of mindfulness as a means to gain calmness and clarity. To paraphrase a quote in A Path With Heart: 'if you haven't cried during meditation, you haven't really started meditating'.

Anyway, I just wanted to discuss it because I feel like when mindfulness is approached form a place of deep suffering people see it as a means to end that suffering. I noted to someone on a mindfulness forum the other day that to address their anxiety via mindfulness they must sit with their suffering, and they took this to mean that it was a bad idea and would make them worse. This is not so. Mindfulness is a means to offer your suffering compassion, love, acceptance, understanding and presence. Do not put it at arm's length. Sit with it.

I see so much suffering on this website. It is so saddening.

THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
Bookmark and Share

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety