Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Possible buise that left a permanent mark? [With picture]  (Read 1088 times)

Offline jenkyleg

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Possible buise that left a permanent mark? [With picture]
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
So, after last week's normal blood test and vitamin D supplement prescription, I've felt pretty good. It might be the massive dose of D2, but my mood has increased and I've been generally less prone to depression, sleepiness, and health anxiety. But! It's still there, a little. I had my doctor take a look at my lymph nodes. "Shotty nodes," he said. Phew. Then I had him look at the bony protrusion under my kneecap. "Bursitis of the patellar tendon," he said. Double phew.

But then today, I realized I forgot to ask him something, and that made me uneasy. For the past few months (at least four or five), I've had a patch of skin on my arm that feels a little rougher than the rest, itches slightly from time to time, gets dry skin, and is discolored enough to see in the mirror as a brown splotch (I'll provide a picture below). It doesn't really bother me a TON, although I've tried not to Google it very much so as not to freak out.

I believe this could be the spot of an old bruise...I tend to get big, bad ones my arms. But would a nasty bruise leave a mark like this? And what's with my hair follicles? They look permanently enlarged. It's bizarre. I've thought maybe it could be keratosis pilaris...but it doesn't really seem consistent with what I've seen before. Thoughts?

Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
Re: Possible buise that left a permanent mark? [With picture]
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:45:43 AM »
If you make the picture larger, you'll see that the area has a weird raised pattern on the skin. Sorry for bumping this thread, I'm just curious if ANYONE has any insight or has ever experienced something similar. This concerns me enough that I kind of want to have another doctor's visit...but I'm not entirely sure. I guess it isn't skin cancer, it doesn't really bear any of those characteristics. But could it be something sinister that I haven't thought of? Or something to do with...ugh. I'm really grasping for straws here, aren't I? I guess that's a classic sign of health anxiety. But I keep hearing over and over that bruises or weird marks shouldn't stick around for months, and mine has, so that worries me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
Re: Possible buise that left a permanent mark? [With picture] UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Hey guys. In short, the shadow/mark is still there, and now I think it's changed since April. Check out the two red dots that have appeared in/near the patch of skin.

I am freaking the hell out...I'm sure this is melanoma and I've let it go on for almost a year. PLEASE  talk me down here. Can ANYONE relate? I know I need to get to a dermatologist to get it looked at but in the meantime can someone help me think rationally?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
I can't see your second pic but as you say it's raised and dry and itchy it sounds like psoriasis. My boyfriend gets these patches too they look like this and  no big deal. Show a pharmacist at the chemist and they'll give you some cream.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:09:42 AM »
Back in April you said it had been there for months and you forgot to ask the doc about it and now its December and you still haven't gone back to the doc?  How worried about it are you really?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Worried enough to freak out. I haven't been to the doctor because of insurance issues. I'm going soon, I think.
No idea what this is but I'm assuming something bad, like always.

Side note: can you guys see the last post's picture?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
Another question: if this was melanoma, wouldn't it have gotten darker or changed SIGNIFICANTLY since last April? Sorry for bumping...just still worried here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RobynJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
Hi, didn't want to read and run! I don't really know much about skin cancer/ melonoma (I don't want to google either otherwise I'll start freaking out!) but I'm sure it's just your anxiety making it seem worse than it is. If you keep staring at it etc you will start to see changes that hadn't noticed before. I'd get an appointment with a doctor for reassurance but I really don't think it looks like anything serious.

Robyn.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
Thanks Robyn. I'm starting a new job with decent insurance next week so hopefully I can see someone. In the meantime, I guess the lack of interest in this thread is good, since it could mean nobody's really worried about this being cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 04:22:13 AM »
I don't really see what your concerned about? With pp I daren't google it because il get things in my head but it just looks like some mark which you can get at any time. I've got a permanent mark on my leg after a night out I don't know how I did it but it's still there 6 months later. Why don't you try putting moisteriser on if it's dry that can cause itchiness I get it on my hands... But you just need to think how likely is a little mark something super serious? If you generally feel good then just rationalise your thoughts if pretty sure the doctor wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RobynJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:11 AM »
I'm really, really, really sure it isn't cancer! Distraction is key with anxiety, try to find things to keep your mind off it (as impossible as it may seem) and you'll start to feel better. I know it's hard getting things out of your head though when you've really convinced yourself but everyone has odd marks on their skin at one time or another. Breathe. Relax. You'll be fine! :)

Robyn.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
I think the reason I got worried about it was because I read a reddit post wherein a woman had a dry, red spot on her face that ended up being melanoma in situ. Granted, it was only there for a couple weeks before it started changing and itching a ton, but still...I'm afraid that somehow this is some rare, undiagnosed melanoma that isn't "textbook" form or something. Man, I was doing great with my HA until a couple weeks ago. Then it all crashed.

Anyway, thanks for replying. I appreciate it. I suppose I'll go to the doctor when I can.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
I'm afraid that somehow this is some rare, undiagnosed melanoma that isn't "textbook" form or something.

I don't mean to disrespect you in any way, I am in the same HA boat as you, so try to take this the right way. What you wrote here would sounds to me as true as if you had wrote that you were abducted by aliens today. Trust me when I say, one day you will look at this and laugh how irrational it was.

But since you have fears right now, and they are real, go to the doctor as soon as you can to ease your mind, and until then, just try to believe what others are saying, that it's probably nothing serious.

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
I don't know. There's a red "mole" -like spot in the shadowy area. It wasn't there last April. I do know one thing: evolution isn't good. Here's a picture of it: http://imgur.com/KuaP1Bk

It still seems pretty small but...I don't know guys. I am seriously concerned. I would make a dern appointment, but my new insurance won't kick in until next month.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RobynJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »
Have you been rubbing it at all or touching it a lot? That might have caused the spot. I know it's hard to believe what people are telling you when you're really convinced it's something terrible but really it is just irrational thoughts that we all have with HA. I've been getting them recently about a weird bump in my mouth and I convinced myself it was a tumor and basically every doctor & dentist I've seen just aren't recognizing the signs and I'm definitely going to die from it. Where did it all come from? Reading stuff online! Do not google or read anything else about it okay? It won't reassure you as much as you might hope it will. You're going to be okay :)

Robyn
Bookmark and Share

Tags: