Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Intrusive Thoughts need insight  (Read 732 times)

Offline jck524

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Intrusive Thoughts need insight
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:29:11 AM »
So I've been suffering from intrusive thoughts for a while now and it I finally made an appointment to go see a psychiatrist about it because it has made me depressed and brought on a lot of anxiety. It seems to come and go and it is a cycle of intrusive thoughts that lead to depression and the depression makes the intrusive thoughts worse, yall know how the circle goes. Well anyways one thing that really bothers me and makes me depressed about it is that these intrusive thoughts always make me think like what if and ***** and whenever I see another news story of some white kid tripping out and going on a killing spree I get so damn depressed and think omg what happens if they were suffering from the same thing and finally snapped, and now im tripping out because I read about how that james holmes dude was on antidepressents and some people are saying how they can make you go crazy and I am tripping because I may go on anti depressants to help with my depression. Anyone offer any insight? It sickens me so much to think about fuked up ***** and it makes me so depressed, i wouldnt wish this upon anyone. It has made all my confidence gone away and I used to be so confident...it sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Intrusive Thoughts need insight
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
1st off welcome to the forum.  Second... You're not alone, many people including myself get intrusive thoughts.... We just tend to hold on to them more and cycle em more. The fact you're feeling horrible is a good sign... A sign you know your thoughts are just that... Thoughts and you won't act on em. Check out imp of the mind... It's a good read. Pm if ya need.
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline shakymcgee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
Please be assured that anxiety and depression are not the cause of these tragedies. Pippy is right, the fact that you know it would be wrong to act out on your intrusive thoughts, and you do not want to do anything destructive, should reassure you that it is not people like you who hurt other people. The people we see in the media committing these crimes are gravely mentally ill. I'm talking, schizophrenia, antisocial personality, bipolar with psychosis kind of ill. You are not detached from reality. Intrusive thoughts are awful, but they are only thoughts. You'd be surpised to learn how many anxoius mothers have intrusive thoughts about hurting their children, but in reality would never ever harm their child. It's just another way that anxiety grabs onto us and won't let go. The more attention you pay to them, the bigger they will get, and the harder they will be to control. When these thoughts pop into your head, say to yourself "That is irrational. I know that is my anxiety speaking, and I'm letting that thought go." Do it a hundred times a day if you have to. You might not be able to stop those thoughts, but you CAN add other, more positive thoughts to the mix in order to balance them out. I have never heard anything about anti-depressents making people "snap" and act violently towards others, and James Holmes's problems were way more complicated and severe than any anti-depressent could have taken care of. I think that the only medicinal factor that contributed to his actions was the fact that he was UNDERmedicated.
Bookmark and Share
We do not see things as they are. We see things as WE are.

Anais Nin

Offline jck524

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:11 AM »
thanks for the reply guys! Ya its just hard on me because im usually such an outgoing person and love talking with people and I have always done the right things and feel as though I am a really good person and when the intrusive thoughts come it just instantly sickens me and puts me in such a bad mood that I am even dealing with it. Ganna go see a psychiatrist in a week though which I am happy about. I think i have OCD because in the past I always thought i would have a stroke (i know its crazy) and i was only 21 at the time but for some reason I always thought i would just have a stroke or a heart attack and die lol and now that I have gotten over thinking about that  im 24 and I am now dealing with this....and to be honest I would 100000x wish i was dealing with thinking i was going to have a stroke all the time than this because atleast with that i wouldnt get depressed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sweets29

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »
Hi,,I'm new here and I also have been suffering from them stinky thoughts,,,I have had them since I was like 21 I think but now I'm a few years older,,,but I remember when I first got those thoughts,,they just kept coming over and over in my head,,,I hated them,,,thought I was going nuts or something,,lol!!  But now,,,when I get them,,I just know they are just thoughts and I wouldnt ever act out on them and I have gotten better with controlling them :-)  They are still kind of scary to me though but I'm sure that's normal.  So just know that all they are,,are just thoughts and you'll be fine :-)   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: