Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anal cancer fear -23years-old male  (Read 993 times)

Offline Ryan.P

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anal cancer fear -23years-old male
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site, please see if any of this relates to you.
I have a history of constipation and hemorrhoid, though over the past few months, due to my drastic change of diet, I pretty much go once everyday regularly and the hemorrhoid got better.
But since four months ago , I can sense a slight itchy , burning sensation occasionally in my left side butt and  it causes some pressure whenever I sit, like i have something lodged in my butt It's like my anal area got scraped by something, but no blood on the toilet paper.
because of my history of hemorrhoid , I didn't give it a second thought until I  applied some hemorrhoid-P ointment like I used to, when the feelings never went away, I brought it up to my GI and he concluded the same thing but said my hemorrhoid is not quite bad enough to give me all those discomfort, just prescribed me some other cream and see how it goes.
The cream he prescribed didn't work for me though, he recommended that I do a stool sample test which came back normal.
I can actually live with it pretty fine , but because of my hypochondria, I googled it ,(I shouldn't have done, I know...) and read some articles about anal cancer that said some slightest things like itchiness can be a early symptom of anal cancer, especially if the itchiness doesn't go away even after treated.  The part that worried me the most is how all those cases in which patients got misdiagnosed with hemorrhoid, only until the symptoms became noticeable, did they detect the cancer and it's already advanced.
I know for someone my age, the possibility of getting anal cancer is slim to none, and it's actually a rare form of cancer even if for people over age 50. But what I can't get off my mind is the "what if "sentence , like "What if I'm the one who got this desease?"
I keep putting my attention to my butt and thinking the 'cancer' thing. I think it's pretty unhealthy and desperately want to change this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anal cancer fear -23years-old male
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:02 AM »
Like you said the, odds of having anal cancer at 23 are slim to none...that is a true fact.  It is a VERY rare cancer indeed.  The average age of diagnosis is in the early 60s too...and the overall odds of someone in the United States getting it are almost 1 in 50,000.

Now that I got the facts out of the way, I would guess that your symptoms are due to some sort of rash or the hemorrhoids.  With anal cancer you are bloating, change in bowel habits and a lump near the anus.  And the stool sample test came back normal, so I'm going to bet and say you're more than likely okay.

But I always say that internet advice cannot replace a checkup from your doctor, so if you're still concerned about it, go back to the doctor.

Also, Welcome to the forum.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan.P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
Caribou , thanks for replying:)
Actually I developed some IBS symptoms lately, which is why I'm freaking out right now.
Out of fear, I had a colonoscopy done 2months ago. Nothing bad came up except doc said my bowel doesn't function very well and a mild case of internal hemorrhoid. After that I noticed my anus feels weird.
Consider the fact that I've pretty much done every advanced test so I shouldn't worry about anything but I also heard that colonoscopy isn't the best test for anal cancer detection. I also read some articles about how colonoscopy didn't detect their cancer.
I've done rectal exam 4times as well, all of the docs said the same thing.....
I'm at my wits end. I do know the odds are in my favor but as long as my symptoms persist , I feel like I'll never
have peace of mind. Hypochondria sucks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AlaskaMom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
Ryan, I feel like I could have written your post myself. I am having the EXACT problem you are.  I have had hemorrhoids since I was 12.  Lately I've been getting anal itching and I noticed I have small fissures in the skin. I went to the doctor freaking out thinking I had anal cancer. She told me it was pruritus ani and gave me a steriod cream to use. The itching went away, but the fissures were still there and every now and then my tail bone would hurt like I had been sitting on a golf ball. It comes and goes. But I can totally understand how you feel. I made the mistake of Googling too.  I'm sure neither one of us has anal cancer, we just have grumpy butts : )
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan.P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
Hi, Alaskamom I appreciate your replying:)
I'd had bad hemorrhoid before because of my bad
Diet until I changed my diet recently. I think the hemorrhoid
Shrank pretty well since no blood is present on the toilet paper when I had a bowel movement.
But the anal pressure and strange something-is-there feeling worries me a lot ! It's different than the bad hemorrhoid I used to get.
I've tried sitz bath and over counter product none of them could help me.
 I went to plenty of docs but no body could solve my problem.
So this uncertainty of cancer started to haunt me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan.P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
Ok I'm freaking out big time....
It's a little hurt when I tighten my butt up. The pressure is getting worse.
I can definitely feel something inside....
Isn't it weird that hemorrhoid didnt heal even after I applied the ointment?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
I actually had somewhat of the same thing going about a month ago.  I felt like I had to have a bowel movement all the time.  And when I would go to the bathroom, nothing would come out.  There was a sense of pressure in my anus.  I actually had the itching as well, although everything eventually went away.  I was constantly worrying that I had colon cancer...my worrying wasn't helping the symptoms at all.

I actually had some pain shoot from my anus to where my bellybutton is...it was awful.   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan.P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
Caribou ,thanks for replying:)
Did you find your cause?
Mine has been on and off for 4 months now.
I also feel like the pressure would worsen when I'm eating.
if its not hemorrhoid , what can it be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Well mine just ended up going away.  I was told that it was IBS causing the problems.  I also had bad lower abdominal cramping.  Again, I thought that I had colon cancer.

So I attributed my problem to the IBS...which could be your problem.  And since you had a colonoscopy, colon cancer isn't a cause of concern for you.  And since you've had rectal exams as well and they found nothing, then I'm 99.9% sure you don't have anal cancer either.  I know IBS is is such a vague diagnosis, but it's true.

It can cause anal pain, cramping, etc...it's awful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:37:24 AM »
Could be an internal hemorrhoid. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan.P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 03:51:35 AM »
caribou,mollyfin, thanks for the response.
I thought it was IBS too but since my anal pressure wouldn't go away even after my bowel movement somewhat got better.
How can IBS cause anal pain? the pressure is so distracting and awful, and I have occasional flatulence as well.
All of the docs who performed rectal exam on me said that the cause is unlikely the internal hemorrhoid since mine isn't big enough to cause any discomfort.
As I said I have a history of internal hemorrhoid. The hemorrhoid I had didn't cause any pressure just slightly burning sensation and it would go away after I've applyed some over the counter ointment.
I thought of my pelvic area but it's not only the pressure , some itchiness can be felt as well so I ruled it out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
Well I remember when I had anal pain (and I still do from time to time) it was a real sharp intense pain, that would last for only 10 seconds at the most...usually only up to 5 seconds though.  But the pain would should from my anus, and I could almost feel it move to my bellybutton - as I mentioned before.

But IBS can cause a wide variety of symptoms.  A better term would be rectal hypersensitivity, along with the itchiness.  I'm not sure exactly why it causes the pain and itchiness, but it does.  Apparently a lot of people who suffer from IBS have that same pain. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
I didn't know that IBS could cause that!  I've gotten that occasionally and never really wondered about it - pretty much everything in my body hurts at some point or another - but that's interesting. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: