Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition  (Read 5928 times)

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
A strong back is critical to your overall health and well-being. You want to read Dr. John Sarno. Your library probably has him. And look up exercises to strengthen the back. Do them every day. I became aware of my spine when I learned yoga and learned about Pilates. So a grand adventure is just ahead of you.

You'll be the star on surfing runway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
Dang my back is hurting today. It sucks when you have the ambition and discipline to be successful but not the health, but it definitely coud be worse. It could always be worse-lol

So glad the surf wasn't good today, so I wasn't tempted to go out and make it worse.
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
My back was in bad shape today, but I had group therapy in town, so I went to the gym today with the intention of doing safe exercises, that I knew had low probability of not hurting the disk in my back, like pull-ups, and I was iffy about working out on the stair stepper, but I decided to give it a shot, and I found out how awesome this thing really is...

My back was not worse afterwards, and I got a great aerobic and leg workout, and my back even feels better than it did before I used the stair stepper!

I highly recommend this machine to anyone with joint problems who wants an aerobic workout that can be as intense as running a one hundred yard sprint, but with absolutely minimal impact, if any at all.

I can't even walk on a treadmill, on it's steepest setting, at like 2 miles an hour, without experiencing pain and making my back worse. This stair stepper is the bomb  :yes:

Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
This is interesting because it points to individual differences in how we get a handle on pain. Some people turn to drugs or operations. Not good. To be avoided.

I keep my back strong with yoga and focus on abs. Run my own stairs all day long. That amounts to nothing less than lifting our own weight. Effective. Have lived in places with no stairs and with stairs. With stairs built in there is automatic daily exercise. If we can prevent the mind from dragging us down we've got it made, though I feel as if I'm burning up with those fires in So. CA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
I did 22 pullups with 130 pounds of assist today a new record for me  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #170 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
Do you mean pull-ups at a machine in the gym? With the weight counter clicked to 130? Be careful not to strain your back with that level of weights.

Did you ever try fit-ball? Stomach crunches can also give the back a nice massage. Feet against a wall help to keep it steady. Learned that by just watching others. Fit-ball takes some skill but can be helpful and effective. Have one at home, not expensive. Also handy as a foot rest, ha ha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
No, Tinam. It's not pull-ups with 130 pounds. It's pullups with 130 pounds of help. Pull-ups are one of my worst, 'lifts,' I've been working out for over 20 years but I've only been doing pull-ups for a couple years. I wish I started earlier. Pull-ups have a neutral impact on the disk in my back. In fact, pull-ups are an excercisze I do on my, 'safe lifting days,' days when I know not to push it.

Something I wrote on another forum:

I've been trying to lose weight and get fit for about ten years, but since October (about 8 months) Iíve actually lost about 41 pounds, and Iíve lost 41 pounds despite having a herniated disk in my back.

My motivation for losing weight is basically because I came to the conclusion losing weight would be the single most important thing I could do to improve my life.

I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease which can develop into cirrhosis and c****r, so losing weight is about more than looking better, although that is definitely one benefit. Losing weight could be a matter of life and death. However, since Iíve lost weight Iíve had pain free days when I had none before!!!

Iím also a surfer, so surfing was also a source of motivation. When I was 70 pounds overweight, I literally could not fit into my wetsuit without someoneís help in the parking lot, and as someone with Social Anxiety getting a strangers help to zip up my wetsit was very embarrassing to say the least. Moreover, I can literally count on my hands the number of waves I caught when I was 70 pounds overweight. However, since Iíve lost over 40 pounds, Iíve caught more waves in one session than I caught in all the sessions combined when I was 70 pounds overweight, and I can get into my wetsuit without any help!!!

Iím going to do my best to make the most of life despite my challenges? How about you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »
As long as there is no impact on disk, you are fine. Your weight loss is so impressive. I totally agree that good weight contributes so much to good health. Excessive weight can affect just about any organ.

There are other aspects to good health. Maybe you want to start a thread elsewhere (GAD, Clinical Depression, etc.) so that more people will see it. This thread at the top here is not so apparent to others.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »
Well I surfed to exhaustion today then I went to the gym and did 1500 steps on the stair stepper before seeing my psychiatrist. I have a good feeling I'm going to be laying flat on my back in bed the next couple of days, but I feel really fortunate I'm able to do what I can do. It definitely could be worse...
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
That's a heavy double header, surfing and the gym and the psych. True, we never want to lose sight of what we have, what we can do, that we live in peace, have shelter, precious water, etc. Now AZ is up in flames and we've had hail and tornadoes and flooding.

Today I'm off to yoga. Sometimes there are now as many as 5 men in there. I like to watch one guy who throws his stuff all around, towel, shoes, socks, his hoody, water, etc. When I first started there were 6 or 7 people. Now there are 20 or more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »
I can't do yoga. I tried and it hurts my back, but I stretch my hamstrings obsessively, which really helps my back and my surfing. Between every set in the gym, I stretch my hamstrings for 30 to 60 seconds.

I went surfing today just to get some exercise because the gym is closed tomorrow for memmorial day, and afterwards I weighed myself and I was 1.6 pounds away from my ambitious goal for the month of 215 pounds, and I was -3.4 pounds from my modest goal of weighing less than 220 pounds. I've started making a modest goal of just weighing less than I did the previous month, even if it's just .1 pounds, and an ambitious goal of weighing 5 pounds less at the end of the month than I weighed at the beginning of the month. I weigh 3.4 pounds less than my modest goal. So I already accomplished this goal this month!

Having a modest goal that's easy keeps my momentum going, even if it's just .1 pounds, and I have an ambitious goal if I'm really ambitious!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Oh I'd have you doing gentle yoga stretches, strengthening abs and all important spine, breathing fresh oxygen into areas that are sore and you'd be good as new.

You have this week to reach your goal. You'll make it. I've fallen for vegan super fruit muffins with fine ingredients. Maybe I'll get on the scale before the month is out and see what damage the muffins did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
My back is in bad shape today. It sucks when you have the ambition and motivation to accomplish your goals but not the health. I just have to realize I'm going to have to lie flat on my back in bed on ice for a couple days. By now, I know the drill-lol...

I'm just going to have to be disciplined and not eat too much while I'm down...
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
Now I try to look for the good within the bad. For example, if you're on your back it is not conducive to eating or swallowing. A couple of light intake days will bring fine results on the scale.

While you're on your back, periodically bend one knee, then the other, then both knees to your chest and enfold with your arms. Hold and breathe. You can also try a straight leg lift, hold with hands, maybe lift head toward leg. Hold and breathe. You can reward yourself with frozen yogurt posing as ice cream.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
A substitute therapist told me I couldn't lay on the floor in group therapy today, and I told her I have a herniated disk and she can see the scars from surgery if she would like to and she backed off.

If I can do something to alleviate my surffering, I'm going to do it regardless of whether it upsets someone's sensibilities that I'm not conforming to societal norms or not.

My back is like money. I have to save it and spend it on what I really want to spend it on, and I'd rather not spend it on sitting in a chair if I don't have to.

But the good news is I did 1200 steps on the stair stepper today! and my weight is into the teens! So I've lost around 44 pounds but it seems to be getting more difficult to lose weight lately, but as long as I'm moving in the right direction, I'm happy  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share