Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition  (Read 6670 times)

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks Tinam!

I went to the gym today and holy panic attack batman-lol I've never had a panic attack in the gym before, but I think I know why I had a panic attack today.

Yesterday, I took a high dose of klonapin to get through group therapy bcs group therapy is particularly stressful for me bcs I have social anxiety and today was a rebound from the high dose of klonapin yesterday. Not only was I rebounding from klonapin, but I drank twice as much coffee as I usually do. So, that didn't help.

Normally, I develop a phobia of a place after I have a panic attack there but not this time. I'm not going to develop a phobia of the gym. It's my refuge.

The good news is I used all that panic energy today and I broke my pull-up record!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
Terrific attitude toward the gym. Gradually you may even get free of the med by retraining the mind, part of CBT. I jokingly call it brainwashing, am sure to practice it every day.

Group can be good. Go to a group meditation class. No need to say anything, yet there is a pleasant ambience being together.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
Nice Tinam!

I'm having a great month so far! I used Gensec's goals as motivation and I haven't been eating fastfood after I workout in town, and instead, I wait to get home and I drink a weigh protein shake with almond milk and a banana, and I've quit eating cereal. I've quit drinking milk alltogether, and so far I've lost nearly 8 pounds this month! and there are 14 more days left in the month!

Yesterday, I went clam, digging and I'm really fealing it in my glutes today. I doubt I would've been able to do it If I had not been working out. I was literally out of breathe at times, but I dug my limit (15) clams in about an hour and If I were to buy those clams in resteraunt, they would be 60 dollars, so I made about 60 dollars in an hour yesterday!

:happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 56
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
Ooh, has my name been uttered somewhere!? :laugh3:

I too get that urge to eat fast food when I start losing weight... I think in both our cases its our body's way of trying to preserve its reserves, trying to claw back some of the excess that's been shed. I think however you know the feeling that successful weight loss has in encouraging us to stay the course and not give in to such temptations. :winking0008: It certainly sounds like it! A brief fast food buzz pales in comparison to the long term sense of achievement that comes with staying the course and persevering with improving our lives.

Wow, 8 lbs? You've lost the equivalent of what it takes me about 8 weeks to shed! :sprachlos020: That just goes to show what putting in the full commitment of diet AND exercise can get you. Once, again, it exposes that I'm a half hearted lightweight in all of this! :laugh3: The weight is going down for me, but progress could be so much better.

Its funny, because you tend to think of cereal as this healthy thing to start the day with... yet it tends to be packed with sugar. If I ever ate breakfast (which I don't) I'd make a healthy alternative.

As for my progress, I lost 1 lb this week. So am back on course. It sounds pretty paltry now, haha! I am thinking of making one sacrifice... cutting my 2 fast food indulgences a week to just 1. The less I eat it, the less I crave it; cutting the number even further wouldn't bother me anymore. I do think they're addictive to a certain extent. Even if I never lost anyway weight I'd be happy I cut down on them, and sugar.

Best,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »
This thread looks like somewhere I need to be. (:  I'll give a little background~

I was overweight in middle and high school and had pretty low self esteem overall.  Junior year of high school, I decided to lose weight when I heard my weight at the doctor's office.  I started extremely small in my efforts but the big thing I did was to cut out soft drinks cold turkey.  I started light exercise as well.

By the time I was 21/22 or something, I had lost 50 pounds!  At this point, it became a real struggle because my goal weight was a mere 5-10 pounds away at all times, no matter what I did.  Funny enough, the thing that got me to my first goal weight was my first trip to the dentist.  I was literally so scared that I couldn't eat like normal and lost the weight.  It was a year or so before I got serious about it.  What inspired me this time was this show that was on for a very short time called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  I adored that show because it showed me what kind of crap I was eating all the time and basically horrified me.

I went on a diet and cut down on desserts a lot.  Late night snacking of unhealthy things is my weakness.  I did a couple of workout programs, including 30 Day Shred.  I dropped some more pounds to my next goal and have been there ever since.

I'd like to lose about five more pounds.  I'm pretty happy with myself now but I'm here because of my eating habits.  They're pretty awful.  I mean, I eat good most of the day but at least one meal a day bombs completely.  I have such a weakness for fast food, especially when I'm feeling depressed.  When I'm at my most anxious, fast food is just about all I can get myself to eat.  I'd love to cut down again and get back to where I was, diet wise.

To answer a couple of the questions in the first post:
3. Tips & Tricks - Personally, if a workout isn't fun, I won't stick to it.  I hated 30 Day Shred, not because it was difficult but because I just didn't click with the teacher.  My personal favorite is Hip Hop Abs or something by the Shaun T guy, because he has a way of making you laugh while you work out.  So yea, it's not as challenging, but at least I look forward to it.
4. Workout ideas - I used to work out twice a day.  Once after breakfast and once at the end of the day.  That way, I knew I was getting one workout in if something happened later that day to where I couldn't do it.  Plus I'd feel accomplished first thing, which made me happy the rest of the day.
5. What motivates me? - This may sound silly, but comic book conventions motivate me.  When I know that in a few months, I'll be getting a photo op with an actor I love, it urges me to look my best for it.  I mean, come on, I'll be enjoying that picture forever.

So there we are.  Hello (:  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »
Welcome Snowy, the more the merrier, the more inspired and successful we are likely to be. What works is, I believe, highly individual. We have different weaknesses, different rates of metabolism, different rates of success, failures, and ways of starting again.

We never, never give up. We want to feel good, look good. Together we stay the course, however we get there. We inspire each other, share our tricks. :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
This thread looks like somewhere I need to be. (:  I'll give a little background~

I was overweight in middle and high school and had pretty low self esteem overall.  Junior year of high school, I decided to lose weight when I heard my weight at the doctor's office.  I started extremely small in my efforts but the big thing I did was to cut out soft drinks cold turkey.  I started light exercise as well.

By the time I was 21/22 or something, I had lost 50 pounds!  At this point, it became a real struggle because my goal weight was a mere 5-10 pounds away at all times, no matter what I did.  Funny enough, the thing that got me to my first goal weight was my first trip to the dentist.  I was literally so scared that I couldn't eat like normal and lost the weight.  It was a year or so before I got serious about it.  What inspired me this time was this show that was on for a very short time called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  I adored that show because it showed me what kind of crap I was eating all the time and basically horrified me.

I went on a diet and cut down on desserts a lot.  Late night snacking of unhealthy things is my weakness.  I did a couple of workout programs, including 30 Day Shred.  I dropped some more pounds to my next goal and have been there ever since.

I'd like to lose about five more pounds.  I'm pretty happy with myself now but I'm here because of my eating habits.  They're pretty awful.  I mean, I eat good most of the day but at least one meal a day bombs completely.  I have such a weakness for fast food, especially when I'm feeling depressed.  When I'm at my most anxious, fast food is just about all I can get myself to eat.  I'd love to cut down again and get back to where I was, diet wise.

To answer a couple of the questions in the first post:
3. Tips & Tricks - Personally, if a workout isn't fun, I won't stick to it.  I hated 30 Day Shred, not because it was difficult but because I just didn't click with the teacher.  My personal favorite is Hip Hop Abs or something by the Shaun T guy, because he has a way of making you laugh while you work out.  So yea, it's not as challenging, but at least I look forward to it.
4. Workout ideas - I used to work out twice a day.  Once after breakfast and once at the end of the day.  That way, I knew I was getting one workout in if something happened later that day to where I couldn't do it.  Plus I'd feel accomplished first thing, which made me happy the rest of the day.
5. What motivates me? - This may sound silly, but comic book conventions motivate me.  When I know that in a few months, I'll be getting a photo op with an actor I love, it urges me to look my best for it.  I mean, come on, I'll be enjoying that picture forever.

So there we are.  Hello (:  :action-smiley-065:

Awesome Snowy! Your success is inspiring!

Fast food is one of my problems as well. I live 40 miles away from the gym and fastfood resteraunts, so every time I went to the gym, I would go to a fast food restaurant afterwards even though I was not hungry because it was my only opportunity to eat fast food. But I just started abstaining from fast food after working out this month and instead, I've been drinking a whey protein, almond milk and banana shake and I've lost 6-8 pounds already this month in only 20 days and my goal is just to lose 5 pounds a month.

Last month, I actually gained 5 pounds, so it's great to be losing weight again!  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I don't live that close to fast food but it's so easy to call my dad and ask him to pick some up on the way home from work.  I also have a frozen pizza problem!  :laugh3:  When it gets around 11pm, if I'm staying up a while longer, it tends to be what I crave the most.

Congrats on cutting out the fast food after workouts. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
Hi Snowy,

Welcome! You're yet another contributor here who makes me look like a featherweight in all this! :laugh3: You, anxiousartist and Tina have made all this focused effort and sacrifice, earning great results. :winking0008: Here's me coasting along at a miserable 1 to 2 lbs weight loss a week! Over 50 lbs weight loss is an admirable achievement, well done. :happy0001: It sounds like I could learn a thing or two from you!

My weakness is late night snacking on sugary cereal. :-* I love to make myself an extra large bowl to eat whilst in bed. That's been a real hard habit to break. :mad0228: And don't talk to me about fast food... we're not that far away from a few different fast food outlets, and despite managing to cut down on (but not cut out) eating there, the temptation is always there when I'm feeling stressed or depressed.

That's so important that you have a motivation, Snowy. I'm determined to lose weight and am making (slow, gradual) progress, yet I have no real motivation to do so. I'm not very overweight, only mildly overweight. I think its because I look at pictures of myself when younger, and I look happier - I'm also very thin. So perhaps its an elusive quest to rediscover the (relative) happiness I felt before Anxiety Disorder began impacting adversely on my life.

Regards,
Gen.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
Gen -
If I can give you one tip, it would be to stop buying the cereal.  I mean, we all have weak moments.  The trouble comes when you have the things at your disposal to follow through.  I don't buy donuts every week anymore.  If we're celebrating or I'm staying with my grandma, we'll get a box but not constantly anymore.  Easy way to keep from eating them!

I understand that about fast food.  I could seriously just live on pizza and nothing else forever!  :laugh3:  But at least I'm far enough out in the country that the pizza joints won't even deliver to us.

I didn't know you were on the weight loss train as well.  I'd call myself only mildly too.  It's those last annoying five or so pounds that don't want to leave.  I've read up a few times that it's the last bit of weight that is worst to get off, so you're not alone there.  Don't worry, any progress is good progress!  Taking it off slow is better than it falling off weirdly fast, eh? (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »
Hi Snowy,

Welcome! You're yet another contributor here who makes me look like a featherweight in all this! :laugh3: You, anxiousartist and Tina have made all this focused effort and sacrifice, earning great results. :winking0008: Here's me coasting along at a miserable 1 to 2 lbs weight loss a week! Over 50 lbs weight loss is an admirable achievement, well done. :happy0001: It sounds like I could learn a thing or two from you!

My weakness is late night snacking on sugary cereal. :-* I love to make myself an extra large bowl to eat whilst in bed. That's been a real hard habit to break. :mad0228: And don't talk to me about fast food... we're not that far away from a few different fast food outlets, and despite managing to cut down on (but not cut out) eating there, the temptation is always there when I'm feeling stressed or depressed.

That's so important that you have a motivation, Snowy. I'm determined to lose weight and am making (slow, gradual) progress, yet I have no real motivation to do so. I'm not very overweight, only mildly overweight. I think its because I look at pictures of myself when younger, and I look happier - I'm also very thin. So perhaps its an elusive quest to rediscover the (relative) happiness I felt before Anxiety Disorder began impacting adversely on my life.

Regards,
Gen.

Don't be so hard on yourself Gensec. You're doing great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
Gen -
If I can give you one tip, it would be to stop buying the cereal.  I mean, we all have weak moments.  The trouble comes when you have the things at your disposal to follow through.  I don't buy donuts every week anymore.  If we're celebrating or I'm staying with my grandma, we'll get a box but not constantly anymore.  Easy way to keep from eating them!

I understand that about fast food.  I could seriously just live on pizza and nothing else forever!  :laugh3:  But at least I'm far enough out in the country that the pizza joints won't even deliver to us.

I didn't know you were on the weight loss train as well.  I'd call myself only mildly too.  It's those last annoying five or so pounds that don't want to leave.  I've read up a few times that it's the last bit of weight that is worst to get off, so you're not alone there.  Don't worry, any progress is good progress!  Taking it off slow is better than it falling off weirdly fast, eh? (:

I do that too snowy. It's a lot easier to be disciplined in the grocery store than it is to be disciplined 24/7 in your own home, especially at night.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Poke This Member
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
Don't be so hard on yourself Gensec. You're doing great.

Kind thanks. :winking0008: I guess snail's pace progress is better than none at all!

Last week I met up with an old friend I hadn't seen in almost a month, and when I sat down at the table he said "Oh, are you on a diet?" I said yes. "Mm I can see the difference around your face. You look thinner." I guess that progress is seeming faster because I wasn't that overly overweight in the first place.

Gen -

Ah but you see Snowy I have no control over the cereal in our house - my folks buy it! :mad0228: And the boxes sit there teasing me.

They had pizza last night in fact... but I was too busy writing to someone to break my diet and have a slice, haha. :winking0008:

Often I think that women carry off having a bit more weight better than men do... some woman actually look quite pretty with a bit of weight on them. Or perhaps that's just me! :laugh3:

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »
Can't resist my two cents. Pizza and cereal are not all bad, but never, ever after 5 or latest 6 p.m. No, no midnight snacking.

Cereal actually was a big feature in the diet book I dreamt up years ago. And pizza with vegis piled on top is too delicious to give up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
tinam - It depends on what kind of cereal and pizza you eat, I suppose.  The kind I'll eat for breakfast doesn't have much sugar but I know there are a ton of cereals that do.  Plus the pizza I eat is definitely not piled up with veggies- more like pepperoni, which I know isn't good.  Also depends on moderation.  During my diet days, I let myself have one slice of pizza if I finished the meal with raw veggies and fruits.

Quote from: GenSec
Ah but you see Snowy I have no control over the cereal in our house - my folks buy it! :mad0228: And the boxes sit there teasing me.
I see.  I have the same problems here.  I feel I'd be doing a lot better with this if my parents would get on board and eat a bit better.  My mom's even diabetic, but she buys us a lot of junk.

They had pizza last night in fact... but I was too busy writing to someone to break my diet and have a slice, haha. :winking0008:
I think I skipped dessert last night now that you mention it! o: 

Often I think that women carry off having a bit more weight better than men do... some woman actually look quite pretty with a bit of weight on them. Or perhaps that's just me! :laugh3:
I don't know, I think I'd say the exact opposite.  I mean, I DO think women usually look better with a bit of weight but I think the same of men.

Bookmark and Share