Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition  (Read 6981 times)

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:14 AM »
The general rule is one pound a week. So this will require some drastic measures in calorie reduction, or frantic exercising.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
Awesome thread!

Here lately I haven't done so well, after a series of bad anxiety attacks the last few months I haven't been to the gym in a while. I used to go 6x a week, sometimes for 2-3 hours at a time. Thankfully, my body hasn't punished me too much, I have gained about 8lbs but am still way down from my high point. At the beginning of last year I was around 230lbs, which is a bit on the steep side considering I'm 5'10". My physician had told me several times to lay off the fatty foods, but being stubborn as a bull, I didn't listen too well. What changed my mind was two things - health insurance changing. Insurance companies are trying to change policies similar to how auto insurance works. You're a bad driver? Your auto ins. rates are higher. You're overweight, or a smoker? Health insurance rates will be higher. - The other item was my physician finally made the comment that my sugar and cholesterol levels were dangerously high and that if I kept it up, I was at risk for serious health problems. It's funny how you set aside your stubbornness when both your health and money are threatened.

Immediately I started slow and made a diet plan that worked for me. At first I still ate fast food, but limited it to 3x a week and no fries. Within a month, I was off fast food completely. I nixed sodas and carbonated drinks from the start. Water and the occasional sweet tea became the drinks of choice. I started working out at home to condition myself before I eventually joined a gym with my friends.

Within 6 months, I went from 225lbs (weigh in at start of diet) to 170, but wasn't quite skin and bones thanks to building muscle at the gym.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jessicalynnlove

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
I am Jessica, and I have been on a weight loss plan for a good while now. I have lost 50 pounds and I am down to my last 10. It's been a struggle for me to get here and I have had a hard time trying to get this last ten off. I think I need to work out even harder than I was before. I am hoping to lose five in the next month and a half!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
I sure wish the gym I belong to would fix their stair stepper. It's been broken for several months, and the last time they said it would be fixed was on the tenth and today it's the eighteenth.

It wouldn't be a big deal to me if I didn't have a herniated disk in my back and using a normal treadmill going as steep as I can as slowly as I can still hurts my back. Their stair stepper, however, is perfect. There's absolutely no impact at all, it works my legs(and there isn't much I can do for my legs with my back), and it's extremely vigorous(I'm literally gasping for air after using that thing, I love it)

It's really hard to meet my weightloss goals dieting alone. I really hope they can fix that thing sometime. Last month I met my weightloss goal by dieting, lifting, and swimming, but I would be a lot more confident I can meet my goal this month if that machine were working.

Oh well...I'm just a little frustrated-lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
I am Jessica, and I have been on a weight loss plan for a good while now. I have lost 50 pounds and I am down to my last 10. It's been a struggle for me to get here and I have had a hard time trying to get this last ten off. I think I need to work out even harder than I was before. I am hoping to lose five in the next month and a half!

Way to go Jessica!

So far I've lost 30 pounds, and I have 30 more to go!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
My goal, in terms of my eating, is to concentrate on eating protein, fruits, and vegetables, and try to limit the amount of carbs I'm eating. Although, I'm not trying to eliminate carbs completely, like the atkins diet. I eat nuts daily. So, I'm eating carbs.

...and generally I'm just trying to eat less when I eat. In the past, I would make a lot of something because it's as easy to make a lot of something as it is to make a little of something, but I'm trying to change that. It's less efficient, But I've come to the conclusion: losing weight is the number one thing I can do to improve my life so it's worh the inconvenience of having to cook more often.

:happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »
Yes, eating less is important though the body will rebel here and there. Moderation is really the key, esp. of sugar items, fried stuff, white flour products. Never would I give up bread, or potatoes, or pasta. Am a soup junkie.

Some years ago I dreamt up my own diet. One key change was to eat the main meal midday with very little thereafter. This worked fairly well. We still have to remain friends with that unforgiving scale.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
Well the stair stepper wasn't in the gym today, so I suppose this means they are either working on it or it's gone for good.

It's a mystery-lol

I really hope it's the former and not the latter.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »
Don't use stair step because I'm stepping stairs all day where I live. It is great exercise.

In the gym my favorites are bench press, leg press, ab cruncher, triceps pull, sit up bench. Also like to do free weights sitting on fit ball. However I may have cheated the day before (choc. choc. choc.) it gets wiped out in the gym. Have mini gym items at home too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
I love the stair stepper-lol I'm glad you're getting your stair workout naturally tinam!

I really wish some of these restaurants had smaller portions. I'm not a small guy and the amount of food at some of these places makes me feel ill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Well I asked a trainer about the stair stepper today, and he said they took it out of the workout room to fix it!  :happy0151:

I generally avoid the treadmill, but I learned today, the steeper I set the treadmill, and the slower I walk, the less impact it has on my back. It's not as good as the stair stepper, but at least it's something.

I also walk my dog on the beach when the weather is OK. Walking on the sand is a great workout for someone with a bad back like me. The sand softens the impact, and walking in the sand is also a great workout. Walking on concrete is painful, but I can walk on the beach for miles. I'm literally dripping with sweat and my calves are burning after I walk on the beach. It's also great for my dog too of course. The beaches in WA state aren't that populated so you don't have to use a leash, so there's usually other dogs she can play with  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
How nice that stair stepper will return. Is there a better setting for walking? Not that I know of. Walking is really very good exercise and good for the soul and spirit.

Back issues can be helped with attention. Abs need to be strengthened, yoga stretches can be good. You can see exercises on You Tube. Some are on all fours, some seated, some on stomach, some on back. Eating out requires planning and ingenuity but can be managed. Sometimes you get two for one, one meal out the other to take home.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
I put the treadmill on a 13 degree incline(really steap) and I walked for one mile at 2.5 mph(really slow) and I was dripping in sweat. It was so great, not as good as the stair stepper but great.

There wasn't much impact on my back bcs I was walking so slowly, but it was still a great workout.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
A treadmill on an incline is a workout and a half. But you must be on guard.

Body may wake up and demand rewards for such punishment. Milk shakes, ice cream floats, sundaes, etc. etc. Watch out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
So true Tinam!

I'm so stoked! I made my weightloss goal this month of 5 pounds! I really thought again, for the second month, I wasn't going to succeed this month, but I did!

I'm trying to decide what my reward will be this month. Last month it was Chinese food. I'm on the fence this month. Should I get Chinese food again, or should I get fish-n-chips  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share