Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Terrible Intrusive Thoughts, someone please help!!!  (Read 1032 times)

Offline natalie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrible Intrusive Thoughts, someone please help!!!
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
I've posted on here before about my anxiety and now I feel like I need to post about my intrusive thoughts. I get really disturbing intrusive thoughts  :( Ever since my panic attack two weeks ago after i watched a criminal minds episode that involved a schizophrenic guy who believed he had a chip that aliens placed there. I know its not real and no I do not hear voices and I do not see "things," but I have been keeping this to myself and don't know who else to tell so i thought why not get some help on here? Anyways, my intrusive thoughts make me think that the world is not "real" and then i freak out and tell myself I'm going insane for thinking this. Everything leads back to these stupid "aliens" all because i thought of that show while having panic attacks. I have periods where i think to myself, wow I'm such an idiot for thinking that and then laugh at myself for thinking it in the first place, those are the periods i feel normal. But then more intrusive thoughts come in and i start freaking out again and thinking I'm insane. the back of my head feels kinda weird too. whenever i go to sleep i get electrical shocks that run through my whole body and i wake up from my sleep. I know that i probably sound crazy, but i don't know where else to turn. This anxiety has literally taken over my thinking and I feel so hopeless. I just want these skrewed up thoughts to stop. I'm going to see a counsellor tomorrow, so hopefully that helps. Has anyone else experienced bizarre thoughts like this or just anything in general? on a side note, I looked up schizophrenia and psychosis and scared the crap out of myself and i feel like that plays a huge role in this as well. Hate google right now, and myself for letting myself search up my symptoms.  >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrible Intrusive Thoughts, someone please help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Natalie, you as normal as anyone!  All people get "instrusive thoughts."  Unfortunately, some of us who struggle with anxiety, are prone to get sensitized to the whole thing and our mind and bodies react with anxiety sensations, brain zaps included.  It is highly unpleasant and uncomfortable but does not mean at all you are crazy.  Upset, yes.  Crazy no!  Wishing you the best on working with the counselor.  Hope it helps you.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
I get very morbid thoughts from time to time and got the feeling everything was fake.... They're just thoughts and many people get what we call intrusive thoughts.... Like e77 mentioned we're sensitive to the thoughts just like any other sensation or perceived threat.  You're not alone with your thoughts I try journaling them and any distraction it seems to help me a lot.
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline flowersblair

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »
I've had hundreds of these intrusive thoughts. It helped me to know that the thoughts themselves aren't exclusive to anxiety. A lot of people have unpleasant thoughts pop into their mind but brush them off quicker than others.

Firstly not going on the internet helped, as did staying away from anything that might trigger me to have intrusive thoughts, such as alien conspiracies, etc. It doesn't help to read about other people's intrusive thoughts, for example, or research mental illnesses, because we have the kind of mind that takes everything on and doesn't let go. It's best not to give it any ideas. HONESTLY. Don't research it. You have an anxiety disorder and your anxious brain is going to take any rubbish you read and run away with it.

Secondly, psychology REALLY helped. You can't completely eliminate thoughts (and the more you TRY to stop thinking about it, naturally the more you think about it) No, you have to let the thought sit in your head and reduce the anxiety it causes you. Because the anxiety it causes is what makes us different to the average non-anxious person who has the same thought but doesn't dwell on it. Your "thats silly" response is the real you. The fear and worry that its actually real, is the anxious brain.

To reduce the anxiety, you need to sit with the thought and ride it out to the point of ridiculousness. Start thinking about aliens in a kitchen wearing an apron and hair rollers and making breakfast for humans. Start singing in your head (or out loud if you can) a little rhyme about aliens. Then say the thoughts aloud in your head in different accents (or again, say them out loud) these things should help to reduce the anxiety response so you won't feel so terrible.

Remember it's just a thought. Thoughts are not real. You can think about running through a shopping centre naked, it doesnt mean you'll do it. You can think about marrying some celebrity or going to mars... those thoughts are as real as any other thought... real ridiculous, that is.

Keep telling yourself "Is it realistic?" No.
Bookmark and Share

Offline natalie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »
Thank you so much!
I've stayed off the Internet because of my anxiety. I realized I was feeding my brain with more negative thoughts so I was doing more harm then I was good. I love the accent idea you gave me. I tried it with my intrusive thoughts and it sounded so ridiculous I actually laughed. So thank you so much for that idea :) it helps. I've been seeing a therapist so hopefully I can eliminate these thoughts and anxiety soon. Once again thank you.
Bookmark and Share