Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: An inspirational success story  (Read 1461 times)

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
An inspirational success story
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
I am writing this post about a friend of mine on this site. His name is kevinjoseph and he has become a huge inspiration to myself and many others in the chat room.

I want to tell his story, as much as I know (I have his permission lol) so that it can hopefully inspire some others on the forum, not just in chat.

So when I first met kev maybe a year ago, he was agoraphobic, barely managing to leave his house. He suffers with depression and severe Crohns too.

His therapist had him get in his car every hour and drive around the parking lot of his building. This was something that was extremely difficult for him and I could tell that he hated it so much BUT he did it anyway every time. He persevered with this and then would exit the parking lot and go around the block. A few months later he progressed to driving to the gas station maybe a mile or so away. Again he would do this many times a day. Then he would go into the store and buy himself a soda or something. He kept desensitizing himself to the awful feelings an agoraphobe gets when leaving the house.

Fast forward a few months and he got himself a tutoring job and even started going out on a few dates. Now remember that he has severe Crohns and yet still has a job. Not to mention the depression which would sap him of the motivation to get up and go to work, YET he still did it every day.

It was not an easy road, but this man got out there and did it every single day and the reward for all that hard work is a life of not being trapped by an awful condition experienced by so many.

To this man I say congratulations sir, for getting out and living your life. No one was going to do it for you, you put in all the required hours and you are truly an inspiration. If this post can help just one person to realize the strength and healing capacity we all have within us then it is so worth it.

Keep up the great work my friend
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tam0630

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: An inspirational success story
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
Well said, Cam.  :winking0008:

I have known Kevin for as long as Cam has, and he is an inspiration to me too. In fact, seeing every day the way he battled through his agoraphobia challenged me to battle through mine.

Kevin, I know you're going through a bit of a battle right now but trust me, friend. You inspire a lot of us and we love and believe in you.  Keep up the good fight.

Much love and respect and many warm hugs. You rock!
Bookmark and Share
The only power anyone or any thing has over us is the power we relinquish.

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Kevin, I remember you coming into chat saying "5 minutes till exposure"....the five minutes would be up, you'd leave, only to come back 10 minutes later to tell us how well the exposure went....30 minutes more and another '5 minutes till exposure"   Kevin, you gave a new meaning to the word exposure in chat!!!!  I'm so happy that you aren't exposing Ou've done it Kevin....you've been a true example for all to follow!!  Hoots off to you my friend!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline yoyoyomonica

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Kevasaur is a awesome person who has been successful in showing us that with whatever we have going on in our lives that you can do it! NO matter what. IT isnt easy but he does and will keep doing it every day. Way to go KEV keep up the exposure. You are doing great! Dont let anything hold you back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:17 AM »
Captain Exposure. I think that was what I began calling you Kev. Was great to see you get out there. Take on things. I know it is never easy. I know we all have our setbacks from time to time. But it is during these times we have to push that little bit harder. This you always done. Yes, you may get annoyed at yourself at yourself at times. We have all been there. But still your kept on pushing. Wanting to do things. There was always a fighter there. Someone who was willing to battle to regain the life he once had. Always keep up the good fight. It is well worth the effort come the end of the day.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline r1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »
A very inspirational and encouraging story of somebody stronger than they thought they could be.

This put a smile on my face. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cutecat25

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Well done Kev! I'm so proud of you!!!  ;D
Others just dont realise how much courage, bravery,strength etc it takes for us to do the things we do everyday, but youve shown us that you hold all these qualities.
And also to Camel for sharing this story, what a great friend you are!
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Tags: