Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: im soo scared and crying every day because of a head ct scan i got 2 years ago  (Read 1067 times)

Offline myanxiety22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
2 years and 3 month ago i got a ct scan for my head it was
head ct with and without contrast
maybe 4.8 or 5 msv i think

before doing the scan i asked the doctors in the hospital can that cause cancer to me
they said no
but onother nurse told me why a young person like you getting a ct scan

ok now it is 2 years and 3 months after that scan and i cant stop think about the radiation i got from that scan
and that i will get a brain tumor from that radiation
thats killing me my anxiety destroyed my life
it is 2 years old scan and i cant stop think about it
even i cry everyday when im alone
im 26 years old
anxiety is killing me day after day
every day like i said i cry and said why i got that scan
i cant believe that im gonna get a brain tumor some day because of that radiation i got

it was head ct with and without contrast
so it is 2 ct scans right?

even 3 months ago i went to the hospital where i got my ct scan and asked the
the person who works on the ct scanner and he start laughing and told me yeah it is a lot of radiation

-----------------------------------
 im getting also a mild Headache so im worry can that be a growing brain tumor from the radiation i got 2 years and 3 months ago
im soo worry about that point ?
enough time for radiation to cause a brain tumor ?
----------------------------------
like i said im 26 years old thanks for everyone
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Yes, CT scans do expose you to a lot of radiation. If you got several back-to-back CT scans, your chance of cancer would go up ever so slightly.  But one CT scan won't raise your risk of cancer. 

The body heals from radiation like it does from a sunburn.  If you get another one when you're still healing, it can cause problems. But two years after your CT scan, your body has probably long healed from that scan.

So don't worry!  (Don't run in and get another scan, obviously. But don't worry about the one you got.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline myanxiety22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
also i want to ask is it enough for ct scan radiation at 5 msv to cause a brain tumor in just 2 years and 3 months?

im soo worry
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJF

• Rec's: 19
    • Poke This Member
Certainly a head CT exposes you to radiation, however if you look it up you will see a head CT=200 mrm and a full body CT is 1000 mrem.   You probably get as much radiation from the environment!!!  A yearly dose of 600-800 mrem has not been shown to cause any health issues at all.  You are not even close to that. 

These numbers should give people reason not to demand CT scans all the time, however 2 scans in 2 years is well below any sort of threshold. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi....welcome to The AZ:) This is quite a common fear among HA peeps. Don't feel alone in your worry. But, know that it is your anxiety that is the major root cause of your intrusive fears and not the actual CT scan, itself. As the others have said, you're in no danger from your med testing, to date....as I'm sure any medical professional would relay to you on this subject, IMHO:)

What is going on in your anxiety help? Have you ever seen a professional? How long have you struggled with anxiety issues? What was the overall report from your last physical / checkup?

There is always help and hope in learning how to live in better accord, alongside, our mental health challenges.

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
I am going out on a limb (and it is a limb that is quite sturdy and is in no danger of breaking) and going to tell you that your are NOT going to get a tumor from those two scans.

my eldest had her first ctscan at age 4 months.  she has had numerous other x--rays over the years and had her second ct scan at age 20.  She is now 25 and actually had another x-ray or two since then.

my dad and sister were both diagnosed with brain tumors using a CTscan.  these were their first EVER scans.

lots of people, hypoes primarily  :winking0008:, make a big whoopie te do about radiation and ct scans......  it is all for not............ that IS unless you are going over and over and over again.

another thing to give a few thoughts about is this:   guess how most cancers are treated?   that is RIGHT by radiation.....

what are you doing for your anxiety disorder?  what is working?  what isn't?  as we know anxiety disorders just don't get better by using the reactive habits---ie repeat reassurance via family, friends, doc visits and medical testing, self-checking, googling, ruminating.....   we get better when we start embracing the proactive habits---therapy, self-help, exercise, yoga, mediatiton, involving oneself with meaningful life--ie hobbies, volunteering.   AND all of these things take MONTHS.  My son was in a very bad way last year (the  kind that you are hospitalized for). He began his proactive habits Jan. '12.  It took SIX months before we began seeing a turn around.  Here we are a year later and I have my son back.  He just had his annual physical.  His doc comes out to bring me in to the exam room (my son is now 18).  On the way back in she is saying, "my gosh he is a different KID.  absolutely amazing".    THis took time and a real commitment on my son's part. AND I am so very proud of my son.  He has turned it around.  He is an amazing person.

AND so are you... you have to find yourself again. you too can get better......  just start those first steps. you'll be glad you did.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
I must be full of tumors then because in the same time frame as your CT Scan up to today, I've had:

1 CT Scan (head)
3 MRI's (head, spine)
4 Sonograms (breast, abdominal, heart)
6 Mammograms
1 XRay (hip, lower back)
5 Ultrasounds (neck)

You can say I glow in the dark by now but I'm still alive and kicking.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
(There's no radiation from sonograms, ultrasounds or MRIs... only CT scans, mammos & X-rays. Just a small clarification in case we have any lurking radiation-phobes.) 

I agree with Sixpack, by the way... whenever you get worried, just re-read her post!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cancer patients get regular CT scans.  if they carried a significant cancer risk, I somehow think they'd come up with a better imaging test :)   

I've had two CTs in my life; once for a potential infection (apparently if I'd had an infection in my spine a CT would have seen it??  Who knew!!), once for a huge ovarian cyst.  I think most health anxious people have one or two in their day, with no ill effects.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lynnmain

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I know exactly how you are feel. I have the same fear as you from 1 head CT scan I recieved this year. ( I am 31) I spent many nights crying over this and blaming myself for running to the doctors who then ordered a scan.
This has been my worst anxiety ever and is lasting longer than anything else I have worried about. I  am in therapy and I haven't googled in almost 3 weeks. I actually am finally starting to feel a little better and a lot of my negative thoughts have faded. Hopefully in time I can put this whole radiation fear in my past and never think of it again. I did learn my lesson and will not be going to the doctors for every little thing. I keep reminding myself that if I wasn't worrying about this I would probably be worrying about several other things.  I'm sorry you are going through this, I know how horrible it is. I hope you feel better knowing your not alone and that your fear will eventually pass. You also got great replies from others and you can always post again if you are still feeling down. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The cancer risk from one head CT is teeny tiny, you don't need to worry about it, easy to say I know I've had 3 CT scans, one head, one chest and one abdo pelvis and although it worries me a little, the risk is so low that I would get cancer from them even after 3 scans that I put it out of my head.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tryingtobesane

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This is an old thread, but I want to say thank you so much for it. It has helped calmed my nerves tremendously.

thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Gracious,
I've had 7 PET Scans head to knees
2 abdominal MRI's
30 plus mammograms
8 or 9 Ultrasounds
Too many CT scans to count!  Some were every 4 months, then 6 months, then 1 year and now back to every 6 months over 6 years now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: