Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Blood in Phlegm  (Read 829 times)

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood in Phlegm
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:37:24 AM »
Good morning,

I have been sick the past 10 days with a Upper Respiratory Infection and sinusitis. I was given Augmentin 875MG and Mucinex D for the Chest congestion. Fast forward to today, I have a day or 2 of the Antibiotics left. I feel alot better, but Im still coughing a little and and still somewhat congested. This morning, I woke up to cough all the drainiage out that I had in my chest, and out comes Bloody yellow Phlegm. It kind of startled me. So I cough up a few mor times and nothing but blood this time(Not a whole lot but blood streaks). So after about 10 minutes I had to cough up stuff again, and there was no blood at all.

So basically, my question is, is this normal for having an infection?
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood in Phlegm
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:54 AM »
I've read a few posts similar to yours recently. It sounds like you have had a pretty nasty infection. In the other posts folks said it was normal. What also happens is the gunk from your sinuses mixes in with the chest gunk...the sinus stuff often contains blood. I really don't think you have anything to be worried about, but i know how startling it can be when blood appears and you don't expect it. If it was me, I would monitor it today and if I was still worried on Monday morning, I would call my doctor to hear from them it was normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
I would follow up with your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Tupac

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
Good morning,

I have been sick the past 10 days with a Upper Respiratory Infection and sinusitis. I was given Augmentin 875MG and Mucinex D for the Chest congestion. Fast forward to today, I have a day or 2 of the Antibiotics left. I feel alot better, but Im still coughing a little and and still somewhat congested. This morning, I woke up to cough all the drainiage out that I had in my chest, and out comes Bloody yellow Phlegm. It kind of startled me. So I cough up a few mor times and nothing but blood this time(Not a whole lot but blood streaks). So after about 10 minutes I had to cough up stuff again, and there was no blood at all.

So basically, my question is, is this normal for having an infection?

Yes its normal. Its abnomal if you cough up blood throughout the day for at least a week. Its benign because it stopped bleeding. As long as theres no weight loss, persistent chest pain, you have nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
I have no Weight Loss, Fever ect. I feel alot better than last week, but I still have a cough. I had a Chest X-ray and all came back normal. Not sure if it is something that I just need to wait out till its over. Its been 14 days and Im finished with my antibiotics. I just hate bothering my Doctor about things. As much as I went to her for other issues I been dealining with, I dont want her to think I am a hypochondriac.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »
When was the last time you coughed up blood? If it hasn't happened since your first post about it, then there really isn't anything to worry about. And, you just had a chest xray, which was fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
*UPDATE* Went in today to see my PCM, had another chest X-ray done, and it came back negative again. Got put on a Z-Pack this time. Its been 17 days and counting. Ready to feel well again!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
For what it's worth, one time I thought I was coughing up blood because after I would cough, I would spit.  Lo and behold, blood!  So I'd spit again, more blood!  Ack!  I ended up looking at my tongue and determining I had a cut on it.  It would only bleed when I would make that suction a person does right before they spit.  It didn't look like it was bleeding if I just stared at it.  I don't know why the cut was there, but I'm allergic to walnuts and sometimes they do that to me.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags: