Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: bowel problems ugh...Ulcerative colitis/Crohn's fears  (Read 445 times)

Offline MikeInCA

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
bowel problems ugh...Ulcerative colitis/Crohn's fears
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:29 AM »
Hello there everyone!

I'm gonna apologize beforehand about the TMI that I am about to share. I'm really worried that I have an Inflammatory Bowel Disease like UC, Crohn's or another kind of gastro disorder Diverticulosis or Peptic Ulcers (and of course the even worse possibilities). My HA has gotten out of control in the last month. I know that anxiety can cause some of the symptoms that I am experiencing, but I have never had an IBS diagnosis, so it is very hard for me to believe that it is just anxiety. I've had loose stools for the last 2 weeks, with full-on diarrhea about 1/3 of that time. The last few days it has switched on me, to constipation. There is pain at different parts of my abdomen, both around stomach and intestines. The pain isn't so bad that I am doubling over or anything, just uncomfortable, and somewhat sharp at times. I have been burping a lot more than usual (gas?). There is a feeling like I haven't completely like I haven't fully emptied my bowels. I also have mucus in my stool all the time; this has been going on for awhile though. Now I don't think that there is blood in my stool, it's not black or anything, but I don't know if there is occult blood or anything like that. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow, and he'll most likely send me home with an occult blood test. I do see blood (bright red) on the toilet paper sometimes, but I do get hemmorhoids frequently. I don't have a fever or anything, and I had a CBC a month ago. I've read that IBD can be detected that way? I had similar problems about 2 years ago (different doc), and had it written off as anxiety, the only test being a fecal occult blood test. I opted not to have a colonoscopy because my doctor said he only offered it to ease my mind (regretting that now!). Hopefully he refers me to a GI doc, but I am going to do my best to let him make those decisions, as I don't want to alienate him with the hypochondria stuff (although he is fairly understanding). Does this sound like IBS? Or IBD? Anybody here with an IBD that can chime in? Any reassurance would be appreciated though, this kind of stuff just sends my HA into overdrive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WyattsMomma

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: bowel problems ugh...Ulcerative colitis/Crohn's fears
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:45:41 AM »
Whenever I am going through a very stressful time, or bad HA, I always have terrible bowel issues. Anywhere from gas, to explosive and bloody diarrhea. It is just from working yourself up I would bet. It really causes bad havoc on the digestive tract. I have even awoke in the middle of the night out of a deep sleep to throw up, just from pure stress. Try to get yourself calm, don't worry about the bowel issues and I am sure they will go away :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MikeInCA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:15:06 AM »
Thank you for the reply, WyattsMomma. I am hoping that's the case, hopefully my doc can shed some light on it. Ugh, the physical symptoms of anxiety really suck, recently its been chest pain and shortness of breath!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MikeInCA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
Anybody else? I have my appt in an hour...

Anbody with and IBD? Does this sound like one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »
I have been having bowel issues for some years now. I have identical issues to yours. My bowels feel like I haven't emptied them either, like pressure. I have sharp pain in the intestines as well. I go from diarrhea to constipation. Sometimes I have to run to the bathroom from diarrhea. Its become a daily issue now. I also have terrible gas. I can feel it moving and giving me the most horrible abdominal and stomach cramps. I have frequent hemmorhoids as well. Always have had them, since childhood. I've had a CBC recently too. I had a pelvic/abdominal ultrasound about three years ago. Nothing showed up. I had a spine MRI a few months back. I know spine is not intestines but the images showed slices of me from the butt up so I'm thinking if a mass of some sort was in me, it would have shown up as something on the MRI. Anyways, I haven't been to the doctor specifically for this and I'm horrified to because its a private area. I know they will send me for a colonoscopy which I dread. The only good thing is that I have been having these issues on and off for years and I'm not dead yet so how bad can it be?

I'm leaning towards Spastic Colon more than any either condition. Hope your appointment went well and let us know what they tell you, if you'd like.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline MikeInCA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
Thanks for replying JunoX

He suspects that it is IBS (he brought that up, not me), his reasons being that if there were inflammation going on, I would be in much more pain, I would be feverish and something would have shown up on the CBC more than likely. No mention of a colonoscopy, or any other testing. He is having me start a probiotic, to see if that will help. I see him again in April, if these problems are still going on I will push for more testing, but for now I am gonna just try and accept that nothing is seriously wrong with me. Easier said than done (already worrying that there's something wrong with my gallbladder....)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: