Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling better, for now.  (Read 196 times)

Offline phil_t2cs

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feeling better, for now.
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
Hi All,

quick update that might be of some help to someone else...

I went and bought a lot of recommended supps for anxiety but the only ones i have used are the Cod Liver Oil (omega 3) and the 5-htp. The first time i took the 5htp (Monday 100mg) it was a miracle. Felt better almost instantly, couldd function as normal and enjoy like with no anxiety at all. The night wasn't great however with very bad insomnia. This may have been due to the 5htp but could also have been any of my other medication. Tuesday, once again i experienced crippiling anxiety but i had only taken 50mg of the htp. I took another dose of 100mg and within an hour my mood was better and anxiety had gone. Ever since i have been sleeping ok but not great. Get a few hours then up for the rest of the night.

I have spoken with my dr and they have advised that what meds i am currently taking won't impact on the 5htp but they can't stand over that as they aren't familiar with its contents.

I have an apt for dr next week and have been told that anti-depressants would be helpful for me as the insomnia seems to be related to constant thoughts in my brain and just not being able to stop myself from thinking. I'm doing ok now but maybe thats the next step to make me as i was again. We'll see.

Also started CBT therapy and hopeful that it will help me deal with my negative thoughts and constant worrying. The therapist seems confident after the 1st session that CBT is the right thing for me.

With regards to the htp i would recommend 50mg or 100mg a day to see if it helps. I have read that the side effects of htp can be bad but mostly mitigated against if you keep the doses relativley small as above. We are all different so what works for one may not work for another.

Good luck all, any comments always welcome.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Fireraiser

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling better, for now.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »
Glad to hear that you are feeling better.  Good luck with your treatment and hope it all continues goes well!
Bookmark and Share
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling better, for now.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:57:19 AM »
Also started CBT therapy and hopeful that it will help me deal with my negative thoughts and constant worrying. The therapist seems confident after the 1st session that CBT is the right thing for me.

That's good that you've combined therapy with medication. It's always good to remember what your therapeutic goals are even when a relapse may seem likely. The one thing I would recommend is taking an integrative perspective for therapy - there are many other therapy forms and exercises that support your recovery from anxiety. Brief physical exercise, yoga, mindfulness meditation are some of many things people can look into outside of CBT. As for other therapy forms, it might be worth looking at Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) which may have some elements grounded in the CBT framework but their mode of behavioural change can differ.

Always be sure to see what the potential contraindications are between certain natural supplements and prescribed medications.

Best of luck and be well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: