Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Supplements for Anxiety  (Read 554 times)

Offline phil_t2cs

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Supplements for Anxiety
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
Hi All,

Been off the page for a couple of days but no improvment with Anxiety feelings etc... (If anything they are worse!)

Have got a session booked for tomorrow with a counsellor to start CBT so i'm hopeful that these feelings are going to be explained / resolved soon.

My question today i'm hoping for some answers on is around supplements to aid anxiety. I have just bought the following to try and i'd like your opinions/experiences on them:

5-HTP
DLPA
L-Tyrosine
Cod liver oil (omega 3 fatty acids)
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Supplements for Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:09 AM »
These sort of products work well for some people. They have no effects on other people. Before taken anything like this always consult your doctor or your local chemist. Especially if you are taken medication. Some will be fine to take with other forms of medications. Others might not be. Best to play it safe. But I hope some of them work for you. I am sure you will get a mixed bag of answers from members. Like I say, they work great for some people. Others don't really care for them. We all differ.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Hip

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:55:55 PM »
You may find the anti-anxiety supplements that the following thread directs you to beneficial, Phil:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,65832.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
I mimic Cuchculan's post - it may or may not work for you.

Really good to hear that you're giving therapy a shot - can help with defining your therapeutic goals and identify what you really want to work on. From what I read and heard from others, Kava appears to be potentially beneficial for the management/relief of anxiety (Sarris & Kavanagh, 2009). I've personally tried L-theanine before after reading some studies on its effectiveness for stress and anxiety - it's contained in green tea. I'm a little ambivalent about its effects: it felt like it worked in the short-term (this however could be due to the placebo effect given that I was extremely excited in expecting benefits from it) but did not necessarily help me in the long-term.

Let us know how you go :)
  • Jerome Sarris and David J. Kavanagh. (2009). Kava and St. John's Wort: Current Evidence for Use in Mood and Anxiety Disorders, The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. August 2009, 15(8): 827-836.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ava2209

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:28 AM »
Hi! I'm getting Vit B12 injections at the moment as my levels were quite low .. apparently there is evidence that it is directly connected to fatigue and depression/anxiety.

I'm not a doctor just relaying what mine said to me and research I've done.

A
Bookmark and Share

Tags: