Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Excitement turning into anxiety/panic!  (Read 392 times)

Offline BellaLuna

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Excitement turning into anxiety/panic!
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Well I've had an anxiety disorder for about four years now and I'm usually concerned with health related stuff, but this has also been bugging me a lot lately. It seems that almost EVERYTIME I have something exciting going on in my life, I automatically go from feeling happy to high anxiety. Things that in the past would bring me joy now just cause me to feel sick to my stomach or just very on edge.. Kind of like my default emotion is now always anxiety or fear.

We are adopting a dog (finally after looking for months!) and at first I was so happy about it. Today they are bringing the dog to our house and my whole family is so excited.. But I'm here wide awake at 4 am with a churning stomach and feeling like I can't take in a deep breath. This happens when I'm going to visit with a friend I haven't seen in a while, or when I hear really good news about various things. Anyone feel like they are stuck feeling only one emotion no matter what???
Bookmark and Share
"Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination". ~Christian Nevell Bovee

Offline All1Spirit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Excitement turning into anxiety/panic!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »
Eustress - good stress......distress - bad stress. Any type of change is stress - happy or bad!

To a sensitized nervous system they both have the same reaction in the brain
Bookmark and Share

Offline lcfrogs

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Oh yes  :yes: , I always feel very anxious when I'm excited. It feels exactly the same as when I'm stressed about something. You are not alone.
Bookmark and Share
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

"Just breathe, it will be okay"- my best friend

<3 LC

Offline Mishpaz

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
Funny, I had the same thing when we adopted our dog. I was so anxious I took a gravel to help calm me down when the dog arrived. I have troubling distinguishing good excitement from anxiety and so in general I have a tendency to not get excited about things because the feelings are too similar. Just know that once the dog arrives you may still feel anxious but there will be much distraction too and it won't be long before the anxious feelings turn to happy ones. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with being a dog owner and this could cause some added pressure. Again, it will go away and soon you will be wondering why you waited to adopt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BellaLuna

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.. They helped me realize I'm not alone with this! Everything went fine but the anticipation beforehand was rough. I just kept reminding myself that everything will be OK and took deep breaths. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination". ~Christian Nevell Bovee

Tags: