Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Journels for anxiety  (Read 808 times)

Offline jax79

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Journels for anxiety
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research on anxiety for self help and the more we fight it the more it stays I'm sure everyone knows this already. I know it's hard because sometimes I feel it's impossible to stop thinking the way we do. I read that there was a research for people with health anxiety who would write down their worries and fears everyday for 30 mins on the exact same time they started on the first day and they noticed the more they kept this journal the less they feared. They didn't say why or could give an explaniation why it just seemed to work. I'm going to try this in about a week to see if it works if anyone is willing to join me and check in with one another your more than welcomed. They say people lose weight faster when their doing it with someone(s) so I figured why not with anxiety. Anything is possible.

Thinking positive :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Twinhere

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Journels for anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
I actually started doing a journal too, hope it helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jax79

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
That's good how do you feel it's working?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Patrick14

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:46:11 PM »
I have read that keeping a journal is supposed to help and im willing to try anything at this point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Health-Scared

• Health
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • "Come on, just last the year."
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
I journal my fears and negative thoughts. I find it really helps me, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't seem to be working for you because everybody is different, get creative! I had a friend who found that dealing with his depression was easier when he sang, he now sings two nights a week at a bar in Brisbane and it is a great outlet for him. Also, I find cooking to be a great stress reliever.. Good luck, hope everything works out for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jax79

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »
I havent' started yet. I won't to go get a journal and try it to see if it helps relieve the anxiety and stress that the thoughts cause me. I feel like im TERRIFIED of everything and it's making me depressed and I can't live this way. I have 2 children and a wonderful husband! I refuse to lose them because of my silly anxiety so I'm will to try anything!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
Jax, I've been doing this for almost the whole time I've had anxiety - 35 years.  Not doing it regularly anymore, but in the beginning, I'd print up blank calendars.  When I would have symptoms, I'd write down my symptom in the "day" box and I'd also write down whatever "consciously" was going on in my life.  Over the course of a decade (or less), I saw many, many symptoms repeat themselves.  It was like a light went on.  What???!!!!  Seeing this IN WRITING confirmed to my brain that this was all in my head.  I was bringing on these symptoms.

35 years later, I can happily say that when I experience any physical symptom, 99% of the time, I write it off as being benign.  Or, I give it some time and it eventually goes away.  Sometimes the symptom sticks around for awhile (a few years ago I had the weak legs thing going on for about a year), but you know what?  I didn't lose any sleep over it.  I just KNEW in my heart that it was the anxiety.  Sure enough - it eventually went away.  This type of journaling, after time, can make you so strong.  Believe me! I'm definitely proof of that.

It takes persistence though and you need to be very diligent about it.  But, even after a year, if you keep track of symptoms and "events" in your life, a pattern will likely show up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jax79

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:22 AM »
That's awesome and very comforting to hear. I'm going to start it soon in hopes it works for me as it did you. When I write do I just write what I'm feeling and why I'm feeling that way? Should I write what I was doing that triggered it? Sometimes I noticed when my stress level is high my anxiety and thoughts kick in. When I start I will let you know :) Thanks for the encouragment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
Jax, you won't always know what is triggering your anxiety.  It could be something from 20 years ago that your brain just happened to focus on at that moment.

I used a regular calendar - the kind with the little blank boxes.  Not alot of room to write in, but enough to put down one word for a symptom and another word to describe a known stressor in your life at that time.  Sometimes it's just enough to see that the symptoms are recurring over months and years and you haven't died from them!  Sometimes, it also helps to see that your symptoms are associated with the known stress that you've listed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline coeus

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »
I have been doing a lot of research on anxiety for self help and the more we fight it the more it stays I'm sure everyone knows this already. I know it's hard because sometimes I feel it's impossible to stop thinking the way we do. I read that there was a research for people with health anxiety who would write down their worries and fears everyday for 30 mins on the exact same time they started on the first day and they noticed the more they kept this journal the less they feared. They didn't say why or could give an explaniation why it just seemed to work. I'm going to try this in about a week to see if it works if anyone is willing to join me and check in with one another your more than welcomed. They say people lose weight faster when their doing it with someone(s) so I figured why not with anxiety. Anything is possible.

Thinking positive :yes:

Keeping a journal can actually serve as complementary therapy for anxiety or general thoughts. I personally keep a journal for reflective thinking. It helps with creating a cohesive story about everything that's happen or worries. Helps quite a bit :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Journaling had been a long term steady companion to my broad approach to whatever misery may come my way. The root of my anxiety is primarily fear or worry and so I address these in my notebooks. Feel calmed, at least for a while.

Sometimes I use it to help remember my goals, understand my past, how I got from there to here, how I want to go out, how to remember the Buddhist principles I want to adhere to where most everything in the environment militates against them. This is expanding on the effectiveness of journaling. It works for me in any number of ways. If you prefer more guidelines or a more structured approach you can find information on the TEA form (Thought, Error, Analysis) which I used and referred to until I got to know my error categories and now feel free to address whatever I wish without necessarily that format.

It is wonderful that you are motivated to help yourself, esp. with young children (I'm assuming young). You might play library with them (something I used to do) for quiet time with books and your own journaling. Just sharing pleasant memories from the past.
Bookmark and Share

Offline geekynutcase

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
I just recently started journaling, and I've noticed that it does help. Instead of keeping it bottled inside, I'm able to pour my feelings down onto the paper. Of course, I've found that any type of writing outlet really helps me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fireraiser

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
I have done the same.  I would have my journal with me all the time and if I felt the need to write I would.  This really did help me.  It allowed me to verbalise what I felt after I had written it down.  This in tuen helped those supporting me, as it gave them an understanding of what was going on in my head.
Bookmark and Share
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

Offline cowardlylion

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
When I started dating again years back, I kept a journal. Wow did it help.

After a date, I would write out all my fears, anxieties, frustrations... and next thing I knew, I'd be remember details of really nice things that happened. I kept doing that over and over, and the same pattern happened. When I wrote out every single fear, the good stuff would come out at the end.

In that sense journalling emptied out my fears and reminded me of the good stuff that happened.

At some point, I didn't feel the need to do it anymore as the relationship was solid... and it remains so today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kiddatheart

• I don't bite.
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Kiddatheart
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 04:28:07 AM »
I have been journaling now for the last few months.

In the beginning I wrote events that could of triggered the anxiety, time of month, weather, lack of sunshine, anything that I could use as a trigger. That didn't prove to have any results. Then I began writing what i was thinking like dictation out of my head. Word for Word without the filters. Surprise!

The way I  talk to myself is so harsh. I had no kind words for me. I would Never talk to anyone else like I talk to myself. I keep reminding myself this is the most difficult thing in my life to survive and feel a little kindness and understanding would be in order! Now when the anxiety creeps up and attacks I write and my thoughts are getting much kinder. And a little easier to accept that I am going to struggle.

Good luck in writing! It helps and so does the posts.
D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: