Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Starting school having bad anxiety  (Read 237 times)

Offline jeffery5568

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Starting school having bad anxiety
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
I start school in the morning I am very nervous I really don't want to go but I know I need to. I have put it off for years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sweetnspunky

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting school having bad anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
I am guessing college. I am 27 and started school back last year. It was the best decision I ever made. It will be scary at first with a lot of anxiety but hang in there! I promise after the first day you start relaxing a bit. Just fight through the anxiety. It will be great!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jeffery5568

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
Ya college I am also 27 I hope I can relax and it goes well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cheeseflavoredpudding

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Anxiety is part of creativity, the need to get som
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »
School anxiety is something that I deal with too. Classes make me feel claustrophobic and I get nauseous etc. The key that I found is to look around and always have an escape route. It gives you a feeling that you can always leave if you have to. What do you feel like when you get there?
Bookmark and Share
:)

Offline jeffery5568

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »
I don't feel much better when I get there. I have anxiety because I put so much stress on my self to do well in school because its my only way out of the dead end job I am stuck at. It's like if I don't get an education I will be trapped forever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
Hi jeffery5568,

Speaking from experience (former faculty member), your anxiety (performance anxiety) is not unusual for people who are starting college after a break from high school. First, let me say that I admire you for returning to college. It is a different type of decision for someone who is 17 versus someone who is 27. But, you have the something that a 17 year old does not have . . .experience and perspective. These are both extremely strong attributes.

May I suggest the following? You need to look at college definitely as a means to take a giant leap away from a dead end job. You also should consider it as a means to reframe your anxiety. Anxiety produces adrenaline, so let reality brain use it to help you to accomplish your goals. Rather than let the adrenaline stay with anxiety brain and produce performance anxiety, use it to develop skills to accomplish your goals. Seek out Student Services to help you with any type of study skills you feel that you may need for your return to school. Consider the courses that you are taking so you do not overload yourself at the beginning (rather than taking 6 courses when you only need 4 . . .start slowly and ease your way in . . . nothing succeeds like success as the saying go and then next term, you can take more if you feel comfortable). If possible, find a study buddy so you have mutual support. Also, some colleges provide free "mentor-tutors" who are students who have already completed the course who volunteer to mentor other students through the course. Check it out . . . nothing gets rid of anxiety more quickly than to know what to expect and have the reassurance that you are progressing. And, please, do not view tests/exams as the be all and end all . . . .yes, grades are important, but I have counseled many students who needed a semester to adjust to the style of college / university system. Cut yourself some slack and do not value yourself based on the grades received . . . you can always improve your grades with different study methods, but it is much more difficult, especially those with performance anxiety (myself included) to recover from a hit on our self-esteem.

You're going to be fine . . . .remember it is a process and you will not be trapped in a dead end job because you have already shown your strength to take the step to return to college. . . . let us know how things are going ..  ..take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline jeffery5568

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the great advice performance anxiety is exactly what I have not only in school but in all parts of life.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: