Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hope  (Read 778 times)

Offline Mythreegirls

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hope
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
Hello All.

I haven't been to this site in a while. I used to read it everyday. Just wanted to relate my success story and hope it can help even just one person out there. In 2009 after losing a career, a house, a car, insurance, and having baby #3 born all within a couple months I started to have severe panic attacks. This was my second go around with panic. I had experienced it in my early twenties and thought I had cured myself of it. I had no idea that it coming back was even a remote possibility. It was hell. I went from 175 lbs to 145. I could not leave my house. I imagined there was no way out.

So I started to run. I could only do 1/2 a mile at first. The exertion caused panic attacks. I could only run around my house because of the agoraphobia. I built up a little stamina and started running around the neighborhood. Built up a little more and started running through other neighborhoods. After about a year of baby steps I competed in and finished a ten mile very hilly road race in 77 minutes. I now run 15 to 20 miles a week. I consider myself 99% normal again. I'll be 100% when I have a day go by that I don't think about the word "panic."

I'm glad I had the second go around with panic. Whereas I medicated myself out of the first battle, I exercised my way out of the second. (Also used and still use meds in addition to exercise). I had become very sedantary in my late 20's and early 30's. I am sure this was a major contributor to why I couldn't handle the life events that caused the recent panic. Running and exercise are now a part of my life and I am absolutely confident that my newfound strength will allow me to handle whatever life throws my way from now on.

I know exercise isn't the only way out but I am proof that it is worth a shot to see if it helps you in your struggle with anxiety.

-MTG
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happy sailing

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Flirty
    Flirty
  • I sought the Lord He delivered me from all my fear
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hope
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
That's great!  Thanks for your input!! Good to hear ANY success story!! Hope is what we need to keep people going towards what we can have!
How long did it take you to get to 99%?
 :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Wiiliam Shakespeare :       
“Frame thy mind to mirth and merriment, which bars a thousand harms, and lengthens life”

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Congrats M3G! Keep on truckin'!

Exercise was a critical part of me getting on some firm footing towards some lasting peace. Many years later, exercise is a critical part of keeping me moving, well, down my healing path. To me, vigorous, regular exercise (5-6 days a week) should be a part of everyones 'treatment plan' for anxiety issues. For something that can become so debilitating (anxiety / panic / fear / avoidance, etc), there simply should be little as far as excuses as to why we do not embrace a regimented exercise program in our lives. MAKE THE TIME....this is your well-being....and no one else is gonna do it for you. When I first began, the physical manifestations of exercising used to create lots of anxiety and panic, but this eventually wanes a great deal. I was a huge cardiophobe and getting my heart rate up was wildly fearful for me. But, ultimately, and with time, exercising is the BEST thing we can do to show our anxious minds that our bods are not failing us and that are minds aren't going crazy. The endorphins from exercise are wonderful. The health benefits are wonderful. The mental benefits are wonderful. We look better and feel better. What's not to LOVE!:)

Anxiety can beat us up and make us think, "what's the use...I just can't help myself...I'm pretty destined to live like this forever...exercise isn't gonna help ME...I just can't find the strength to begin...I'm scared that when I do try, I will fail." I thought this....it is anxiety chirping in your ear....it is not based in the truth. There are other actions and habits that we should embrace, also, but exercise is tremendously important in helping create the best overall approach in learning how to live, well, alongside our anxiety issues:)

Peace:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mythreegirls

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »
Happy,

Once I started running it took about a year.

I agree with Florida. It is very simple. Get your butt in gear and your mind will follow. I know how hard it is to start. I reached many plateaus along the way that I thought I couldn't get past. Florida is right. you don't have to do P90x or anything to start, but the goal should be to exercise as often as you can for as long as you can go. You would not believe the mental clarity you gain when your are in good shape. I could go on and on and sound really annoying. Exercise saved my life. It is that simple. I hope anybody who reads this will give it a try.

-MTG   
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »
Exercise saved my life. It is that simple.
-MTG

In my case, this I believe as well:)

Add acceptance and deep diaphragmatic breathing exercises and it is the 'great three', for me:)

Peace:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: