Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft and pregnancy??  (Read 237 times)

Offline colls22

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft and pregnancy??
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »
I am newly Wed, and would very much like to get pregnant. The problem is that I've been prescribed Zoloft as a new med to try. I see from many sources online that Zoloft may cause birth defects...does anyone have any experience with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline legs11

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and pregnancy??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »
Hi there

I have been on Zoloft for many years now. My obstetrician and psychiatrist told me that there is no conclusive evidence that Zoloft causes birth defects. I went off Zoloft anyway before I conceived but I needed to go back on it as my anxiety got out if control after my 19 week scan  I was assured that the baby's organs had all developed by that stage and that my anxiety would not be good for my baby if I was stressed. I delivered a perfectly healthy baby and he is now nearly 5 and the love of my life. When I am having a bad day he is what makes me get through it. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
zoloft is prescribed to pregnant and nursing moms.    I think some docs take women off zoloft at the end of pg.    I took zoloft when nursing my youngest.  There have been members, here, who were pg and took zoloft during pg.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline sohelpless

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
I think all AD's can cause this risk.  When I was pregnant many years ago, the doctor told me that Celexa was safe.  But then later I heard it wasn't.  I don't know, the best choice would be to not take anything but if you must, I would ask your doctor and pharmacist which one has the lowest risk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
I see from many sources online that Zoloft may cause birth defects...does anyone have any experience with this?

The evidence for this isn't as clear cut as it seems. Most studies find only a modest increase  in risk, and there is little consistency in the types of defects found. The only SSRI with good evidence of causing birth defects is Paxil (paroxetine).

You need to also be aware that uncontrolled maternal anxiety and/or depression can also harm the baby, both immediately and in the longer term. babies born to anxious or depressed mothers tend to have lower birth weights (PDF), be born prematurely and have impaired neuronal development (PDF). As children and adults they are more prone to asthma, dyslexia and to have learning difficulties. They are also much more likely to develop anxiety disorders and/or depression later in life.

I suggest you discuss have a baby with your family doctor and either a gynecologist or obstetrician who will be able to explain the various risk factors and your treatment options. You also need to start preparing yourself by taking folate supplements, exercising, etc.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: