Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out a bit here...  (Read 929 times)

Offline Turner1298

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out a bit here...
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
I have been having TMJ pain and problems for a while. Do see a chiro for it and scoliosis in two areas. I'm making an appnt first thing Monday am.

I am wondering though ~ anyone with TMJ have an enlarged sternomastoid muscle? I am having intermittent sharp needle like pains from my ear down, pain where my upper and lower jaw meet. I also have a tender spot mid lower jaw. I noticed today that my sterno mast muscle is larger and more prominent on that side. After googling, which is so wrong for me, I have myself conviced it's cancer.

Anyone out there with Fibro, TMJ or Myofascial have this problem? If so I would feel so much better.

I took my Ativan and pulling up my bootstraps to go to my first Mindfulness Yoga class this eve. I know this is the right thing to do. Just so sick of all the pain and other symptoms of all this and the anxiety and panic it causes.

Any input would be welcomed! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out a bit here...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:07 AM »
Yes.  I have tmj and I do have a more predominant scm muscle.  I don't think, though, they are exactly related (although I am sure clenching/teeth grinding is not helping).  The scm is most likely "enlarged" because of muscle tightness & tension (bad posture, cradling the phone, etc).  Also remember, our muscles are not 100% exactly the same, so that may be the way that it is.  I see a medical massotherapist for neck/shoulder issues (mostly stress & posture related - 2 drs recommended it to me).  Nothing is wrong with my scm.  I will say it is extremely tight and the massage therapy is very painful there, and my masso did tell me the dizziness/lightheaded feeling comes from a tight scm muscle.  although strecthes help, you may need a medical massotherapist.  It totally helped with my neck fears (i too worried about something growing in my neck from the tightness and pressure - but turns out it was all muscle tension). Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share
"If I could tell the world just one thing, it would be we're all ok.  And not to worry cause worry is wasteful and useless in times like these...." - "Hands" - Jewel

Offline Turner1298

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
It does help....thanks. Today now my whole neck and shoulder area is so tender and I can't touch my ear down to my shoulder. My jaw is killing me and I'm ready to scream. With my HA I've had myself dying from anything from vasculitis to lymphoma.

I took an ativan and stopped googling but am still miserable. Def going to chiro monday am. hoping he cab sort all this out. I would hate to have to go to immediate care when I could see the dr who always sees me.

I am glad to hear someone else has an enlarged sm muscle though.  :sign0092:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
No problem.  I too have HA and for whatever reason it strongly centers on my neck.  I am afraid of feeling anything in my neck.  I know when it "feels" like there is something there, sore, or tight, I need to go to the masso and it really helps the physical & mental symptoms.  I understand exactly where you are coming from.  And if your neck is that sore & stiff, you know deep down it is muscle & the chiropractor is the person to see.  Advil helps with muscle tension as well.  Hoping you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
"If I could tell the world just one thing, it would be we're all ok.  And not to worry cause worry is wasteful and useless in times like these...." - "Hands" - Jewel

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
I have health anxiety and I have TMJ and fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I have DVT too.
In the past I have had three kidney stone surgeries in an 8 week span (trust me NOT FUN!)
I have now as of today 4 mouth guards.
I went to the dentist and spent close to 700 dollars (hard earned money as at this time I do not have a job).
I was having teeth pain and splitting migraines. I found out that I have a cracked tooth and will need a crown in about a month and a half (as my dentist is going out of town for a month). But I also bought a book for TMJ and realized from reading it that there is a way to hold the tongue that helps combat the pain. Also ibuprofen helps. Magnesium helps. But also check how you sleep and the pain from the neck as you sleep.
Perhaps some of the pain can be from pent up stress and clenching of teeth. It is the nerves in my teeth that hurt at the moment.

There is a book regarding trigger points and fibromyalgia and there are some trigger points that deal with TMJ.
Perhaps you could find these at the bookstore or the library.

It describes better than I can what can be done to help with the pain of TMJ.

The dentist stated today that withthe economy the way it has been the last few years he has doubled the number of patients who are now using mouth guards and it has helped them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Turner1298

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
Oh the trigger points! Aren't they fun? I have stopped my Cymbalta and Fibro is back in full force.  TMJ sux, rib pain sux, fatigue sux. And it all leaves me hoping it's not more serious. Sigh.....
I am trying a mouth guard.
On a frustrating note: found out my son is grinding too and getting tmj symp. He's only 9. My 6 year old daughter is wearing her front top teeth away with night grinding.
Thanks for the mouth guard tip. Hope it helps!
Bookmark and Share